Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Do you think Evans/Salmon was a good fight?

Print  
Posted By Message

pv3Hpv3p

Heavyweight Champ

pv3Hpv3p Avatar

Career:827-576
Chips:
I know the fight was exciting, and the finish was just spectacular, but would you consider it a good match up? Or did Rashad just whoop on some can to pad that already impressive undefeated record?

I think salmon made a pretty good account for himself in the first round. Seemed to be able to take Evans down relatively easily and had a wilingness to stand and bang (AKA prove himself to casual fans). If anything I'd say his conditioning looked a little off, hence: wide open mouth when that right head kick connected = KO.

So whadayathink?

Did rashad beat a worthy opponent?

Or did he just bolster his undefeated record?

PS: I'm not trying to bash Salmon, Im asking if it was more of a C-level-fighter vs a B+ fighter on a hot streak. Or more simply was it a bad first time UFC matchup for Salmon or a real feather in Rashad's cap.

Post #1   1/26/07 3:51:45PM   

jmoooooo

MMA Regular

jmoooooo Avatar

Career:501-328
Chips:
I dont think it was a good fight.

Rashad was hardly impressive, his striking looked sloppy, the kick that finished the fight was more of a "punchers chance" type connection than technical skill or domination by one fighter.

Salmon looked better than people were expecting before the fight, seemed to dominate the wrestling and his striking (aside from the flashy-slow-kick at the start of the first round) looked tighter.

that being said.....

Salmon looked a little out of shape and heavy, he could probably stand to drop to 185 (he fought 2 weight classes under Rashad in college) but all things being equal, i think he put on a better show than Rashad, just got unlucky at the end.

Neither fighter was spectacular. Hardly a main event type fight, even though the finish was HL reel quality.

Post #2   1/26/07 4:09:50PM   

pv3Hpv3p

Heavyweight Champ

pv3Hpv3p Avatar

Chips:

Posted by jmoooooo

I dont think it was a good fight.

Rashad was hardly impressive, his striking looked sloppy, the kick that finished the fight was more of a "punchers chance" type connection than technical skill or domination by one fighter.

Salmon looked better than people were expecting before the fight, seemed to dominate the wrestling and his striking (aside from the flashy-slow-kick at the start of the first round) looked tighter.

that being said.....

Salmon looked a little out of shape and heavy, he could probably stand to drop to 185 (he fought 2 weight classes under Rashad in college) but all things being equal, i think he put on a better show than Rashad, just got unlucky at the end.

Neither fighter was spectacular. Hardly a main event type fight, even though the finish was HL reel quality.

Good point, I wasn't sure how much credit if any people were giving sean, and you're right, he did basically own the first. Good take downs and some good strikes, it seems like Evan's has a hell of a chin though.

I wouldn't go as far as to say that the kick was lucky (punchers chance). he was tossing that right high kick up here and there in the first and looked to me like he was trying to set it up for a while. Also agree that it was an odd main event selection, but ended with an exclamation point so there's not much I can complain about there.

Post #3   1/26/07 4:18:41PM   

jmoooooo

MMA Regular

jmoooooo Avatar

Career:501-328
Chips:
the reason i said punchers chance is he was telegraphing it and had already thrown it a few times, but salmon caught it (twice or three times, i believe). Salmon just happened to put his head down at the same time Rashad threw it.

It wasnt a GSP/Hughes head kick, which i would call skill and properly set up (throw a ton of low kicks to set up the high kick) Rashad threw the same kick and salmon lowered his head for him to make it easy on the last one

highlight reel finish, not a main event fight overall. From all accounts, marquardt/lister was far more entertaining...too bad they didnt show it.

Post #4   1/26/07 4:24:27PM   

pv3Hpv3p

Heavyweight Champ

pv3Hpv3p Avatar

Chips:
From all accounts, marquardt/lister was far more entertaining...too bad they didnt show it.

Ya, I almost went out of my skull when I saw they were showing Herman again, but then I just assumed it was because of the quick finish. Damn shame Nate can't get any real exposure... Soon enough I hope.

Post #5   1/26/07 4:50:25PM   

Jeffanori-Gomi

Standup Guy

Career:34-26
Camp: TAPOUT
Chips:
That Rashad fight was good. Salmon was doing alright, in the frist round. But hes got the Babalu disease cause he ducks forward everytime Rashad threw that jab- cross combo....

Post #6   1/26/07 9:20:56PM   

hippysmacker

Boondock Saints Mod

hippysmacker Avatar

Career:1,924-1,081
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:
I think Rashad is on his way to being an A-level fighter. The only criticism I have is it seems he was trying tp prove his standup. Who cares what the casual fan thinks? If you've got a good ground game, use it. Maybe Salmon was a better wrestler than him and he thought he had the advantage on the feet, but if your not scoring consistantly you can still get outpointed on the decision. However it just seemed to me that his gameplan was to land that kick for the Ko. He said his coach had pointed out Salmon had a tendency to duck his head. It seems to me if your fight plan is just to land the big shot, you better be really good at it(especially in a 15 minute fight). Otherwise you could end up like the Crow vs Swick. Waiting till it's too late if you don't pull out the KO. Heath Herring suffered from this and actually lost.

“Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie ,cheat ,or steal.for selfish gain. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil. Never back away from an enemy. Either fight or surrender. It is not enough to say I will not be evil. Evil must be fought wherever it is found.”
The Iron Code

Post #7   1/26/07 9:43:51PM   

strikefirstgear

MMA Regular

strikefirstgear Avatar

Career:54-37
Camp: StrikeFirstGear
Chips:

Posted by hippysmacker

I think Rashad is on his way to being an A-level fighter. The only criticism I have is it seems he was trying tp prove his standup. Who cares what the casual fan thinks? If you've got a good ground game, use it. Maybe Salmon was a better wrestler than him and he thought he had the advantage on the feet, but if your not scoring consistantly you can still get outpointed on the decision. However it just seemed to me that his gameplan was to land that kick for the Ko. He said his coach had pointed out Salmon had a tendency to duck his head. It seems to me if your fight plan is just to land the big shot, you better be really good at it(especially in a 15 minute fight). Otherwise you could end up like the Crow vs Swick. Waiting till it's too late if you don't pull out the KO. Heath Herring suffered from this and actually lost.

All true! This fight was good and I agree that Rashad went into this thinking that he would see how he did just working the stand up. We saw some things we have never seen from him which means he is learning. Give him some time to develop those skills and we may see a top level Rashad.

Hope he doesn't get thrown at Liddell too soon. I would like to see him develop into a quality opponant before he gains his first loss.

Post #8   1/26/07 10:19:51PM   

shawneth

MMA Regular

shawneth Avatar

Career:397-201
Chips:

Posted by hippysmacker

But he has got a great striking game too, he just doesn't use it. I was very impressed with his strikes in the Sam Hoger fight

Post #9   2/3/07 5:12:43PM   

ElGuApO91

MMA Regular

ElGuApO91 Avatar

Career:14-4
Camp: El Guapo
Chips:
it was a nice ko for rashad but i still think rashad is overrated. but i liked the fight .

Post #10   2/3/07 5:38:28PM   

OB_Juan

MMA Regular

OB_Juan Avatar

Career:481-329
Camp: Bloodyknux.com
Chips:
Salmon looked like a clown IMO. Even when he was warming up he looked awkward. The karate kid kick sealed it. Sure Rashad got a HL worthy KO but he still lost the first round to a guy that doesn't look like he belongs in the UFC... let alone be a main eventer even for Spike. Summary... I thought the fight sucked.

Post #11   2/3/07 9:15:20PM