Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Dexter - Season 6 potential spoilers

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

FlashyG

Heavyweight Champ

FlashyG Avatar

Career:2,184-1,225
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
Anyone else find this season and last to be considerably weaker since the guys from 24 took it over?

This season was so predictable that I think I (and MANY MANY others) figured out the finale's twist before the first episode had even technically aired.

To me its obvious that Professor Gellar is dead, likely at the hands of Travis and is now his "Dark Passenger" so to speak.

Why else make Travis do EVERYTHING that involves physically handling anything.

Plus he only appears when Travis is away from all other characters, he hasn't actually been seen in 3 years. And the TA who last saw him says he wasn't even that religious.

The Witness from a few weeks ago said she thought there were 2 people holding her because one kept referring to another he called the professor. She never actually saw either one due to her blindfold and never mentioned having any contact with the professor just his name.

Even in the last episode when Dexter finds Travis in chains, Gellar is only seen by Travis and Dexter assumes he was on the balcony by following his gaze. When he gets up there the floor can barely hold his weight and given Gellar's girth compared to his the floor would have crumbled even worse had he ran across it.

I'm not sure if they're ripping off Fight Club or the Sixth Sense. Either way it is no comparison to the greatness of season 1 or season 4.

Post #1   11/24/11 10:18:38PM   

Chael_Sonnen

Follow.The.Buzzards

Chael_Sonnen Avatar

Career:1,277-785
Chips:
"considerably weaker since the guys from 24 took it over?"

- - Everything that Dexter fans feel is right there in those particular words....well said.

Post #2   11/24/11 11:55:51PM   

mrkennedy

MMA Sensei

mrkennedy Avatar

Career:2,616-1,482
Camp: TKO
Chips:
season 2 was amazing it was the best for me

Post #3   11/24/11 11:56:02PM   

FlashyG

Heavyweight Champ

FlashyG Avatar

Chips:

Posted by mrkennedy

season 2 was amazing it was the best for me

It ranks 3rd for me, and would be second if John Lithgow hadn't blown my mind with his creepyness in season 4.

Post #4   11/25/11 12:03:39AM   

bojangalz

The Original Playground Bully

bojangalz Avatar

Career:1,553-840
Chips:
Some day I"m going to get into this series. I started the pilot episode one day while I was cleaning the house (just to have a little backround noise) and never gave it the attention it deserved. Not long after that I got into the Walking Dead and Breaking Bad. With my limited viewing chances I never got back to Dexter. Some day, some day.

Post #5   11/25/11 12:12:38AM   

FlashyG

Heavyweight Champ

FlashyG Avatar

Chips:
If there is any show you watch after breaking bad, I can't recommend the Wire enough.

Especially considering your profession, I don't think there's been a better portrayal of law enforcement than that show.

Its a masterpiece. You can watch the whole series online here

Last time I checked it was the highest rated movie or TV show on IMDB with a rating of 9.8 out of 10.

Post #6   11/25/11 12:23:55AM   

Twenty20Dollars

Heavyweight Champ

Career:1,572-1,001
Chips:
I thought the Dexter pilot was amazing.

I didn't like season 1 so much after the pilot. But I think from then on it got better.

This season is alright, but I'm still into it.

That is interesting that the professor could be the dark passenger of travis. Similar to dexter having harry. That means Travis killed his sister.

But we'll see!

Post #7   11/25/11 12:35:43AM   

Aether

Heavyweight Champ

Aether Avatar

Career:946-505
Chips:
I don't think the problem is new writers, I think the problem is that they've completely exhausted the source material that they were copying from.

They ran out of good stories to duplicate/tweak, so now they have to make their own from scratch, and they're awful, improbable, and completely lose the essence of the main character. Classic example of a good story being adapted to tv/film and then being milked dry long after the source material has been fully exploited.

Post #8   11/25/11 1:05:53AM   

bojangalz

The Original Playground Bully

bojangalz Avatar

Career:1,553-840
Chips:

Posted by FlashyG

If there is any show you watch after breaking bad, I can't recommend the Wire enough.

Especially considering your profession, I don't think there's been a better portrayal of law enforcement than that show.

Its a masterpiece. You can watch the whole series online here

Last time I checked it was the highest rated movie or TV show on IMDB with a rating of 9.8 out of 10.

Yeah, I remember you mentioning this show to me quite a while back. I actually started watching it about 6-8 months ago. I got through the first two seasons and thought it was amazing. Then I discovered Breaking Bad and it consumed my entire being until I finally finished the most recent season a few weeks ago. Since then I've been trying to catch up on The Walking Dead (actually just watched the most recent episode tonight). I'll be diving head first into season 3 of The Wire next. It should fill the gap between the end of Dead and the beginning of the final season of Bad. One show at a time is all the more I can squeeze into my schedule. And even then it takes forever for me to get through a season.

