Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Melvin Guillard Finds Missing Pieces with Blackzilians

Print  
Posted By Message

FastKnockout

TRICK 'R TREAT

FastKnockout Avatar

Career:1,856-1,025
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
Sometimes, you just have to make a change to improve your situation. That’s pretty much the case with Melvin Guillard.

From Guillard’s perspective, there are things – important things – he’s missing by keeping 100 percent of his training within the walls of Jackson’s MMA. But that’s not to say he’s ready to up and leave the camp altogether. Guillard has teamed up with the “Blackzilian” crew down in Florida, but he plans on splitting his time with them, as well as Team Jackson.

This leaves one wondering: are things okay at Team Jackson and was there tension that caused Guillard’s departure?

According to “The Assassin,” people need to stop making an issue out of an non-issue and realize there are no problems with the camp. The problem, rather, lays within Guillard.

“I’m still part of Team Jackson,” he told MMAWeekly Radio Weekend Edition. “People need to not make everything so much more than it is because then it causes problems.

“There is no problem in any camp. The problem is with myself. I feel that I get certain things (with the Blackzilians) that I don’t get at Jackson’s. Just like I feel I get certain things at Jackson’s that I don’t get here.”

LINK

Post #1   12/5/11 5:59:36PM   

Budgellism

Randy

Budgellism Avatar

Career:2,900-1,652
Chips:
I don't think this is the kind of camp change he needs. He needs to work on keeping his composure and he also needs to drill his submission defence a lot more. Work on submission offence as well just to keep evolving. He could benefit greatly from going to train with Matt Serra or Cesar Gracie.

Post #2   12/5/11 6:11:06PM   

FlashyG

Heavyweight Champ

FlashyG Avatar

Career:2,343-1,317
Chips:
I think this is a better way to train for professional fighters providing it doesn't double the list of fighters a fighter won't face.

If it has the opposite effect and causes fighters to prevent making those bonds that keep them from being able to fight one another, its a great thing for the sport.

Most of Jackson's camp doesn't train there full time anyways.

The more places these guys train the more well rounded they'll become which is another bonus for fans.

I think Guillard is showing a lot more maturity now, I hope it translates into success for him, he's fun to watch.

Post #3   12/5/11 6:14:15PM   

FastKnockout

TRICK 'R TREAT

FastKnockout Avatar

Career:1,856-1,025
Chips:
Guillard's downfall is his overconfidence. Not something you can fix by switching camps.

Post #4   12/5/11 6:45:56PM   

tcunningham

Combat Sport and Fitness

tcunningham Avatar

Career:519-361
Chips:
hes had a ton of fights, i would be surprised if he can change completely. he's extremely athletic with tons of potential, i just think hes about as far as he's gonna go in the LW div IMO

Post #5   12/5/11 9:59:34PM   

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Career:1,566-910
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:

Posted by Budgellism

I don't think this is the kind of camp change he needs. He needs to work on keeping his composure and he also needs to drill his submission defence a lot more. Work on submission offence as well just to keep evolving. He could benefit greatly from going to train with Matt Serra or Cesar Gracie.

Ya I agree.

There is one thing that both Team Jackson and Melvin Guillard are missing: Good jiu jitsu.

He should be going to like Nova Unao or Team Cesar Gracie or something.

Post #6   12/6/11 12:11:43AM   

NE-1

MMA Regular

NE-1 Avatar

Career:1,332-913
Camp: GSPeed on your face
Chips:
I find it funny that people are saying that he needs to go somewhere to improve his ground game.

Apparently people here are under the impression that Jorge Santiago, JZ Cavalcante, Antonio Silva, Danillo Villefort, Marcus Aurelio, and Yuri Villefort all have shit ground games.....

Last edited 12/6/11 1:59PM server time by Ne-1
Edit note/reason: n/a
2 total post edits

Post #7   12/6/11 1:54:27PM   

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Chips:

Posted by NE-1

I find it funny that people are saying that he needs to go somewhere to improve his ground game.

Apparently people here are under the impression that Jorge Santiago, JZ Cavalcante, Antonio Silva, Danillo Villefort, Marcus Aurelio, and Yuri Villefort all have shit ground games.....

Nope. But having good training partners is not the same things as having good instructors.

And as good as those guys are, none of them are really SUPERSTARS on the ground. Melvin is in a position where his ground game needs to improve a lot and fast. He's reached a level in the sport where lacking a ground game is not gonna fly.

He needs like a Demian Maia or a Marcelo Garcia to teach him jiu jitsu.

Post #8   12/6/11 3:15:56PM   

NE-1

MMA Regular

NE-1 Avatar

Chips:

Posted by bjj1605

Posted by NE-1

Nope. But having good training partners is not the same things as having good instructors.

And as good as those guys are, none of them are really SUPERSTARS on the ground. Melvin is in a position where his ground game needs to improve a lot and fast. He's reached a level in the sport where lacking a ground game is not gonna fly.

He needs like a Demian Maia or a Marcelo Garcia to teach him jiu jitsu.

I've trained with two of the aforementioned guys and they are very good instructors and very accomplished grapplers.

Your argument is like saying I could have been better at basketball if I'd learned from Kobe instead of Dwayne Wade; or something to that effect. Look at Jones, guy trained for a few years has a great ground game and didn't learn from a "Superstar". Your own limitations are what hold you back, not because I didn't have the best grappler as my coach. Thats not a testament to good instruction.

