Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

UFC 142: Jose Aldo hopes to train with Gray Maynard ahead of title fight against Chad Mendes

Print  
Posted By Message

Budgellism

Randy

Budgellism Avatar

Career:2,900-1,652
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
"We have a big interest in bringing Maynard to train with me. He has such strong wrestling and we want people that (have) the same game Chad Mendes does. Mendes is a competitive and hard guy to fight. Me and Maynard have been in touch since UFC 136, and he also said it's his will to train with us at Nova Uniao, but nothing is confirmed thus far, especially because of the Thanksgiving holiday. I'm waiting for the answer."

- Jose Aldo

LINK

Post #1   11/25/11 11:05:43PM   

Pookie

Remember Paul Herrera

Pookie Avatar

Career:1,910-1,061
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
beautiful

Post #2   11/26/11 12:24:40AM   

tcunningham

Combat Sport and Fitness

tcunningham Avatar

Career:519-361
Chips:
maynard and mendes both have good wrestling but i think they are very different wrestlers. mendes is very fast and accurate with hid TD and maynard seems to be more or a driving power until his opponent goes down. its definitely a good thing aldo is training with gray, but i dont think its gonna stop mendes from taking his belt.

And the new featherweight champion...chad mendes!!

Post #3   11/26/11 1:30:35AM   

Chael_Sonnen

Follow.The.Buzzards

Chael_Sonnen Avatar

Career:1,277-785
Chips:
Money Mendes = New FW Champ

Post #4   11/26/11 3:02:41AM   

sparky

AV BET Record: 41-10

sparky Avatar

Career:2,843-1,563
Camp: Team Fry Guy
Chips:

Posted by Chael_Sonnen

Money Mendes = New FW Champ

It wouldn't surprise me in the least

Post #5   11/26/11 9:14:16AM   

kingsmasher

BANNED

Career:258-155
Chips:
Mendes by GNP....aldo BJJ overrated...His takedown defense not sure...He stopped Florian but thats Florian...His TD are weak....

I called MacDonald over Alvarez and def picking Mendes over Aldo...

Post #6   11/27/11 7:55:13AM   

ncordless

MODulation

ncordless Avatar

Career:1,916-1,093
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
I think it's funny how people question Aldo's TDD. He has shown excellent TDD in every fight he has had. According to that champ by the numbers article, he has defended 95% of all takedown attempts, second only to Jon Jones. All the other young guys on his team have excellent TDD (see Vila/Dantas last night). Wrestling is like BJJ in that it is a lot easier to learn how to defend against it that it is to use it offensively. With modern cage techniques, it is even easier to defend the takedown or get back up.

With Aldo, the question is always the same: Is he healthy? He has not looked the same since his back/neck/shoulder problems. His injury was similar to Peyton Manning's, and he has not looked like he used to since the surgery and rehab. He has compounded the problem by adding size that he is having a hard time cutting come fight time. If he is not in great shape, he could have real problems with Mendes if it gets into the later rounds. If he has gotten his health back, he should put Mendes to bed in relatively quick order, as Mendes' striking poses absolutely no threat.

Post #7   11/27/11 5:04:41PM   

40ouncetpkid

Belt Contender

40ouncetpkid Avatar

Career:289-174
Camp: Octagon Winners
Chips:

Posted by kingsmasher

Mendes by GNP....aldo BJJ overrated...His takedown defense not sure...He stopped Florian but thats Florian...His TD are weak....

I called MacDonald over Alvarez and def picking Mendes over Aldo...

Seriously get your research done. That is one of the most ridiculous statements i ever heard. How could you ever come to a conclusion that aldos grappling is overrated? Because the florian fight was a clinch fight and everytime he hit the ground with homminick he was on top pounding homminicks face except the dnd when he was tired riightfully so after that five round classic. And when mike brown got him down aldo took his back and stopped him. Not to mention world class bjj guys talk about how unbelievable it is when aldo takes it to them in bjj.

Terrific move for aldo. It can definitely only help. Aldo has been disappointing in the ufc but he had a bad weight cut vs homminck which became a classic and florian did the only thing he could do by using his size to try and overpower aldo in the clinch. Mendes hasnt tore through the level of fighters aldo has. If all mendes brings is his wrestling to try and win a decisión, aldo is gonna smash him. Faber is just as fast as mendes. Just as explosive if not more explosive wrestler and aldo kept his speed in check. Aldo will knock him out or outclass him in grappling.

Post #8   11/28/11 10:37:43PM   

calitrees

MMA Regular

calitrees Avatar

Career:1,430-842
Chips:
Leg Kicks

Post #9   11/30/11 10:42:56AM   

jjeans

Emma Watson Picture Incoming

jjeans Avatar

Career:1,173-700
Chips:
I think Jose Aldo is more well rounded than Anderson Silva and I believe that a lot of people's opinions of Joses weaknesses are only based on Silvas TDD defence. No doubt Chad has better wrestling and in fact I do have Mendes to win UD but I don't mean to discredit Aldo in picking against him.

Thiago Silva nuthugger.

Admin of MMA Memes of Facebook. A Roundtable Analyst on The MMA Podcast. Journalist for MMA Mental.

Dirty Blue #DoItForWatson

Post #10   11/30/11 11:22:17AM