Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Was UFC on Fox a success?

Print  
  Page 2 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

Poor_Franklin

Slight Reach Advantage

Poor_Franklin Avatar

Career:1,585-904
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:

Posted by ChrisSabal

Posted by kopower

I thought the production was underwhelming. Using the same music as the NFL/MLB was not a good choice imo, and the song at the end was laughable. I didn't mind Kurt Menefee in the pre and post fight show with Dana and Brock.

I think if this were just a ppv show, the ending would have been great. There was just so much hype in the weeks leading up to the fight, and for it to end so quickly was a bit of a letdown. Wish they would have shown Guida/Henderson

I'm almost positive that music is Fox Sports music so that's why they used it. I'm sorry I don't have a problem with a fight being hyped and then seeing a huge knock out but I guess that is just me.

i dug it

Post #16   11/13/11 4:28:43PM   

kingsmasher

BANNED

Career:258-155
Chips:
It was a huge success if you define success by boring me for a good 45 minutes...I like some story stuff but this was all produced back when Cain fought brock...not to mention guys just learning the sport commentators.....

It had a great feel though like a huge sporting event...It was a learning tool for Fox...And quite hionestly I am sure Fox is pushing for 1 fight again for the fact they know your TV is still tuned in...Which means advertising dollars for them...They dont care that we have the volume down...its still on generating money...I would be surprised if they started trying to have UFC on friday and sat and just one fight...

However that was a huge risk that Guida Henderson wasnt on TV...I mean you gotta figure that figth was going the distance and frantic pace..

Post #17   11/13/11 4:47:07PM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:2,530-1,341
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
Honestly I don't want the ufc to be mainstream
Ticket prices will go up
Tickets will sell out faster
And I don't wanna have to sit next to newbie fans for a 5 hour event that don't know shit about MMA!!

Post #18   11/13/11 5:08:31PM   

warglory

Heavyweight Champ

warglory Avatar

Career:535-344
Chips:
How are you guys surprised by this? Any of you? Dana White CLEARLY stated, weeks before the fight, that this was just a sneak peak, and would only contain one fight. And, because it was Dos Santos vs Velasquez, it was 95% a guarantee that either one would be put away in the first round.

This event is exactly how I expected it to pan out. A lot of hoopla in the lead up for new fans, and a KO as a result. Should they have had more than one fight? Sure, but this was the format for weeks, it was the agreed upon format in the U.S. How can anyone criticize the UFC or FOX for this?

Unbelievable how we hardcore's complain about free mma sometimes.

Last edited 11/13/11 5:50PM server time by warglory
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #19   11/13/11 5:49:00PM   

Geoffo

Standup Guy

Geoffo Avatar

Career:176-119
Chips:
FOX screwed things up for UFC by putting up only 1 fight.
To me, I could careless if it was a good introduction fight for the Non-MMA fans or not. I was rooting for JDS and it was a great, but short fight.

Dana was obviously pissed off during the Post Press Conference, but I think emotions are just getting to him. If this fight was not on FOX, he wouldn't of critisized Cain.

Post #20   11/13/11 6:20:31PM   

kizzane

MMA Regular

kizzane Avatar

Career:932-476
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
i thought as an introductory show it was successful but there are definitely some lessons learned.

I'm sure it has been attempted before but did anyone catch the guy that ran into the octagon during rogan and goldies commentary? He was grabbed by security pretty quick but i thought it was funny and wondered if anyone else caught it.

I got a pic from the video:

Image Attachment(s):

Photo Attachment 1

Post #21   11/13/11 8:12:39PM   

prophecy033

REBEL WITH A CAUSE

prophecy033 Avatar

Career:2,062-1,210
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
I felt that the broadcast could have been better. I wasn't digging the NFL music that opened the broadcast. A few tweaks hear and there tho and I feel it could work. It didn't have the UFC feel to it. Good learning experience tho for the next full card on FOX

Post #22   11/13/11 9:26:39PM   

fonduktoe

In Full Mount

fonduktoe Avatar

Career:1,539-952
Camp: The Tokyo Bacon Wolves
Chips:

Posted by warglory

How are you guys surprised by this? Any of you? Dana White CLEARLY stated, weeks before the fight, that this was just a sneak peak, and would only contain one fight. And, because it was Dos Santos vs Velasquez, it was 95% a guarantee that either one would be put away in the first round.

This event is exactly how I expected it to pan out. A lot of hoopla in the lead up for new fans, and a KO as a result. Should they have had more than one fight? Sure, but this was the format for weeks, it was the agreed upon format in the U.S. How can anyone criticize the UFC or FOX for this?

