Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Was UFC on Fox a success?

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

Rabi

Heavyweight Champ

Rabi Avatar

Career:1,878-1,108
Camp: MMA Worldwide
Chips:
From a US perspective, how successful was last night? I'd love to see UFC and the sport of MMA grow.

What fights were shown on US TV? I hope the Bendo/Guida fight was shown, that was an awesome fight!

In the UK we got the 2 above fights and Johnson/Harvison.

Post #1   11/13/11 8:50:13AM   

kopower

Heavyweight Champ

kopower Avatar

Career:2,225-1,198
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
Only the main event was shown. The fight didn't start until about 35 minutes into the broadcast. I wouldn't call it a success. There was so much build up going into the night, and it was over quick. Dana called Cain the perfect fighter during the prefight show, whoops.

At least it was an exciting finish. Of course the fight could have been worse, I just don't think the first show on FOX delivered the goods.

What you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in the playground is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no props, and may the mods have mercy on your soul.

Post #2   11/13/11 10:15:58AM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:2,339-1,246
Chips:
One hour block of time for a 64 second fight.

Fox blew it!!! Not ufc!!!

They should have added the contender match to it.

Post #3   11/13/11 10:36:32AM   

Rabi

Heavyweight Champ

Rabi Avatar

Career:1,878-1,108
Camp: MMA Worldwide
Chips:
Would that 1 fight have picked up more fans? Will the next UFC on Fox have more fights?

Post #4   11/13/11 10:41:34AM   

Twenty20Dollars

Heavyweight Champ

Career:1,572-1,001
Chips:
Took 40 minutes for the actual fight to start.

I was watching college football til the fight, b/c I didn't need to see all that set up.

Post #5   11/13/11 11:57:54AM   

SpiderSilva

PFM

SpiderSilva Avatar

Career:1,782-1,124
Chips:
I think the Guida Bendo fight would have brought in more fans than the title fight

He's been known to cure narcalepsy by just walking into a room. His orgin donation card list his beard. He is a lover not a fighter but he's also a fighter so don't get any idea's he is SpiderSilva I'm the baddest man alive

Post #6   11/13/11 11:57:54AM   

FastKnockout

THE RUTHLESS ONE

FastKnockout Avatar

Career:1,665-930
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
A lot of the American media seems to think the quick KO might have a negative impact instead of positive. Bendo/Guida could have saved it.

Post #7   11/13/11 12:09:28PM   

DoTheMMAth

MMA Sensei

DoTheMMAth Avatar

Career:1,409-867
Chips:
I doubt they'll get many new fans with the format of 59 minutes of commercials and jibber jabber with 1 minute of dudes punching. All but 2 of the fights on the card were fairly non-compelling to the average UFC fan. If the future UFC on Fox fight cards are like this I don't think I'll pass on going out on a Saturday night again for it.

From the perspective of a newbie tuning in for the first time, last night probably did more harm than good. All the pre-fight talk, post-fight hype, and buildup of a 2-3 hour long football game on TV but with a 1 minute delivery of the actual product. Who would enjoy that other than an existing fan? People's attention spans are so short as it is.

And bear in mind as well that the fight at least had a KO finish - what happens if they have GSP lay on someone for 5 rounds? Or D Cruz goes out there and hops around for 25 minutes? or someone else lays a turd? Even existing fans get pissed at those two (regardless of the fact that they are incredibly effective at winning at a sport).

I noticed last night that they started the fight too far into the hour for them even to have a 5 round decision (29 minutes + decision time) fit without either having it cut off or cutting off part of the next show. Would they cut the fight off and start the next scheduled show?

They're basically playing Russian roulette by only showing 1 fight - if the 1 fight doesn't deliver then good luck with your next show's ratings. At least if there's multiple fights shown the odds of having something fun happen to bring newbies back is higher.

As the broadcast was winding down they played some montage looking thing with some crappy tune showing the fight's brief highlites over and over. A pop song played over the short action? How about showing another fuckin fight? Is that the amazing Fox production value that is going to bring the sport to NFL levels?

Is sad, because I was pretty pumped at 5 minutes in with the NFL treatment the UFC was getting, but left disappointed, and said for the first time in my life "thank god there's some boxing on after this".

If I had to give it a letter grade from my perspective, I'd give them a D- out of generosity and love for the UFC.

Post #8   11/13/11 12:10:21PM   

tmas

Belt Contender

tmas Avatar

Career:1,071-844
Chips:

Posted by DoTheMMAth

I doubt they'll get many new fans with the format of 59 minutes of commercials and jibber jabber with 1 minute of dudes punching. All but 2 of the fights on the card were fairly non-compelling to the average UFC fan. If the future UFC on Fox fight cards are like this I don't think I'll pass on going out on a Saturday night again for it.

From the perspective of a newbie tuning in for the first time, last night probably did more harm than good. All the pre-fight talk, post-fight hype, and buildup of a 2-3 hour long football game on TV but with a 1 minute delivery of the actual product. Who would enjoy that other than an existing fan? People's attention spans are so short as it is.

And bear in mind as well that the fight at least had a KO finish - what happens if they have GSP lay on someone for 5 rounds? Or D Cruz goes out there and hops around for 25 minutes? or someone else lays a turd? Even existing fans get pissed at those two (regardless of the fact that they are incredibly effective at winning at a sport).

I noticed last night that they started the fight too far into the hour for them even to have a 5 round decision (29 minutes + decision time) fit without either having it cut off or cutting off part of the next show. Would they cut the fight off and start the next scheduled show?

