Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Non-Title fights

Print  
Posted By Message

pv3Hpv3p

Heavyweight Champ

pv3Hpv3p Avatar

Career:827-576
Chips:
A lot of people seem to crack down on Pride because of too many champs fighting non-title fights. How do ya'all feel about this?

Do you think having non-titles fights cheapens the belt and the champion?

If a champion loses a non-title fight, but wins a sanctioned rematch, where does that put things?

Do you just like to see a good fight between equally skilled opponents? (the belt being just a plus)

Please discuss...

Post #1   1/26/07 4:11:56PM   

jmoooooo

MMA Regular

jmoooooo Avatar

Career:501-328
Chips:
if you are the champion, every fight should be a title defense. It leaves no room for any shady business. (Champion fights someone from the same camp/one of his friends and "lays down" to help his friends career, but never risks losing the belt)

The champions never take it easy, and the challengers are rewarded fairly for beating the best.

Post #2   1/26/07 4:28:36PM   

punisherind

MMA Regular

punisherind Avatar

Career:781-433
Camp: Snatch As Snatch Can
Chips:
im okay with non-title fights if its during a grand prix or tournament, or if the opponent is in a heavier weight class. aside from those two exceptions, i think every fight should be a title defense.

Post #3   1/26/07 5:52:37PM   

BloodandTears

Standup Guy

BloodandTears Avatar

Career:322-195
Camp: duXup
Chips:

Posted by punisherind

im okay with non-title fights if its during a grand prix or tournament, or if the opponent is in a heavier weight class. aside from those two exceptions, i think every fight should be a title defense.

Thats it dude.. I'm with you, if a non title fight happens in a grand prix its ok..

Post #4   1/26/07 6:40:29PM   

hippysmacker

Boondock Saints Mod

hippysmacker Avatar

Career:2,000-1,126
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:

Posted by punisherind

Totally agree, I think it odd that Big Nog only had one defense ever.(lost to Fedor)

“Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie ,cheat ,or steal.for selfish gain. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil. Never back away from an enemy. Either fight or surrender. It is not enough to say I will not be evil. Evil must be fought wherever it is found.”
The Iron Code

Post #5   1/27/07 12:52:35AM   

the-james

Standup Guy

the-james Avatar

Career:891-471
Chips:
I hate it, just make them defend their titles

Post #6   1/28/07 4:44:26PM   

Reignofterror

MMA Regular

Reignofterror Avatar

Career:61-30
Chips:
I don't understand the point of non title fights, and champions shouldn't be champions if their fighting and not defending their belts. Gomi and Silva both have the potential to hold their belts for as long as they have considering their skills so why does pride not give their champions all their fights title fights. Gomi is considered the number one lightweight in the world, and Wanderlei is a top 3, and they've proved that against the men they've beat. If Wand had his fights for the title I think he would've surpassed Liddell in terms of respect in the eyes of many fans.

Post #7   1/28/07 5:11:23PM   

ElGuApO91

MMA Regular

ElGuApO91 Avatar

Career:14-4
Camp: El Guapo
Chips:
i think that unless its an owgp non title fights are stpid because both fighters train hard and try to be as ready as thyey can be. and of course if the non title holder wins he still doesnt get the belt.

Post #8   1/28/07 6:04:06PM   

D-Boy

MMA Regular

D-Boy Avatar

Career:264-172
Chips:

Posted by ElGuApO91

i think that unless its an owgp non title fights are stpid because both fighters train hard and try to be as ready as thyey can be. and of course if the non title holder wins he still doesnt get the belt.

I agree but I also think they shouldn't lose their titles in any kind of GP not just OP ones as training and injuries from previous matches can get in the way and change a fighters abilities against his next opponent

Last edited 1/28/07 6:14PM server time by D-Boy
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #9   1/28/07 6:14:30PM   

Svartorm

Hammer of the Gods

Svartorm Avatar

Career:2,077-1,253
Chips:
With the exception of fights outside their weightclass, I think its ok. Like Huges Vs. Riggs was cool with me, even though Riggs wasn't the correct weight to win the title.

DREAM 1 - 2nd in Pts
Cage Rage 23 - 6th in Pts
Secondary League Season 3 - 12th in Pts
Secondary League Season 7 - 16th in Wagers
Primary League Season 7 - 26th in Wagers
Secondary League Season 6 - 30th in Pts
Secondary League Season 1 - 31st in Pts
Primary League Season 6 - 39th in Wagers
Secondary League Season 7 - 41st in Pts

Post #10   1/28/07 6:32:58PM   

crimethinc

MMA Regular

crimethinc Avatar

Career:81-61
Camp: Camp Baby Dumpster
Chips:
I think within the weight clas it should always be a title defense. If I beat the current champ and wasn't considered the new champ I would be pretty dissappointed. Not making weight and losing your title shot makes perfect sense though. You can't be welterweight champ if you aren't a welterweight when you fight (weigh-in) even if it's just a pound or two.

Post #11   1/28/07 6:47:11PM