Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Hendo and Shogun; Too much for TV? you decide!

Print  
Who won the fight on your scorecards
Hendo 38 48%
Shogun 6 8%
Draw 36 45%
  Page 1 of 3     1     2     3  
Posted By Message

icantthinkofanything

MMA Sensei

icantthinkofanything Avatar

Career:911-636
Camp: 360 Mafia
Chips:
SAN JOSE, Calif. – It's already earned praise as one of the greatest fights in UFC history – if not MMA history.

But Dan Henderson's epic victory over Mauricio "Shogun" Rua in Saturday's UFC 139 main event could have been disastrous had it aired on FOX instead of pay-per-view, UFC president Dana White told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com).

And if you don't agree, well, you know the drill: You can shut your pie hole.

link

Post #1   11/20/11 1:40:04PM   

airkerma

KE Released in MAtter

airkerma Avatar

Career:1,040-604
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
Apparently I will now shut my pie hole (but that would have helped more than a first round ko by JDS to get new fans imho...). I thought shogun won, but it was an awesome fight. This, to draw an analogy, is like the way the super bowl is supposed to be. People love it when it's close and when the decision is rendered everyone thinks, had one thing been done differently the opponent could have won. This makes new fans, not blow outs of things they've seen before. This would have ruled the FOX debut, had it been the fight. DAMN! How did my pie hole start running again?!
Also I love that the vote is split 50-50, I have no idea who picked against me...

Last edited 11/20/11 1:49PM server time by airkerma
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #2   11/20/11 1:47:39PM   

kopower

Heavyweight Champ

kopower Avatar

Career:2,263-1,218
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
I can see the argument Dana has. The Hendo/Rua fight was brutal. It may have been too much for the "average" or "newcomer" to the sport. Still, I think a hell of a lot of people would have tuned in. The Griffin/Bonnar fight had ratings climbing as the fight progressed and word of mouth spread. I would have to think, the same, if not a larger increase in ratings would have happened if the Hendo/Rua fight was on FOX.

What you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in the playground is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no props, and may the mods have mercy on your soul.

Post #3   11/20/11 1:59:19PM   

DeadHead988

MMA Sensei

DeadHead988 Avatar

Career:367-289
Camp: Midwest Training Center
Chips:
Dana's so full of shit. If this had been the Fox fight he would be saying that it went perfectly and accoridng to plan. If you read the whole article, it becomes clear that he's just making excuses. Ever since the Fox fights my opinion of Dana has dropped unbelievably low.

Post #4   11/20/11 2:01:21PM   

bojangalz

The Original Playground Bully

bojangalz Avatar

Career:1,553-840
Chips:
Yeah, he's simply posturing. What's he supposed to say- "You bet, we here at Zuffa f'd up big." Of course not. That's not how the game is played. He went off on that reporter last weekend for asking about the Bendo/Guida fight because he couldn't displace he anger towards the FOX producers (where the blame really lies). Biting the hand that feeds like that is never a good decision.

This is simply a biproduct of the fact that they couldn't get their way last week. Had Zuffa been able to air Bendo/Guida )like we all know they truely wanted to) there wouldn't have been nearly so much attention paid to the fact that the headliner only went 70 seconds. As a result; the thought that Hendo/Shogun would have been a better fit on FOX probably wouldn't even exist.

Dana can't backtrack... All they can do is move forward. And to do so they need people to feel like everything went according to plan. He's a promoter. He's not paid to say what he thinks, he's paid to say what makes the most sense for the promotion. We all know he doesn't believe his own words on this. But he's going to bark and howl that everything thing is going perfectly to plan because that's what makes the most business sense. End of story.

Post #5   11/20/11 2:56:27PM   

ncordless

MODulation

ncordless Avatar

Career:1,888-1,075
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
Dana doesn't polish turds very well. He should just admit that Shogun/Hendo would have been the perfect fight for UFC on FOX. It would have been a Griffin/Bonnar moment time x10 where word spreads during the fight and before you know it you got a peak of 15-20 million. It sucks it didn't happen that way, but there is nothing wrong with admitting that in hindsight it would have been awesome.

Dana needs to stop doing pressers and commentating on the fights, and stick to what works for him, situations where he has control of how he is portrayed and thus in control of himself.

Post #6   11/20/11 2:56:58PM   

Wolfenstein

Heavyweight Champ

Wolfenstein Avatar

Career:1,304-730
Chips:
They're trying to appeal to the 18-35 year old age group, who I would imagine are looking for brutality, not a good technical strategic scrap. Casual fans want a slugfest. I don't believe for one second that Dana actually believes that wouldn't have been a better introduction to MMA on Fox. He's just playing the game and pretending everything went according to plan...his reaction to that bout pretty much said it all.

Post #7   11/20/11 2:57:21PM   

warglory

Heavyweight Champ

warglory Avatar

Career:535-344
Chips:
Maybe it has nothing to do with the fans, but more to do with the FOX brass? As Dana says, we don't know what goes on behind the scenes, so I don't think it's fair for us to say anything. Though I do think he needs to bite the bullet on this one and say he was wrong about the way he talked about his fighters the night of the fight.

Post #8   11/20/11 4:41:18PM   

icantthinkofanything

MMA Sensei

icantthinkofanything Avatar

Career:911-636
Camp: 360 Mafia
Chips:
Shogun won rd 4
and 5-(10-8) making it a draw.
You can't say Hendo should get a 10-8 because Shogun pressed the action landed went for takedowns, and even though Hendo almost finished in the third, you could argue that rd 2 and 3(because Rua turned it on 2half and finished strong) went to Rua also, or were 10-10 rounds, ((which don't exist right?))

