Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Carlos Newton retires from MMA

Print  
Posted By Message

FastKnockout

$ Impin' Ain't Easy $

FastKnockout Avatar

Career:1,786-990
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
According to Mike Russell on CagePotato, MMA legend Carlos Newton has quietly retired in a dignified manner, and has changed his priorities in life and the sport.

“I’m retired,” Newton explained. “The sport just isn’t as competitive as it used to be,” Newton said in an interview with CP. “I’m just concentrating on helping to improve the regulation of the sport and I’m looking into becoming a judge. I think that as fighters we have a lot more knowledge and insight into the intricacies of what’s going on in a fight than someone who has never competed. MMA judging needs fixing and I’m hoping I can help do it.”

Newton had a storied career in MMA, with his most shining moment when he submitted Pat Miletich at UFC 31 by bulldog choke in a dramatic welterweight title match. Matt Hughes would beat Newton for it at UFC 34 via a controversial powerbomb, another highlight reel moment for both men. Newton also fought in Pride FC, and coached and fought in the IFL.

Newton, who ended his career with a record of 16-4, will continue teaching MMA, while he attends architecture school simultaneously. “I’ll always be involved with the sport,” he said. “Definitely.” We wish Newton good luck in his future endeavors, no matter what they may be.

LINK

Post #1   12/8/11 6:15:17PM   

tcunningham

Combat Sport and Fitness

tcunningham Avatar

Career:508-351
Chips:
i was never a fan of newton's but now that he's retired i respect him for the direction he is going. we need as many prior fighters as judges as we can get. hopefully carlos can get something done

Post #2   12/8/11 7:27:02PM   

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Career:1,543-899
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
I assumed he was already retired.

Post #3   12/8/11 7:32:49PM   

machodog76

MMA Sensei

machodog76 Avatar

Career:2,663-1,643
Camp: country KO
Chips:
“The sport just isn’t as competitive as it used to be,” translation,"It just isn’t as easy to be competitive with one skill set". I've always been a fan of his but this statement really only applies to GSP and The Spider . The sport is just as competitive as it ever was, it's just that it's passed Carlos by.

Post #4   12/8/11 8:15:41PM   

KungFuMaster

Heavyweight Champ

KungFuMaster Avatar

Career:423-342
Camp: The Lone Ranger(s)
Chips:
I thought he wanted to be a doctor.

Anyway, Newton was one of the most likable fighters in the world of MMA. He never had a training camp he called home which is why he is the Ronin.

Post #5   12/8/11 8:28:42PM   

Budgellism

Randy

Budgellism Avatar

Career:2,828-1,619
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
Newton vs. Sakuraba is a MUST see fight if you're a fan of mma. The guy, while not being the best fighter in the world, has definitely left his imprint on the world of mixed martial arts.

Post #6   12/8/11 10:08:52PM   

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Career:1,543-899
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:

Posted by machodog76

“The sport just isn’t as competitive as it used to be,” translation,"It just isn’t as easy to be competitive with one skill set". I've always been a fan of his but this statement really only applies to GSP and The Spider . The sport is just as competitive as it ever was, it's just that it's passed Carlos by.

the one thing I will say is that its definitely more of a "sport" now.

Back in the day technique and thinking mattered more than they do now.

Athleticism and strength are becoming more and more important as the level of the athletes increases.

That could be good or bad depending on your point of view.

Post #7   12/8/11 10:33:54PM   

Bubbles

Come at me bro

Bubbles Avatar

Career:1,120-670
Chips:

Posted by bjj1605

I assumed he was already retired.

same here

Men be careful, female sexual predators are using a date rape drug called a Blowjob to trap men into scams called relationships.

Post #8   12/9/11 9:50:59PM