Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Jones vs Machida

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

the_01

MMA Regular

the_01 Avatar

Career:487-358
Chips:
Strange how this fight has'nt been discussed much, or maybe I havnt been following up lately. Since Machida's style has been exposed, he is no more of a threat to any fighter. He has been beaten by 2 fighter that Jones had no problem with. His recent win was a lucky shot that will never happen again. I dont know the meaning of this fight, it makes no sence. One thoery dictates that UFC wants Machida out of the organization, and this is the best way. Another says that UFC wants to reduce Machida's basic pay in his next contract, and this is one way. I dont know. All I know is that Im a Machida fan, and I hope this wasnt given to him as bait.
Thank you for taking the time to read.
I'd like to hear your openion on this.

Post #1   11/25/11 5:58:24PM   

Franklinfan47

Simply The Best

Franklinfan47 Avatar

Career:2,682-1,471
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
Well, basically Rashad got injured so Machida was the only one left to fight Bones at the time. I dont think it was to punish Machida in any way, he was just coming off that big couture win so it made sense.

As for the fight, I agree Bones is a huge favorite, but stranger things have happened...

Post #2   11/25/11 6:15:31PM   

Budgellism

Randy

Budgellism Avatar

Career:3,026-1,730
Chips:
He was given the fight because he's the next best challenger to Jones' belt. Evans wouldn't be ready for 140 and that card needed a headliner. There's nothing more to it than that. They don't want to get him out of the organization, that would be ridiculous.

Post #3   11/25/11 6:16:13PM   

BeeR

MMA Sensei

BeeR Avatar

Career:681-411
Chips:
lucky shot?

Post #4   11/25/11 6:18:56PM   

mrsmiley

Heavyweight Champ

mrsmiley Avatar

Career:1,566-924
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:

Posted by the_01

Strange how this fight has'nt been discussed much, or maybe I havnt been following up lately. Since Machida's style has been exposed, he is no more of a threat to any fighter. He has been beaten by 2 fighter that Jones had no problem with. His recent win was a lucky shot that will never happen again. I dont know the meaning of this fight, it makes no sence. One thoery dictates that UFC wants Machida out of the organization, and this is the best way. Another says that UFC wants to reduce Machida's basic pay in his next contract, and this is one way. I dont know. All I know is that Im a Machida fan, and I hope this wasnt given to him as bait.
Thank you for taking the time to read.
I'd like to hear your openion on this.

I can see your point but you never know with MMA.
I really didn't think Shogun was going to have a chance against Machida considering he was coming off a close win over Coleman and an aging Liddell but I was sorely proven wrong in that instance and I wouldn't be suprised if it happened again.

Post #5   11/25/11 6:24:22PM   

DoTheMMAth

MMA Sensei

DoTheMMAth Avatar

Career:1,510-938
Chips:
This one is a total coin toss to me.

- We've really never seen anyone test Bones' chin.

- This is the first time we've ever had Machida coming off of a loss and there is no way of knowing if he's gonna come off the loss like he's Brandon Vera or if his first loss is going to light a fire under his piss-drinking ass.

- Both guys are the most unique and/or unorthodox guys in their division and both are top LHWs. Good luck predicting style matchup ahead of time.

Post #6   11/25/11 6:53:02PM   

king_katool

MMA Sensei

king_katool Avatar

Career:325-231
Chips:

Posted by DoTheMMAth

- This is the first time we've ever had Machida coming off of a loss and there is no way of knowing if he's gonna come off the loss like he's Brandon Vera or if his first loss is going to light a fire under his piss-drinking ass.

- Both guys are the most unique and/or unorthodox guys in their division and both are top LHWs. Good luck predicting style matchup ahead of time.

Machida won his last fight via matrix kick to the face

Post #7   11/25/11 7:41:27PM   

ajp10k

MMA Regular

ajp10k Avatar

Career:154-118
Camp: Midwest Training Center
Chips:

... Did you not see the Randy Couture fight?

Anyways, Its a interesting match up because they both like fighting from the outside. Only difference is Lyoto likes being the counter when Jon is more offensive from a distance. I would also not forget about Lyotos takedowns. He has pretty good takedown but I don't see him taking down Jones. But could he stop Bones if he went for a takedown is questionable.

I hate to say it but Bones does have the advantage but i'm still rooting for Lyoto.

Post #8   11/25/11 7:48:51PM   

Poor_Franklin

Slight Reach Advantage

Poor_Franklin Avatar

Career:1,692-972
Chips:
oh he just forgot guys. he's been too busy improving the site. cut him some slack

Post #9   11/25/11 7:53:14PM   

Pookie

Remember Paul Herrera

Pookie Avatar

Career:1,951-1,087
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
Machida's strategy should be, make Jones move forward, in order to diminish his reach advantage.

Tactically he can do this with light leg kicks, as evidenced from the rashad fight, he can attack with them from a range outside of anybody's arm length.

Fighters with long reaches traditionally have a tough time being the aggressor, and with the size of jon jones legs, i can gurantee he can't burst forward with strikes as well as he can back pedal away from them.

Jones takedowns are almost always from the clinch, and Machida's TDD revolves around movement and using his sumo to break the clinch if someone can get ahold of him. I think defending clinch takedowns is the strongest part of Machida's entire game.

In theory, i think Machida's trainers should know exactly what they have to do to win this fight. But Jones is a talent, and is the favorite for a reason.

I don't think we see someone test Jones as much as Machida will for years to come.

I'm picking Machida for the +2

Post #10   11/25/11 8:27:25PM   

DoTheMMAth

MMA Sensei

DoTheMMAth Avatar

Career:1,510-938
Chips:

Posted by king_katool

Posted by DoTheMMAth

Machida won his last fight via matrix kick to the face

Damn, you're right. I totally forgot about the "Handy" fight. Then again, my avatar (until recently) was one that dis-credited Randy. I never considered him to be much more than an opportunist. His loss to Machida was straight MMA math as far as I'm concerned. But I also excludeded the Rampage "loss"! Fail!

Either way Ima retard for forgetting that!

Last edited 11/25/11 8:34PM server time by dothemmath
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #11   11/25/11 8:33:00PM   

BuffaloDave

Heavyweight Champ

BuffaloDave Avatar

Career:938-531
Chips:

Posted by Pookie

That would be 5 points

Post #12   11/25/11 10:07:50PM   

Pookie

Remember Paul Herrera

Pookie Avatar

Career:1,951-1,087
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by BuffaloDave

Posted by Pookie

That would be 5 points

At the very least 7.

Post #13   11/26/11 12:27:07AM   

karn501

In Full Mount

karn501 Avatar

Career:134-103
Chips:
imo machida has the best shot at taking that belt from jones we've seen more then once what happens when machida fights aggressive fighters the shogun thing was just a bad style matchup imo the loss to page was just like his win over shogun that being said jones will probably win but i'm picking machida beware the counter fighter

Post #14   11/26/11 1:05:04AM   

tcunningham

Combat Sport and Fitness

tcunningham Avatar

Career:540-380
Chips:
i think machida will get owned, but bottom line is in MMA, especially at the top level, you never really know what to expect. how many times have we seen somebody beat the fighter that beat the other fighter they lost to (i hope that makes sense). styles make fights. machida has KO power, probably more than bones does even. this fight could be very interesting

Post #15   11/26/11 1:20:37AM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2