Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

UFC Quick Quote: Dana White wants you to shut up and stop bitching about not seeing more fights on FOX

Print  
  Page 2 of 3     1     2     3  
Posted By Message

Manak

Belt Contender

Manak Avatar

Career:164-106
Camp: UFC-PRIDE-MMA
Chips:

Posted by Budgellism

Posted by pmoney

I will bitch, but let me explain. I will not bitch because of a lackluster card, that was not the case. I enjoyed all the fights last nice, especially since they were free. But, in my opinion, this was the worst possible thing that could have happened with this broadcast.

The production values were great. I even got a little emotional, watching how far my favorite sport had come. But to the casual fans who knew nothing about MMA, this broadcast did NOTHING to educate them on what they were seeing. I don't want them to do anything cheesy, but all the JDS and Cain highlights were them KO'ing people. The fight was 64 seconds long before the KO. To the casual fans watching, probably the only perceived difference between "UFC" and Boxing is the gloves and cage.

Hederson-Guida, Garza-Poirier, and Swanson-Lamas were all great fights that would have served well as a true display of MMA. Striking, wrestling, grappling, ground and pound, submissions, etc. That would be an eye opener for those new to the sport. Instead, everyone tuning in was treated to a vintage Mike Tyson like performance, the kind that makes people say "Why pay $50-60 for a sixty second fight?" Broadcasting some other fights could have potentially helped to prevent that.

That's very true. Whoever it was that made the final decision not to show Bendo vs. Guida made a huge mistake.

i agree with everything here but being compared to a vintage mike tyson fight is a great thing.. Tyson generated alot of media and attention to boxing

Post #16   11/13/11 4:51:09PM   

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Career:1,618-946
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
I can't believe Dana white would say something like this.

People have a right to complain.

I went to Vegas and I won a free car. I couldn't help but think, don't I deserve 10 free cars?

Post #17   11/13/11 5:12:41PM   

emfleek

- > THUG LIFE < -

emfleek Avatar

Career:2,386-1,258
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by bjj1605

I went to Vegas and I won a free car. I couldn't help but think, don't I deserve 10 free cars?

The car you won is a lemon and hasn't raced against any top cars for years.

Post #18   11/13/11 6:11:11PM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:2,660-1,415
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
I just love how dana talks to the fan base like that

Post #19   11/13/11 6:34:27PM   

Bubbles

Come at me bro

Bubbles Avatar

Career:1,153-681
Chips:
here are the reasons why i will bitch:

- the facebook streams are a piece of shit compared to watching it on tv. why would i want to sit and watch it on a 15-21" computer screen when we can watch it in HD on a 40"+ TV screen?
- having Lesnar on there was a horrible idea from the start. all he did was talk more about wanting a rematch than actually talking about the fight at hand
- they used the FOX NFL Sunday theme for this event
- the main event lasted a grand total of 64 seconds. there were 4 other fights that did not go to a decision that could have been shown afterwards...not to mention Guida/Bendo
- their half promo was just cut and pasted from the Primetime episodes
- they should have been prepared for the unlikely possibility that it ends in under 5 minutes. maybe the previous HW title fight should have been acknowledged

Last edited 11/13/11 6:55PM server time by bubbles
Edit note/reason: n/a

Men be careful, female sexual predators are using a date rape drug called a Blowjob to trap men into scams called relationships.

Post #20   11/13/11 6:54:34PM   

Twenty20Dollars

Heavyweight Champ

Career:1,572-1,001
Chips:

Posted by bjj1605

I put a dollar in, I got a car.

Post #21   11/13/11 11:31:36PM   

tcunningham

Combat Sport and Fitness

tcunningham Avatar

Career:540-380
Chips:
i was just starting to like dana too, then he says shit like this.

WE ARE THE FANS. WE GIVE THAT DUDE A JOB TO GO TO EVERYDAY!!!! give us what we want and dont tell us to shut up,

Post #22   11/14/11 2:28:45AM   

BlueSkiesBurn

USCFootball.com

BlueSkiesBurn Avatar

Career:534-389
Chips:
I actually have to agree with the individual who said this did nothing for the sport.

After the fight last night, a bunch of non-MMA fans were bitching on Twitter about the pointlessness of that fight and the hype surrounding it. I can't blame them. If I had never seen or watched something before and finally gave it a chance and it only last 64 seconds, I'd probably be pissed. I mean, it's not sex, so it's unlikely a lot of those people will want to try it again.

I definitely feel that Bendo-Guida should have been aired as well. I loved the production value, but I think a lot of people aren't looking at what happened last night from the lens of a first time viewer.

We are all huge MMA fans and many of us watched every fight. If I had tuned in last night for that fight and that fight only, I probably would have walked away saying "I don't understand the hype."

It's not like Cain or JDS really showed the first time fans all of the different complexities of the sport. It was a rather abrupt ending and not a whole lot took place in the fight.

Post #23   11/14/11 3:03:21AM   

Cooler

Banned for Cheating

Cooler Avatar

Career:886-472
Camp: The Evolutionaries
Chips:
You should stop bitching about the fans bitching and make it up to us.

What happened to making it up to the fans for UFC 112? or did I miss something?

