Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

What's Missing From UFC's Response to Miguel Torres, Rashad Evans? Consistency.

Print  
  Page 2 of 3     1     2     3  
Posted By Message

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Career:1,496-876
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
I also want to add something that isn't gonna make me very popular...

First of all, I am not happy with the way the UFC handled this PARTICULAR situation. I think it was harsh and unfair considering the treatment of Rashad and Forrest.

BUT.... I don't think that everyone's response is entirely fair. People calling for concrete policy are missing the point. I agree with consistency (given the exact same set of circumstances reacting exactly the same). I do not agree with tying your hands.

Handling things on a case by case basis gives you flexibility. For instance, if Rashad received a harsher punishment than Forrest or Torres, I'd be all for it because his offense was more egregious.

As the boss of the UFC I would never put a rule on the books that said "Anyone who mentions rape on twitter gets the boot." Context and slight differences make a difference.

Once again though, in this particular situation, Dana is mishandling it.

Post #16   12/9/11 10:17:49PM   

Bubbles

Come at me bro

Bubbles Avatar

Career:1,120-670
Chips:
Lansberg once again shows his doucheness. i wanna drop kick that asshole everytime i see his face

i already said my pieces on DFW in previous threads

Men be careful, female sexual predators are using a date rape drug called a Blowjob to trap men into scams called relationships.

Post #17   12/10/11 1:01:59AM   

Lethal

MMA Regular

Lethal Avatar

Career:165-104
Camp: Team Mafia
Chips:

Posted by Chael_Sonnen

Wonder how Frank Mir is handling this

I was thinking the same thing.

Post #18   12/10/11 1:44:04AM   

airkerma

KE Released in MAtter

airkerma Avatar

Career:1,007-579
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:

Posted by bjj1605

Posted by KungFuMaster

Posted by ghandikush

Posted by KungFuMaster

Does anyone not realize Torres' first amendment right has been violated?

I'm sorry he is arrested right now?

I don't get it.

He's mentioned being arrested because you mentioned the first amendment.

The first amendment covers you against government action, not the actions of businesses or individuals. People are entitled to not like what you say and react accordingly.

Actually, as a fun fact, the first amendment as originally written in the constitution protected you only from FEDERAL prosecution, not from the states.

I think the last part is somewhat incorrect since Federal law trumps all. If you were to appeal a case it would eventually reach a Federal court and then they would rule in the favor of free speech. I may be incorrect since this isn't really my field, but it seems to me such a large loophole would have been utilized many times.

As for the original post...this is a corporation. They can fire you for whatever they want. For example, if you go up to your boss and tell him he's a stupid prick and can go fuck himself, you may not last very long there.

Post #19   12/10/11 10:34:54AM   

jjeans

Emma Watson Picture Incoming

jjeans Avatar

Career:1,126-675
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:

Posted by tmas

as a rape victim myself i found what Rashad, and Forrest said more offensive then what MIguel said.

Can I ask how?

Thiago Silva nuthugger.

Admin of MMA Memes of Facebook. A Roundtable Analyst on The MMA Podcast. Journalist for MMA Mental.

Dirty Blue #DoItForWatson

Post #20   12/10/11 11:09:50AM   

Svartorm

Hammer of the Gods

Svartorm Avatar

Career:2,077-1,253
Chips:

Posted by ghandikush

Posted by KungFuMaster

Exactly. 1st Amendment isn't some behavioral blanket of protection. Try calling your boss a "f*****g c**t" and see if you're protected from being fired.

DREAM 1 - 2nd in Pts
Cage Rage 23 - 6th in Pts
Secondary League Season 3 - 12th in Pts
Secondary League Season 7 - 16th in Wagers
Primary League Season 7 - 26th in Wagers
Secondary League Season 6 - 30th in Pts
Secondary League Season 1 - 31st in Pts
Primary League Season 6 - 39th in Wagers
Secondary League Season 7 - 41st in Pts

Post #21   12/10/11 11:31:31AM   

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Career:2,255-1,187
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by Svartorm

Posted by ghandikush

Posted by KungFuMaster

Exactly. 1st Amendment isn't some behavioral blanket of protection. Try calling your boss a "f*****g c**t" and see if you're protected from being fired.

I can't wait until Monday!

Post #22   12/10/11 11:34:52AM   

mrsmiley

Heavyweight Champ

mrsmiley Avatar

Career:1,456-844
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:
I'm not an expert on law,so maybe someone can help me out.
From what I know you are protected from freedom of speech against your government and not a workplace,but your right to speak consertedly is protected and is extended to union and non-union workers alike.

