Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Illness, sprained thumb, Rua no match for UFC 139 winner Henderson

Print  
Posted By Message

sparky

AV BET Record: 39-9

sparky Avatar

Career:2,690-1,482
Camp: Team Fry Guy
Chips:
Dan Henderson (29-8 MMA, 5-2 UFC) had prepared himself for a five-round fight against Mauricio "Shogun" Rua (20-6 MMA, 4-4 UFC). But a bug he'd caught the week prior to UFC 139 sapped his strength and left him so dehydrated that he needed IV fluids following a bout that's been called one of the best in UFC history.

Link

Post #1   11/21/11 10:43:27AM   

scoozna

Liver shot!

scoozna Avatar

Career:2,217-1,243
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
Wow...I respect him even more now.

Post #2   11/21/11 10:49:18AM   

prophecy033

REBEL WITH A CAUSE

prophecy033 Avatar

Career:1,960-1,164
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
Even with all this going against Hendo, he pulled out the W. He had his chance to finish Rua off in the 3rd but Rua somehow survived and not only that, he turned the fight around in his favor from that point forward. Great heart from Rua to not give up

Post #3   11/21/11 12:38:00PM   

ghandikush

MMA Sensei

ghandikush Avatar

Career:118-71
Chips:
I thought it was assumed he cought staph and cancer before every fight, and also he always tears an MCL.

Post #4   11/21/11 1:21:15PM   

gartface

Heavyweight Champ

gartface Avatar

Career:1,406-898
Camp: Hand Grenade Hillbillies
Chips:

Posted by ghandikush

I thought it was assumed he cought staph and cancer before every fight, and also he always tears an MCL.

Hendo is a beast, through and through. I can't say enough about Shogun either.

Post #5   11/21/11 1:55:53PM   

ghandikush

MMA Sensei

ghandikush Avatar

Career:118-71
Chips:

Posted by gartface

Posted by ghandikush

No trolling, just seems like either Shogun is really dumb and not learning that injuries are bad mkay, or he needs some excuse everytime and people believe it, even though almost every fighter has ailments after 6-8 week full time camps.

Havent heard bitching about injuries like this since Tito and Silvia.

Post #6   11/21/11 2:32:54PM   

ncordless

MODulation

ncordless Avatar

Career:1,848-1,057
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by ghandikush

Posted by gartface

Posted by ghandikush

No trolling, just seems like either Shogun is really dumb and not learning that injuries are bad mkay, or he needs some excuse everytime and people believe it, even though almost every fighter has ailments after 6-8 week full time camps.

Havent heard bitching about injuries like this since Tito and Silvia.

If you are gonna be snarky, at least make sure you have some idea what you are talking about. This article refers to Hendo's illness and injuries, not Shogun's, so either you are way off the mark in your criticism of Shogun or you meant to say Hendo when you said Shogun.

Post #7   11/21/11 3:48:15PM   

jjeans

Emma Watson Picture Incoming

jjeans Avatar

Career:1,126-675
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:

Posted by ncordless

If you are gonna be snarky, at least make sure you have some idea what you are talking about. This article refers to Hendo's illness and injuries, not Shogun's, so either you are way off the mark in your criticism of Shogun or you meant to say Hendo when you said Shogun.

It helps. Apologising will help too.

Last edited 11/21/11 3:50PM server time by jjeans
Edit note/reason: n/a

Thiago Silva nuthugger.

Admin of MMA Memes of Facebook. A Roundtable Analyst on The MMA Podcast. Journalist for MMA Mental.

Dirty Blue #DoItForWatson

Post #8   11/21/11 3:49:51PM   

KungFuMaster

Heavyweight Champ

KungFuMaster Avatar

Career:423-341
Camp: The Lone Ranger(s)
Chips:
After reading this, I have even more respect for Henderson.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news or one to start bad discussions but I feel this must be said in light of this development. One can say two things about this fight.

1. Henderson went into the fight as a sick man. He was operating on empty while going into the 4th round. It was only his will to persevere which allowed him to survive rounds 4 and 5 which ultimately earned him the victory.

2. Shogun survived the onslaught of a weakened man. Shogun could not finish a man who was operating on empty.

I'm sorry guys. I know many of you are praising this fight and both participants of the fight but IMO, Shogun failed miserably. He was losing to a man who was already weakened by sickness. Furthermore, he could not finish a man who was completely gassed.

I know I will be attacked from all angles but I'm ready. I have been working on my parrying techniques.

Post #9   11/21/11 5:09:30PM   

Shawn91111

Shawn91111 Avatar

Career:2,606-1,363
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:

Posted by KungFuMaster

After reading this, I have even more respect for Henderson.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news or one to start bad discussions but I feel this must be said in light of this development. One can say two things about this fight.

1. Henderson went into the fight as a sick man. He was operating on empty while going into the 4th round. It was only his will to persevere which allowed him to survive rounds 4 and 5 which ultimately earned him the victory.

2. Shogun survived the onslaught of a weakened man. Shogun could not finish a man who was operating on empty.

I'm sorry guys. I know many of you are praising this fight and both participants of the fight but IMO, Shogun failed miserably. He was losing to a man who was already weakened by sickness. Furthermore, he could not finish a man who was completely gassed.

I know I will be attacked from all angles but I'm ready. I have been working on my parrying techniques.

How do you know Shogun had a clean bill of health coming into this fight? Its not like Shogun was a bubble of energy in the last 2 rounds

Post #10   11/21/11 7:39:08PM