Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Frank Mir - A myriad of threats

Print  
Posted By Message

Bubbles

Come at me bro

Bubbles Avatar

Career:1,120-670
Chips:
Fight day is here! As I get set for my fight at UFC 140 Saturday night, I take great confidence from the belief that I have more ways to win than my opponent Antonio (Minotauro) Nogueira. Although a great fighter in his own right, I truly don't think "Big Nog" has the same options as me going into this fight.

Let me explain. If I'm not happy with the way the fight is going on my feet, I have the option of taking it to the floor and maintaining control there, and the same applies if I'm unhappy with how my grappling is working out. Nogueira will have to be resigned to do whatever I want him to do in this fight.

Sure, he can fight me jiu-jitsu versus jiu-jitsu, but if there comes a point where he doesn't like what's going on down there, he's not going to be able to change that. I can change where this fight takes place, he can't. If he starts getting hurt on his feet in a striking battle, I really don't see how he is going to take me down and take me away from what I was doing with punches and kicks.

keep reading

Men be careful, female sexual predators are using a date rape drug called a Blowjob to trap men into scams called relationships.

Post #1   12/10/11 1:49:27PM   

KungFuMaster

Heavyweight Champ

KungFuMaster Avatar

Career:423-341
Camp: The Lone Ranger(s)
Chips:
It looked like Mir did exactly as he said he would ( with a little help from the gods of MMA of course.)

Post #2   12/11/11 12:06:56AM   

Budgellism

Raptors Fan

Budgellism Avatar

Career:2,669-1,526
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:

Posted by KungFuMaster

It looked like Mir did exactly as he said he would ( with a little help from the gods of MMA of course.)

I still can't believe someone made Big Nog tap. And to do it the way Frank did is even crazier.

Post #3   12/11/11 12:51:52AM   

KungFuMaster

Heavyweight Champ

KungFuMaster Avatar

Career:423-341
Camp: The Lone Ranger(s)
Chips:

Posted by Budgellism

Posted by KungFuMaster

I still can't believe someone made Big Nog tap. And to do it the way Frank did is even crazier.

Mir is strong ( not ferociously strong like Brock but he is one of the more stronger HW fighters and you can attribute that to he being one of the bigger HW fighters.

I think it was the size difference which added to how this fight played out. Mir was obviously the bigger and stronger man. It did not seem that way when the fight first started but that is only because Mir is a passive fighter. He is passive with his offense and passive with his strength.

Mir proved to me tonight he is one of the more stronger HW fighters. In the past, Mir has always been too relaxed and relied more on techniques versus physical strength. Tonight he demonstrated the best combination which is strength and technique which ultimately broke Big Nog's shoulder and or arm.

Post #4   12/11/11 1:34:48AM   

Pookie

Remember Paul Herrera

Pookie Avatar

Career:1,804-1,005
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by Budgellism

Posted by KungFuMaster

That slowpoke is high as fuck.

Great Avatar

Post #5   12/11/11 3:32:02AM   

isk

In Full Mount

isk Avatar

Career:-
Chips:
It sounds a little bad to say this, because I actually had Big Nog picked to win and I hope he has a speedy and full recovery, but I'm so glad Herb Dean didn't stop the fight when Mir was face down, barely hanging on for a takedown.

That kimura was vicious, disgusting, and brilliant. The sequence of sweeps and reversals within a few seconds was even better than the super slick kneebar roll from Cholish earlier in the card. And KungFuMaster is absolutely right - Mir isn't quite the beast that Lesnar, Carwin, etc. are when it comes to brute crushing force, and he's generally lacked aggression and hustle in his career. But he is still a very strong dude with very good technique.

Provided Big Nog makes a recovery, I don't think he's quite done. I think he can still remain a firm test for any up-and-comer in the division. But since Cro Cop retired I just don't see any more compelling fights for him. I think he can go out on his shield with pride (do you see what I did there) and I'll always remember him for the wrecking ball he used on Schaub.

Post #6   12/11/11 11:54:34AM   

Pookie

Remember Paul Herrera

Pookie Avatar

Chips:
Yeah, i think Nogueira came out looking like the better fighter after the fight.

Post #7   12/11/11 12:10:47PM   

KingCmb

Standup Guy

KingCmb Avatar

Career:935-862
Chips:

Posted by Pookie

Yeah, i think Nogueira came out looking like the better fighter after the fight.

. really cuz from what I saw he lost

Post #8   12/11/11 12:27:42PM   

Pookie

Remember Paul Herrera

Pookie Avatar

Chips:

Posted by the-king

Posted by Pookie

I dont see how you can't differentiate what i'm saying from what you mean.

Post #9   12/11/11 1:39:33PM   

KingCmb

Standup Guy

KingCmb Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Pookie

Posted by the-king

Posted by Pookie

. I genuinly can't I saw the fight Mir was hurt but not out and he straight up out bjjd nog Mir wasn't dominated in any facet of the game one could atempt to say he was in striking bit the sample size was simply to small add this to the fact MIr has two wins over nog to nogs zero I see no way any sane man can call nog the better fighter it's plain nuthugging

Post #10   12/11/11 5:06:59PM   

Wolfenstein

Heavyweight Champ

Wolfenstein Avatar

Career:1,304-730
Chips:

Posted by the-king

Posted by Pookie

Posted by the-king

Posted by Pookie

. I genuinly can't I saw the fight Mir was hurt but not out and he straight up out bjjd nog Mir wasn't dominated in any facet of the game one could atempt to say he was in striking bit the sample size was simply to small add this to the fact MIr has two wins over nog to nogs zero I see no way any sane man can call nog the better fighter it's plain nuthugging

I think you're misinterpreting...I think he's saying Nog gained a bit more from that fight than Mir..ie, previously Nog got crushed by mir in the striking department and people questioned whether it was the staph or not...a lot of people thought Nog was finished...well after the way he performed on his feet against mir and the way he performed against Schaub as well...a lot of people are thinking maybe his career isn't as close to the finish line as people expected.

Mir was expected to win, although it's super--impressive he subbed Nog...he may have dropped a little in regards to where people thought he stood in the HW division, because he was getting outclassed on the feet. I personally expected he would mop the floor with Nog on the feet using that uppercut combo he seems to prefer...didn't happen. Great finish, but I don't see the improvement I was expecting to see...it raises questions as to whether his standup just isn't as good as thought.

If you don't think mir was getting dominated on the feet, no offense but I'm not sure you were watching the same fight as the rest of us.

Last edited 12/12/11 1:44AM server time by Wolfenstein
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #11   12/12/11 1:42:19AM   

Pookie

Remember Paul Herrera

Pookie Avatar

Chips:
And in the clinch.

Post #12   12/12/11 3:15:20AM   

KingCmb

Standup Guy

KingCmb Avatar

Chips:
I agree he was losing standing but he got caught early and was Wobblie of course he was outstriked after he was rocked that happens to most fighters but I agree big showed his career is far from finished however he's not a better fighter because he won one aspect of the fight for a half a round

Post #13   12/12/11 11:07:22AM