They're basically playing Russian roulette by only showing 1 fight - if the 1 fight doesn't deliver then good luck with your next show's ratings. At least if there's multiple fights shown the odds of having something fun happen to bring newbies back is higher.

As the broadcast was winding down they played some montage looking thing with some crappy tune showing the fight's brief highlites over and over. A pop song played over the short action? How about showing another fuckin fight? Is that the amazing Fox production value that is going to bring the sport to NFL levels?

Is sad, because I was pretty pumped at 5 minutes in with the NFL treatment the UFC was getting, but left disappointed, and said for the first time in my life "thank god there's some boxing on after this".

If I had to give it a letter grade from my perspective, I'd give them a D- out of generosity and love for the UFC.

good for you.

i thought it was great definatly would have loved to see another fight and in the future its gonna be full cards this was just a gimme by fox to get the deal rolling early and not wait until next year. i loved just about every thing this broadcast had to offer and the fight was amazing!!!

and yes they started late on purpose, they were banking on it not being a 5 round fight and didnt wanna start the fight 20-30 mins into it and then it be a 1 min KO just like it happend can you imagine 15-30 mins of build 1 min fight and another 20-30 after? Fox would have allowed it to go over just like they do with all other live sports. Everything would have been shown on delay, until news, or those infomercial late night type things.

Post #9   11/13/11 1:10:21PM   

ChrisSabal

Go Cubs Go!

ChrisSabal Avatar

Career:738-530
Camp: TKO
Chips:
it is simple. Fox screwed up by only having 1 fight. They will take notice to this, hopefully, and have 2 fights next time.

Post #10   11/13/11 1:36:51PM   

DoTheMMAth

MMA Sensei

DoTheMMAth Avatar

Career:1,409-867
Chips:

Posted by tmas

good for you.

i thought it was great definatly would have loved to see another fight and in the future its gonna be full cards this was just a gimme by fox to get the deal rolling early and not wait until next year. i loved just about every thing this broadcast had to offer and the fight was amazing!!!

and yes they started late on purpose, they were banking on it not being a 5 round fight and didnt wanna start the fight 20-30 mins into it and then it be a 1 min KO just like it happend can you imagine 15-30 mins of build 1 min fight and another 20-30 after? Fox would have allowed it to go over just like they do with all other live sports. Everything would have been shown on delay, until news, or those infomercial late night type things.

You're right - I'm probably just whining like a spoiled UFC fan! After recent events like Penn vs Diaz and Edgar vs Maynard 3 the bar is set so high lately that last night just disappointed me. Some UFC > no UFC for sure, but is just the way I felt.

At least next weekend's card is a stacked-ass PPV.

That last sentence in itself sort of sums how how far the UFC has come: "next weekend's card"! It wasn't long ago that UFC was a once a month thing on average, and even longer before that!

Last edited 11/13/11 2:11PM server time by dothemmath
Edit note/reason: n/a
2 total post edits

Post #11   11/13/11 2:09:09PM   

DrivenDavies15

MMA Sensei

DrivenDavies15 Avatar

Career:1,335-763
Chips:
I think that night was a great success!
I mean there was a lot of hype during the show and having it end in 64 seconds could be a disapointment to some people but i'm sure we all watched the facebook fights and those were great, so i dunno why anyone would really need to complain

The point of this UFC on Fox "teaser" was to attract people who had never watched UFC before. With a 64 second KO it left those people wanting more. And will probably be fans for life. If this had been a lackluster fight somehow a lot of new fans would jump off the bandwagon I guaruntee. I've been watching the sport for quite a few years now and I really liked the Monday night football apeal FOX gave the UFC, and look forward to more events on FOX

Post #12   11/13/11 2:29:00PM   

kopower

Heavyweight Champ

kopower Avatar

Career:2,225-1,198
Chips:
I thought the production was underwhelming. Using the same music as the NFL/MLB was not a good choice imo, and the song at the end was laughable. I didn't mind Kurt Menefee in the pre and post fight show with Dana and Brock.

I think if this were just a ppv show, the ending would have been great. There was just so much hype in the weeks leading up to the fight, and for it to end so quickly was a bit of a letdown. Wish they would have shown Guida/Henderson

What you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in the playground is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no props, and may the mods have mercy on your soul.

Post #13   11/13/11 3:33:49PM   

ChrisSabal

Go Cubs Go!

ChrisSabal Avatar

Career:738-530
Camp: TKO
Chips:

Posted by kopower

I thought the production was underwhelming. Using the same music as the NFL/MLB was not a good choice imo, and the song at the end was laughable. I didn't mind Kurt Menefee in the pre and post fight show with Dana and Brock.

I think if this were just a ppv show, the ending would have been great. There was just so much hype in the weeks leading up to the fight, and for it to end so quickly was a bit of a letdown. Wish they would have shown Guida/Henderson

I'm almost positive that music is Fox Sports music so that's why they used it. I'm sorry I don't have a problem with a fight being hyped and then seeing a huge knock out but I guess that is just me.

Post #14   11/13/11 3:41:48PM   

Poor_Franklin

Slight Reach Advantage

Poor_Franklin Avatar

Career:1,424-810
Chips:
i think we'll find out how big the success is when we get the worldwide ratings.

Competing against College Football in America isn't the easiest thing. So i expect the next UFC on FOX would pull a much larger number since the season will have finished by then.

UFC 151: Never Forget

Post #15   11/13/11 4:27:47PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2