Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Forrest Griffin Apologizes for Twitter Rape Joke, Donates to Rape Crisis Center

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

FastKnockout

$ Impin' Ain't Easy $

FastKnockout Avatar

Career:1,786-990
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
Forrest Griffin tweeting out a joke about rape became a big story given the timing of the UFC's Fox debut. The story of his tweet was picked up by major online media sources and it led to a questioning of the UFC's embrace of Twitter and associated reward system while refusing to hold fighters accountable for harmful tweets.

Forrest has now apologized to a local rape crisis center whose executive director said "The entire comment was disgusting and insensitive." Las Vegas ABC affiliate KTNV has Griffin's apology:

"I like to cause trouble, I like to stir the pot and I like to make a mess of things, but I really do not want to be mean or malicious to anyone. I feel bad, I want to apologize, I feel like a should be punished a little bit. Maybe other professional athletes or just guys in locker rooms can kind of be more sensitive towards the topic of rape. Once you take the comments in the light of day you feel disgusted by it, but at the time you don't think."

LINK

Post #1   11/11/11 4:28:04PM   

Chael_Sonnen

Follow.The.Buzzards

Chael_Sonnen Avatar

Career:1,277-785
Chips:
Apology not accepted....speaking of rape, anybody catch the last fight with Forrest and Shogun?

Post #2   11/11/11 5:28:23PM   

FlashyG

Heavyweight Champ

FlashyG Avatar

Career:2,275-1,280
Chips:
Forrest learned a tough lesson,

If you're going to attempt a joke about a subject like rape, you better be damn funny or all you'll do is create enemies.

I've only seen 1 comedian pull it off and even for him it only works in the right setting....Twitter isn't that setting.

Post #3   11/11/11 5:46:46PM   

FastKnockout

$ Impin' Ain't Easy $

FastKnockout Avatar

Career:1,786-990
Chips:

Posted by FlashyG

Forrest learned a tough lesson,

If you're going to attempt a joke about a subject like rape, you better be damn funny or all you'll do is create enemies.

I've only seen 1 comedian pull it off and even for him it only works in the right setting....Twitter isn't that setting.

It seems like in most cases whenever an athlete does something negative in the eyes of the media, they try to throw money at whatever cause they insulted and hope it's brushed off, and doesn't really learn a lesson except to watch what you say when you know people are watching.

Post #4   11/11/11 5:52:20PM   

quezocrema0032

Belt Contender

quezocrema0032 Avatar

Career:1,984-1,059
Chips:
People are to sensitive. He aplogized & aslong as this doesn't happenagain then people should stay off his back.

On a seperate note I think this brings mma full circle as a legitimate sport, we now have our top athletes dropping the ball on twitter and being trashed for it. We really have made it main stream
:)

Post #5   11/11/11 6:14:53PM   

jjeans

Emma Watson Picture Incoming

jjeans Avatar

Career:1,166-696
Chips:
Hate to sound like I'm encouraging him but what did he actually say? What was the joke?

Thiago Silva nuthugger.

Admin of MMA Memes of Facebook. A Roundtable Analyst on The MMA Podcast. Journalist for MMA Mental.

Dirty Blue #DoItForWatson

Post #6   11/11/11 8:05:51PM   

Manak

Belt Contender

Manak Avatar

Career:164-106
Camp: UFC-PRIDE-MMA
Chips:

Posted by jjeans

Hate to sound like I'm encouraging him but what did he actually say? What was the joke?

"rape is the new missionary" not the best choice of words.. leave the jokes to comedians (they have the media context to say outrageous things) just like someone said a lot of people are sensitive now. Especially when you are an athlete, fans are fans but they are not your good friend who understands your humor n stuff like that.

Im sure most people have been in that locker room atmosphere where its just the guys having fun but that doesn't always translate over to the norm..

Edit: there was also another tweet where he said "losing sux cause when lose you have to beat your wife so I just prefer to win" those weren't the exact words but close to something like that.

to me its just Forrest goofing around just like in his twitter he has the on going quotes which make fun of him self. Like the chuck norris jokes but instead of how awesome, its how much forrest sux at things

Last edited 11/11/11 8:34PM server time by manak
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #7   11/11/11 8:30:39PM   

Bubbles

Come at me bro

Bubbles Avatar

Career:1,120-670
Chips:
when will people grow some balls, a backbone, and/or a sense of humor? why is every little thing blown so damn out of proportion? society is full of a bunch of sensitive, overreacting, paranoid pussies

Men be careful, female sexual predators are using a date rape drug called a Blowjob to trap men into scams called relationships.

Post #8   11/11/11 8:44:15PM   

quezocrema0032

Belt Contender

quezocrema0032 Avatar

Career:1,984-1,059
Chips:

Posted by Bubbles

when will people grow some balls, a backbone, and/or a sense of humor? why is every little thing blown so damn out of proportion? society is full of a bunch of sensitive, overreacting, paranoid pussies

Agreed, and who else finds it ironic the Cheal Sonnen guy finds this insulting and doesn't accept his apology lol. So Cheals comments are ok but when Forrest says something its out of line. & I am a Sonnen fan and not one of these guys on the playground who always get worked up after one of his soundbites. You can't have it both ways

Post #9   11/11/11 9:51:13PM   

Travesty145

MMA Regular

Travesty145 Avatar

Career:675-411
Chips:
anybody remember what he said about that girl that killed her daughter and got away with it? now that shit was funny

Post #10   11/11/11 11:34:53PM   

Chael_Sonnen

Follow.The.Buzzards

Chael_Sonnen Avatar

Career:1,277-785
Chips:

Posted by quezocrema0032

Posted by Bubbles

Agreed, and who else finds it ironic the Cheal Sonnen guy finds this insulting and doesn't accept his apology lol. So Cheals comments are ok but when Forrest says something its out of line. & I am a Sonnen fan and not one of these guys on the playground who always get worked up after one of his soundbites. You can't have it both ways

I find it ironic that Twitter eventually raped Forrest.

Post #11   11/11/11 11:36:29PM   

Cooler

Banned for Cheating

Cooler Avatar

Career:886-472
Camp: The Evolutionaries
Chips:
Boo hoo, big deal, at least he donated money to satisfy the politcally correct.

Post #12   11/12/11 3:37:08AM   

VILLIN

Human/Sloth Hybrid

VILLIN Avatar

Career:1,848-1,065
Chips:

Posted by Bubbles

Couldn't agree more, the world is so PC crazy these days that nearly anything you say will offend some bleeding heart ****.

Post #13   11/12/11 4:43:58AM   

warglory

Heavyweight Champ

warglory Avatar

Career:535-344
Chips:

Posted by Bubbles

I'm willing to bet you don't have anyone you're close to that has ever been raped. It's fine making crude jokes in the right context and environment, but the man wrote this on twitter. As has already been stated, these are his fans, not his buddies on a road trip or something.

Had Forrest dropped the N bomb, would you be saying this? That word is too sensitive of a topic for most white people to joke about, that's just the way it is, and you have to respect people's feelings on that. The same goes for a topic like rape. Why make a public joke about that when you have absolutely no clue who is reading it?

Post #14   11/13/11 2:07:47AM   

Pookie

Remember Paul Herrera

Pookie Avatar

Career:1,887-1,050
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
It makes sense that there's backlash because of it. But i don't particularly mind, as i see the context as non-malicious and really, he's saying something implicitly that i think alot of people are missing.

Post #15   11/13/11 3:07:47AM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2