Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Frank Mir Doesn't Want to Hear Excuses from Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Career:2,327-1,229
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
Three years ago, Frank Mir defeated Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira at UFC 92 in a one-sided beating that many of Nogueira's supporters blamed on a staph infection that had plagued Nogueira during his training camp.

After three years of hearing people suggest that he only beat Nogueira because of that staph infection, Mir has heard enough.

In comments to the media Thursday during a promotional call for his UFC 140 rematch with Nogueira, Mir said he thinks fighters who blame a sluggish performance on illnesses or injuries are doing a disservice to their opponents, and that he's tired of all the talk that the staph infection had something to do with Mir's second-round technical knockout victory in December of 2008.

LINK

Post #1   12/2/11 10:07:16AM   

airkerma

KE Released in MAtter

airkerma Avatar

Career:1,067-623
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
I think this match will go the same, sadly. Can only hope that Nog has something left in the tank/chin.

Post #2   12/2/11 10:20:27AM   

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Chips:

Posted by airkerma

I think this match will go the same, sadly. Can only hope that Nog has something left in the tank/chin.

Agreed on both accounts.

Post #3   12/2/11 10:44:15AM   

Budgellism

Randy

Budgellism Avatar

Career:2,900-1,652
Chips:
I have Mir taking it to a decision this time around.

Post #4   12/2/11 11:10:24AM   

KungFuMaster

Heavyweight Champ

KungFuMaster Avatar

Career:423-342
Camp: The Lone Ranger(s)
Chips:
I think it might end quickly for either fighter. I doubt Nog can take Mir down and Mir obviously does not want to go to the ground - at least with Nog he doesn't...

I think it might be a repeat of the first fight.

Post #5   12/2/11 2:54:06PM   

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Chips:

Posted by KungFuMaster

I think it might end quickly for either fighter. I doubt Nog can take Mir down and Mir obviously does not want to go to the ground - at least with Nog he doesn't...

I think Mir would be fine on the ground with Nog.

Post #6   12/2/11 3:12:29PM   

GSPCanada

Standup Guy

Career:637-415
Chips:
we will find out very soon, that's all there is to it

Post #7   12/2/11 5:27:41PM   

Kpro

I STAB WATERBEDS!

Kpro Avatar

Career:2,573-1,315
Chips:
We really won't find out if it had anything to do with the first performance.

Even if he knocked Mir out in one second in the rematch, it doesn't mean he wasn't at his best in the first fight.

Last edited 12/2/11 5:45PM server time by Kpro
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #8   12/2/11 5:45:01PM   

Chael_Sonnen

Follow.The.Buzzards

Chael_Sonnen Avatar

Career:1,277-785
Chips:
I can't wait to see Big Nog get destroyed.....AGAIN

Post #9   12/2/11 6:01:57PM   

KungFuMaster

Heavyweight Champ

KungFuMaster Avatar

Career:423-342
Camp: The Lone Ranger(s)
Chips:

Posted by emfleek

Posted by KungFuMaster

I agree. Mir is an excellent JJ artist and he will be just fine on the mat, however, he knows Nog has very limited stand up which is why he chose to stand with Nog and not follow him to the mat in their first fight.

This rematch is tricky though...Nog has demonstrated improved stand up in his last fight - but I still think Mir will land first.

Post #10   12/2/11 6:02:49PM   

tcunningham

Combat Sport and Fitness

tcunningham Avatar

Career:519-361
Chips:
i think big nogs gonna get bullied. hes not what he used to be and since their last fight mir has his new strength training. ill say the win goes to mir by UD

Post #11   12/2/11 6:33:07PM   

Bubbles

Come at me bro

Bubbles Avatar

Career:1,120-670
Chips:
i really hope this fight goes to the ground. if i had money, i would bribe both fighters $250,000 to make sure this fight is almost entirely a grappling clinic

Men be careful, female sexual predators are using a date rape drug called a Blowjob to trap men into scams called relationships.

Post #12   12/2/11 8:35:16PM   

Poor_Franklin

Slight Reach Advantage

Poor_Franklin Avatar

Career:1,585-904
Chips:

Posted by Bubbles

i really hope this fight goes to the ground. if i had money, i would bribe both fighters $250,000 to make sure this fight is almost entirely a grappling clinic

Post #13   12/2/11 8:40:13PM   

UFC_Fanatic

Belt Contender

UFC_Fanatic Avatar

Career:1,516-928
Camp: Playground Bullies
Chips:
I think the younger, faster, stronger, Mir will likely win this fight in a repeat of the first or in a ud. That said, while Nog is sadly a shell of his former legendary self, he's always had pretty solid boxing, so even in a striking match he isn't completely out of the fight. I mean, it's not like the questionable chin thing only goes one way. Mir has been on the receiving end of quite a few KO's too, so it isn't at all out of the question to see this fight end with Mir waking up staring at the lights this time around. I'm still going to be rooting for Big Nog, he's a legend in the sport who has earned his spot as a future Hall of Famer, and I simply want to see him redeem the loss in their first fight and get one more win under his belt before he eventually retires. I'd hate to see him go out like Chuck did, or like Wandy has been, with the exception of his fights with Bisping, Le, and Jardine.

Post #14   12/2/11 8:43:36PM   

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Career:1,566-910
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:

Posted by KungFuMaster

Posted by emfleek

Posted by KungFuMaster

I agree. Mir is an excellent JJ artist and he will be just fine on the mat, however, he knows Nog has very limited stand up which is why he chose to stand with Nog and not follow him to the mat in their first fight.

This rematch is tricky though...Nog has demonstrated improved stand up in his last fight - but I still think Mir will land first.

I'm not so sure. I think at this point in their careers, Mir is probably better overall on both the ground and the feet.

However both guys specialize in the guard. I'm sure Mir has a good top game but he rarely uses it (partially because of his crappy take downs.) If he took Nog down he'd be playing into his strength.

I think either guys guard could give the other guy trouble. Mir could submit Nog of his back and Nog could submit Mir off his back. Its an odd situation where whoever ends up on bottom would have the advantage.

I wouldn't expect a sub in this fight (its hard for black belts to submit other blackbelts in MMA) but I doubt we'll see either guy go for a take down considering the risk.

Post #15   12/3/11 1:07:02AM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2