Unbelievable how we hardcore's complain about free mma sometimes.

it was the first time the ufc was on primetime. sneak peek or not it was THE FIRST TIME THE UFC WAS ON PRIMETIMETIME TV. i think its pretty obvious the ball was dropped. this was their chance to net alot of new fans and they did hype it as something more than a sneak peek. if i had never watched an mma fight before and tuned in saturday night i would've been underwhelmed. alot of the backlash is mma fans being inwardly disappointed at the fact that the debut of the ufc on fox was a dud. loved the ONE fight as a huge mma fan but am disappointed by the way it will be percieved by the casual viewer. imo a setback.

Post #23   11/14/11 5:31:18AM   

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Career:2,327-1,229
Chips:
5.7 million viewers and rated higher than any college football game this season outside of LSU/Alabama?

I'd say it was quite successful.

We, as MMA fans, were setting the bar way too high for this fight, in my opinion. I think a lot of fans were expecting a Griffin/Bonnar-like explosion in popularity.

There's definitely some work to be done. It's a work in progress.

Post #24   11/14/11 9:50:31AM   

scoozna

Annoying since 2007

scoozna Avatar

Career:2,311-1,280
Chips:
I'm still upset that it was on Fuel - which I don't currently have - so maybe I'm biased. I can see this as a big win for Fuel. I can only see this as a win for the UFC if all the advertising on Fox affiliates (Fuel not included) brings in fans they would never have reached on Spike.

I also don't see how this can be considered "prime time". My definition of prime time would include a network that was reasonably well known.

I don't necessarily buy into the "any free MMA is good" philosophy, and I do think there are some lessons to be learned here (music, too long of an intro).

Post #25   11/14/11 10:46:10AM   

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Chips:

Posted by scoozna

I'm still upset that it was on Fuel - which I don't currently have - so maybe I'm biased. I can see this as a big win for Fuel. I can only see this as a win for the UFC if all the advertising on Fox affiliates (Fuel not included) brings in fans they would never have reached on Spike.

I also don't see how this can be considered "prime time". My definition of prime time would include a network that was reasonably well known.

I don't necessarily buy into the "any free MMA is good" philosophy, and I do think there are some lessons to be learned here (music, too long of an intro).

Cain/JDS was not on FUEL. It was on FOX which is one of the big 4 (NBC, CBS, ABC, FOX). You don't get any more well-known when it comes to network TV.

The weigh-ins and pre/post fight stuff were on FUEL but not the fight (or the hour long special) itself.

Last edited 11/14/11 10:54AM server time by emfleek
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #26   11/14/11 10:54:03AM   

scoozna

Annoying since 2007

scoozna Avatar

Career:2,311-1,280
Chips:

Posted by emfleek

Posted by scoozna

Cain/JDS was not on FUEL. It was on FOX which is one of the big 4 (NBC, CBS, ABC, FOX). You don't get any more well-known when it comes to network TV.

The weigh-ins and pre/post fight stuff were on FUEL but not the fight (or the hour long special) itself.

Well hell, I must've read the FiOS tv listings wrong. I guess I saw the pre/post fight stuff on Fuel and figured it was there. So the reeeallly long wait before the fight worked to my advantage as I (unnecessarily) hunted down a stream on the web.

Post #27   11/14/11 12:15:30PM   

BeeR

MMA Sensei

BeeR Avatar

Career:681-411
Chips:
FOX sucks.
UFC on FOX sucked, not really the UFC's fault

Am I surprised?
No, Its more or less what I was expect from FOX and anything it puts forth/brodcasts.

will reiterate what I said when the UFC announced a partnership with FOX.

'Ewwwww, FOX"

I seriously hope the redeem themselves with the next event.

Post #28   11/14/11 6:31:23PM   

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Chips:

Posted by BeeR

FOX sucks.
UFC on FOX sucked, not really the UFC's fault

Am I surprised?
No, Its more or less what I was expect from FOX and anything it puts forth/brodcasts.

will reiterate what I said when the UFC announced a partnership with FOX.

'Ewwwww, FOX"

I seriously hope the redeem themselves with the next event.

You're definitely in the minority. I thought the broadcast was excellent.

Post #29   11/14/11 6:53:15PM   

Krazypoison

Learning to Sprawl

Krazypoison Avatar

Career:1,274-699
Camp: Canadian Power Team
Chips:
Do we somehow know what's the peak of the rating for the USA Fox event?

Post #30   11/15/11 11:01:11AM   

Page 2 of 2     1     2