Post #24   11/14/11 3:39:10AM   

tmas

Belt Contender

tmas Avatar

Career:1,147-887
Chips:
no the fans should stop bitching.....

WHATS TO BITCH ABOUT THE ENTIRE CARD WAS FREE!!!!! AND IT HAD AN AWESOME TITLE FIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! STOP BITCHING AND BE GRATEFUL

serious you all dont realize how much the UFC does for its fans they give free fights all the time do you see boxing or other mma promotions doing that?

NO..

STFU and be happy you ungrateful tools

Post #25   11/14/11 2:21:56PM   

BlueSkiesBurn

USCFootball.com

BlueSkiesBurn Avatar

Chips:

Posted by tmas

WHATS TO BITCH ABOUT THE ENTIRE CARD WAS FREE!!!!! AND IT HAD AN AWESOME TITLE FIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! STOP BITCHING AND BE GRATEFUL

serious you all dont realize how much the UFC does for its fans they give free fights all the time do you see boxing or other mma promotions doing that?

NO..

Again, I think you're failing to see this from the lens of a first time viewer. I've already stated countless times that I love the free fight concept. I watched all the fights on Facebook and, obviously, tuned in for the title fight.

But the whole idea behind bringing the UFC to FOX is to reach a new audience, get new viewers, and attract new fans.

The moral of the story here is that this event failed to do that on even the most basic level.

I doubt the die-hard MMA fan really cares what channel airs the UFC. We've watched on every single possible network the UFC has chosen. If anything, it's become harder for us. We have had to remember fights on Spike, fights on Versus, and now fights on FOX, FX, and Fuel TV.

It's not the most taxing thing in the world to do, but the whole reason you shoot for a network deal is to gain new fans that wouldn't have otherwise watched the sport. I'm sorry you don't understand that concept, but it was the first time viewers that had a problem with 64 seconds of action after having had this event shoved down their throats during the NFL and CFB games.

Post #26   11/14/11 4:16:50PM   

MaxOne

Captain Doctor

MaxOne Avatar

Career:862-586
Camp: Team Syntax
Chips:
I watched the fights on facebook. I'm a stupid fanatic but my dad is a much more casual fan. he enjoys it but doesn't go out of his way to find everything he can. He didn't see the facebook fights. He was looking fwd to seeing dos santos vs. cain...when it ended he was crazy disappointed in it as an event. He was irritated by how long it took to start and then with the idea that there would be no more fights shown after. I told him, "no...they have plenty of time I'm sure they'll show ben vs. clay it was a very entertaining fight." He said "no, that's it." He was trying to change the channel. I urged him to wait but he turned out to be correct. It was STUPID for them to not show under card fights after but honestly they should have thrown one of the shorter fights before too. I'm sure there are legal reason that kept them from showing other fights but they really should have prepared for that possibility.

I saw them all. I was content with what I spent my time doing but knowing how many folks could potentially be seeing for the first time I was really hoping they'd have had the common sense to have some other content ready.

Post #27   11/14/11 4:37:43PM   

tmas

Belt Contender

tmas Avatar

Career:1,147-887
Chips:

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

Posted by tmas

NO..

Again, I think you're failing to see this from the lens of a first time viewer. I've already stated countless times that I love the free fight concept. I watched all the fights on Facebook and, obviously, tuned in for the title fight.

But the whole idea behind bringing the UFC to FOX is to reach a new audience, get new viewers, and attract new fans.

The moral of the story here is that this event failed to do that on even the most basic level.

I doubt the die-hard MMA fan really cares what channel airs the UFC. We've watched on every single possible network the UFC has chosen. If anything, it's become harder for us. We have had to remember fights on Spike, fights on Versus, and now fights on FOX, FX, and Fuel TV.

It's not the most taxing thing in the world to do, but the whole reason you shoot for a network deal is to gain new fans that wouldn't have otherwise watched the sport. I'm sorry you don't understand that concept, but it was the first time viewers that had a problem with 64 seconds of action after having had this event shoved down their throats during the NFL and CFB games.

no no no you got it all wrong. the entire fox deal is meant to bring in more fans not 1 fight one time one night....

Post #28   11/14/11 6:01:40PM   

BlueSkiesBurn

USCFootball.com

BlueSkiesBurn Avatar

Chips:

Posted by tmas

no no no you got it all wrong. the entire fox deal is meant to bring in more fans not 1 fight one time one night....

I said the entire deal. You're failing to understand the concept of 1st impressions, though. If you take a girl out on a date for the first time and it's a relative disaster, she's unlikely to come back for a second date.

First time viewers were less than impressed with this event. I saw many people say that they wouldn't be watching again because it seemed pointless. Take that for what it's worth, but that's that.

Post #29   11/14/11 6:04:56PM   

BigIP

Standup Guy

BigIP Avatar

Career:43-35
Chips:

Posted by Cooler

You should stop bitching about the fans bitching and make it up to us.

What happened to making it up to the fans for UFC 112? or did I miss something?

It's posts like this that make the conspiracy theorist in me think the UFC has paid lackey's trolling MMA sites to post in their favor....

Post #30   11/14/11 7:15:33PM   

Page 2 of 3     1     2     3