But you were right Flashy... The Wire is fantastic. There's nothing spoon-fed about it. They leave you to be responsible for understanding the nuance and keeping track of all the players as the plot unfolds. It's brilliant, and the only Law Enforcement related show I've ever been able to latch onto (except for maybe CHiPs as a 5 year old )

Thanks for the link btw. Love must be spread, but it's good to have a stream for when I forget the tablet at home.

Post #9   11/25/11 2:21:02AM   

Shawn91111

The MMAPlayground's Co-Creator

Shawn91111 Avatar

Career:2,622-1,372
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
I like this season a ton better than last. Julia Stiles was one of the worst castings ever and brought down the entire season.

There are a few quick plot holes this season such as Brian coming and going, Trinity case popping up and going etc.

Post #10   11/25/11 6:48:11AM   

Twenty20Dollars

Heavyweight Champ

Chips:

Posted by FlashyG

Anyone else find this season and last to be considerably weaker since the guys from 24 took it over?

This season was so predictable that I think I (and MANY MANY others) figured out the finale's twist before the first episode had even technically aired.

To me its obvious that Professor Gellar is dead, likely at the hands of Travis and is now his "Dark Passenger" so to speak.

Why else make Travis do EVERYTHING that involves physically handling anything.

Plus he only appears when Travis is away from all other characters, he hasn't actually been seen in 3 years. And the TA who last saw him says he wasn't even that religious.

The Witness from a few weeks ago said she thought there were 2 people holding her because one kept referring to another he called the professor. She never actually saw either one due to her blindfold and never mentioned having any contact with the professor just his name.

Even in the last episode when Dexter finds Travis in chains, Gellar is only seen by Travis and Dexter assumes he was on the balcony by following his gaze. When he gets up there the floor can barely hold his weight and given Gellar's girth compared to his the floor would have crumbled even worse had he ran across it.

I'm not sure if they're ripping off Fight Club or the Sixth Sense. Either way it is no comparison to the greatness of season 1 or season 4.

You called it!

Post #11   11/29/11 1:36:40AM   

Shawn91111

The MMAPlayground's Co-Creator

Shawn91111 Avatar

Career:2,622-1,372
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
Everyone called it at the beginning of the season. One of the worst plot/secrets so far. They have 3 episodes left and now they have the nerdy intern with the ice truck killer hand and unless thats for next season it is going to suck that they again are trying to cram all this shit into 1 or 2 episodes.

Dexter can find basically any killer in a few min, even the tooth fairy killer after years and years, but somehow never sees Gellar. Come on.

Post #12   11/29/11 2:11:53AM   

Twenty20Dollars

Heavyweight Champ

Chips:
I didn't call it, but maybe because I was hoping Dexter would have to face off with two serial killers like at the same time. He dealt with the 4 last time, but those were more one by one.

Post #13   11/29/11 4:08:40PM   

prophecy033

REBEL WITH A CAUSE

prophecy033 Avatar

Career:1,971-1,169
Chips:
Just bought season 5 on Black Friday, on episode 9 now. The season started out good but Julia Stiles is slowing things down a little. I like it tho. Can't wait to catch up with season 6 on demand as soon as I get cable Friday in my new house

Post #14   11/29/11 5:52:39PM   

Bubbles

Come at me bro

Bubbles Avatar

Career:1,120-670
Chips:
im not too crazy about season 6....imo it rivals season 3 as the worst one yet. i hate to say it but i think season 4 "jumped the shark." they are trying to portray Dexter in a new light via new life circumstances and its getting a little off. with season 5 Julia Stiles had a HUGE role to fill. like honestly, Rita was a big part of our emotional attachment to Dexter and the series. Lumen was no Rita, and i think we all compared them to each other which isnt quite fair as their roles and impact were completely different. imo she did a good job considering the WTF?!?!?! moment at the end of season 4.

season 6 has a good idea but i dont think its properly done. not saying i can do better but it is leaving me expecting more from it. religious murders has all the potential in the world, i just think they went about it the wrong way.

i still love this show and will follow it til the end. i just hope season 7 is better. btw when did the 24 guys take this series over? i dont really follow the behind the scenes stuff

Last edited 11/29/11 9:08PM server time by bubbles
Edit note/reason: n/a

Men be careful, female sexual predators are using a date rape drug called a Blowjob to trap men into scams called relationships.

Post #15   11/29/11 9:07:08PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2