Post #9   12/6/11 7:00:30PM   

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Chips:

Posted by NE-1

I've trained with two of the aforementioned guys and they are very good instructors and very accomplished grapplers.

Your argument is like saying I could have been better at basketball if I'd learned from Kobe instead of Dwayne Wade; or something to that effect. Look at Jones, guy trained for a few years has a great ground game and didn't learn from a "Superstar". Your own limitations are what hold you back, not because I didn't have the best grappler as my coach. Thats not a testament to good instruction.

None of the guys you mentioned are the jiu jitsu equivalent of "Kobe."

And there's a couple more false assumptions/claims made in your post.

First, I don't doubt that those guys are fine jiu jitsu instructors. Aurelio in particular. Santiago looks good on the ground too. But there are two things you have to realize. First one: being good at jiu jitsu is not the same as being good at teaching jiu jitsu. Consider that Fredie Roach is one of the worlds best boxing coaches when he'd probably get killed by ANY of the guys he teaches to fight. Second one: just that fact that all of those guys are active fighters means they can't fully commit themselves to coaching. I've experience this first hand with Jeff Curran. The guys an absolutely amazing jiu jitsu coach but he never feels like he can coach and train for a fight, so he focuses one or the other at a time.

Second, I'm not even suggesting that many people can't learn jiu jitsu from Jackson MMA or any of the guys you mentioned. What I'm saying is this Melvin's ground game is SO bad, at such a high level, that he needs to get a lot better REALLY fast. Its a special situation where he requires more than just a "good" coach. He needs a superstar. That doesn't mean everyone does all the time.

Third, the use of Jon Jones as an example of a good jiu jitsu guy from Jackson MMA was really funny. He's an amazing fighter, amazing wrestler, and an amazing athlete. Jiu jitsu wizard he is not.

Lots of fighters have commented on the lack of jiu jitsu at Jackson MMA. He has his own system that isn't real BJJ. That's why so many people make fun of the "blackbelts" that come out of that gym.

Post #10   12/7/11 3:22:35AM   

NE-1

MMA Regular

NE-1 Avatar

Chips:

Posted by bjj1605

None of the guys you mentioned are the jiu jitsu equivalent of "Kobe."

And there's a couple more false assumptions/claims made in your post.

First, I don't doubt that those guys are fine jiu jitsu instructors. Aurelio in particular. Santiago looks good on the ground too. But there are two things you have to realize. First one: being good at jiu jitsu is not the same as being good at teaching jiu jitsu. Consider that Fredie Roach is one of the worlds best boxing coaches when he'd probably get killed by ANY of the guys he teaches to fight. Second one: just that fact that all of those guys are active fighters means they can't fully commit themselves to coaching. I've experience this first hand with Jeff Curran. The guys an absolutely amazing jiu jitsu coach but he never feels like he can coach and train for a fight, so he focuses one or the other at a time.

Second, I'm not even suggesting that many people can't learn jiu jitsu from Jackson MMA or any of the guys you mentioned. What I'm saying is this Melvin's ground game is SO bad, at such a high level, that he needs to get a lot better REALLY fast. Its a special situation where he requires more than just a "good" coach. He needs a superstar. That doesn't mean everyone does all the time.

Third, the use of Jon Jones as an example of a good jiu jitsu guy from Jackson MMA was really funny. He's an amazing fighter, amazing wrestler, and an amazing athlete. Jiu jitsu wizard he is not.

Lots of fighters have commented on the lack of jiu jitsu at Jackson MMA. He has his own system that isn't real BJJ. That's why so many people make fun of the "blackbelts" that come out of that gym.

First, you've completely contradicted yourself in this statement

"First one: being good at jiu jitsu is not the same as being good at teaching jiu jitsu. Consider that Fredie Roach is one of the worlds best boxing coaches when he'd probably get killed by ANY of the guys he teaches to fight."

I believe you were saying that he had to have the best BJJ superstar to get better, so which one is it? BJ Penn world champ in BJJ in under a year, good instructor, but better talent. The reason Melvin is inadequate on the ground is either he's just not good at BJJ or doesn't care enough to be. No superstar can fix that.

Second, using jones wan't an attempt to substantiate Jackson MMA. I was trying to make clear that with the same instructors as Melvin he has a very capable BJJ game. Second person to submit Rampage in over 40 fights against top competition. Slapped a text-book choke on Bader. (Yes I know Bader is no ground wizard). Watch the Shogun fight, he nearly hit a beautiful kneebar from guard, spet most the the time passing shoguns guard like butter, and easily got out of every sub attempt thrown up by shogun. Maybe you can elaborate on what was comical....

Post #11   12/7/11 11:06:49AM   

Svartorm

Hammer of the Gods

Svartorm Avatar

Career:2,077-1,253
Chips:

Posted by FastKnockout

Guillard's downfall is his overconfidence. Not something you can fix by switching camps.

Exactly! Roller almost KO'd him because he's developed so much contempt for fighters. He didn't fix the issue and Lauzon made him pay.

DREAM 1 - 2nd in Pts
Cage Rage 23 - 6th in Pts
Secondary League Season 3 - 12th in Pts
Secondary League Season 7 - 16th in Wagers
Primary League Season 7 - 26th in Wagers
Secondary League Season 6 - 30th in Pts
Secondary League Season 1 - 31st in Pts
Primary League Season 6 - 39th in Wagers
Secondary League Season 7 - 41st in Pts

Post #12   12/7/11 11:09:58AM