So something like a rape joke may get you fired but if a few of the fighters were to get together and talk about how their boss is mishandling himself or believe he's not being fair they are protected to do so.
I think that's right anyways.

Post #23   12/10/11 1:34:16PM   

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Chips:

Posted by airkerma

I think the last part is somewhat incorrect since Federal law trumps all. If you were to appeal a case it would eventually reach a Federal court and then they would rule in the favor of free speech. I may be incorrect since this isn't really my field, but it seems to me such a large loophole would have been utilized many times.

As for the original post...this is a corporation. They can fire you for whatever they want. For example, if you go up to your boss and tell him he's a stupid prick and can go fuck himself, you may not last very long there.

What you said about "Federal law" trumping all is due to an amendment, sort of.

The 14th Amendment was passed in 1968 as part of Civil War reconstruction.

Prior to that amendment, the Federal Bill of Rights did not apply to the states.

However, prior to this amendment, in cases where the Federal Government and states had conflicting LAWS (not constitutional rights) Federal laws would override state laws.

I'm going for my PhD in Poli Sci, btw. So where this "really isn't (your) field" it certainly is mine.

Edit: One more fun fact. Along these same lines (first amendment not applying to individual reactions) the Supreme Court decided in 1883 that the government did not have the right to outlaw discrimination by individuals. This ruling has never been overturned, though it is ignored modern day. Therefore, according to the most recent supreme court ruling, Civil Rights laws are unconstitutional (though I think everyone agrees that they're good and we should continue to ignore that case.)

Last edited 12/10/11 3:45PM server time by bjj1605
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #24   12/10/11 3:41:21PM   

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Chips:

Posted by mrsmiley

I'm not an expert on law,so maybe someone can help me out.
From what I know you are protected from freedom of speech against your government and not a workplace,but your right to speak consertedly is protected and is extended to union and non-union workers alike.

So something like a rape joke may get you fired but if a few of the fighters were to get together and talk about how their boss is mishandling himself or believe he's not being fair they are protected to do so.
I think that's right anyways.

You're talking about a different issue.

This depends on if you live in a right to work state and if you're employed "at-will."

If you live in right to work state (or live in another state but are not a member of a Union) chances are that you are employed "at will" (meaning there is no contract or defined period of employment). If this is the case, your employer can fire you for any reason other than those protected by law (race, ethnicity, gender) (unless you live in Montana).

People usually think there job is a lot more secure than it is. Most of the time, the employer doesn't even have to give you a reason and you have no legal recourse.

Post #25   12/10/11 3:56:38PM   

Kpro

I STAB WATERBEDS!

Kpro Avatar

Career:2,409-1,229
Chips:
I'm guessing we won't hear any rape chokes on a FOX broadcast.

Post #26   12/11/11 7:23:12AM   

Redkayak

MMA Regular

Redkayak Avatar

Career:112-124
Chips:
Any new word on this.

I'd sue for not being treated equally
Yeah i would.

Post #27   12/11/11 11:20:58PM   

Svartorm

Hammer of the Gods

Svartorm Avatar

Career:2,077-1,253
Chips:
You ready for inconsistent?

"learn how spell dummy!!! Assassination!!!! The one you spelled is what must have happened to you in prison."

-Dana White via twitter last night

So, prison rape jokes are ok, but rape van jokes aren't.

DREAM 1 - 2nd in Pts
Cage Rage 23 - 6th in Pts
Secondary League Season 3 - 12th in Pts
Secondary League Season 7 - 16th in Wagers
Primary League Season 7 - 26th in Wagers
Secondary League Season 6 - 30th in Pts
Secondary League Season 1 - 31st in Pts
Primary League Season 6 - 39th in Wagers
Secondary League Season 7 - 41st in Pts

Post #28   12/15/11 8:49:52AM   

Bubbles

Come at me bro

Bubbles Avatar

Career:1,120-670
Chips:

Posted by Svartorm

You ready for inconsistent?

"learn how spell dummy!!! Assassination!!!! The one you spelled is what must have happened to you in prison."

-Dana White via twitter last night

what a fucking tool

Men be careful, female sexual predators are using a date rape drug called a Blowjob to trap men into scams called relationships.

Post #29   12/15/11 9:25:23AM   

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Career:2,255-1,187
Chips:

Posted by Svartorm

Not only that, but when you call someone out for a misspelling, make sure you use proper grammar. Please?

"learn how spell dummy!!!"

Post #30   12/15/11 10:23:20AM   

Page 2 of 3     1     2     3