If Rua beats Rampage, he should be in the mix 4 sure, if not for having showed so much heart under fire and winning the non judging part of the fight, because he was gonna pound Hendo untill he quit, he should have let Hendo stand up and ko'd him there, but if there was more rounds, Rua would have won, and the tide clearly turned in that fight, throw in Rua's heavy shots in the opening rounds , and all around I think Rua won the fist fight, but not the judges.

Both are awesome, and Rua didnt look like he was following his game plan, just winging right hands, where were the kicks? the knees? his knee must still be hurting, because he should have had a gameplan to work his kicks early, and move away to counter, instead he was going foward with 1 weapon the overhand, and not as effective. his cardio was great, but of course Rua was slower again from getting stunned with h bombs. Hendo's cardio didnt hold up as well, he was countered during his big moments, and the pace was crazy. Hendos striking looked very technical and crisp, he wasnt just throwing 1 punch he had the cross and uppercut also.

great fight, would love a rematch, I think Hendo has a chance against Jones, but I thinkLyoto has a better style to beat Jones than Hendo because of his kicks

Last edited 11/20/11 4:55PM server time by icantthinkofanything
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #9   11/20/11 4:49:11PM   

prophecy033

REBEL WITH A CAUSE

prophecy033 Avatar

Career:2,016-1,193
Chips:
I understand what Dana is getting at but at the same time, Griffin vs Bonnar 1 was a war just like this fight and it drew in millions of new viewers. IMO, if this had been on FOX, it would have gotten Network tv's highest rating for a MMA event and gained more viewers then it lost. This fight was simply amazing.

Post #10   11/20/11 5:10:41PM   

mrsmiley

Heavyweight Champ

mrsmiley Avatar

Career:1,486-872
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:
LOL at Dana. Hendo and Shogun would have been amazing on Fox.

Post #11   11/20/11 5:14:33PM   

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Career:1,533-897
Chips:

Posted by icantthinkofanything

Shogun won rd 4
and 5-(10-8) making it a draw.
You can't say Hendo should get a 10-8 because Shogun pressed the action landed went for takedowns, and even though Hendo almost finished in the third, you could argue that rd 2 and 3(because Rua turned it on 2half and finished strong) went to Rua also, or were 10-10 rounds, ((which don't exist right?))

If Rua beats Rampage, he should be in the mix 4 sure, if not for having showed so much heart under fire and winning the non judging part of the fight, because he was gonna pound Hendo untill he quit, he should have let Hendo stand up and ko'd him there, but if there was more rounds, Rua would have won, and the tide clearly turned in that fight, throw in Rua's heavy shots in the opening rounds , and all around I think Rua won the fist fight, but not the judges.

Both are awesome, and Rua didnt look like he was following his game plan, just winging right hands, where were the kicks? the knees? his knee must still be hurting, because he should have had a gameplan to work his kicks early, and move away to counter, instead he was going foward with 1 weapon the overhand, and not as effective. his cardio was great, but of course Rua was slower again from getting stunned with h bombs. Hendo's cardio didnt hold up as well, he was countered during his big moments, and the pace was crazy. Hendos striking looked very technical and crisp, he wasnt just throwing 1 punch he had the cross and uppercut also.

great fight, would love a rematch, I think Hendo has a chance against Jones, but I thinkLyoto has a better style to beat Jones than Hendo because of his kicks

10-10 rounds do exist actually. I think the second could have been scored 10-10. Shogun definitely won round 5 10-8 and that was the only 10-8 round of the fight.

Shougn should have gotten the decision.

Also, Dana is full of crap here.

Post #12   11/20/11 5:24:11PM   

jae_1833

TTTHS

jae_1833 Avatar

Career:2,600-1,654
Chips:
I hate draws, and I do believe that the judges scored it correctly. I stand by the fact that 10-8 rounds exist but do note think Shogun pulled it offer in the fifth. The top control was there but the gnp was note nearly effective enough for me. I personally think that the comeback by Shogun, the brutality displayed by Hendo in the third round would have done wonders on Fox. Dana is just convinced that a quick finish is what's the casuals want, I think he is confused....the casuals would have loved Bendo vs Guidance and Hendo vs Shogun both as much as I did....I just have the ability to follow the action a bit better is all.

Post #13   11/20/11 6:00:32PM   

BigIP

Standup Guy

BigIP Avatar

Career:43-35
Chips:
Dana is showing how arrogant of person he is. He can't admit he made a mistake. The Rua Hendo fight would have been awesome on Fox and so would have the Silva Cung Lee fight with all those slick kicks.

If Dana really believes the Rua Hendo fight was too brutal for Fox then he needs to change the rules and not allow elbows to downed opponent.

Post #14   11/20/11 6:10:17PM   

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Career:1,533-897
Chips:

Posted by jae_1833

I hate draws, and I do believe that the judges scored it correctly. I stand by the fact that 10-8 rounds exist but do note think Shogun pulled it offer in the fifth. The top control was there but the gnp was note nearly effective enough for me. I personally think that the comeback by Shogun, the brutality displayed by Hendo in the third round would have done wonders on Fox. Dana is just convinced that a quick finish is what's the casuals want, I think he is confused....the casuals would have loved Bendo vs Guidance and Hendo vs Shogun both as much as I did....I just have the ability to follow the action a bit better is all.

If that wasn't a 10-8 or 10-7 round then we might as well strike them from the scoring system.

You can't reasonably expect a more dominant round than RND 5 of that fight.

Post #15   11/20/11 6:18:34PM   

Page 1 of 3     1     2     3