Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

GSP Confirms Average Income Of $4-$5 Million Per Fight

Print  
  Page 2 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

FlashyG

Heavyweight Champ

FlashyG Avatar

Career:2,343-1,317
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
Its possible, but I doubt the bonuses have to do with the title, it has to do with him as a draw.

As long as people buy his PPV's his bonus likely remains unchanged.

Its all speculation though because the UFC refuses to operate transparently like the other sports and nobody knows how they set up their deals.

If they can cut his pay like that, then there is even more issues with how they do business and maybe its time the fighters had a union to level the playing field.

Post #16   11/11/11 11:40:15AM   

machodog76

MMA Sensei

machodog76 Avatar

Career:2,719-1,676
Camp: country KO
Chips:
And somewhere Nick Diaz is pissed off about it.

Last edited 11/11/11 12:36PM server time by machodog76
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #17   11/11/11 12:36:06PM   

esbjj

Learning to Sprawl

Career:-
Chips:
Brock is still the highest paid

Post #18   11/11/11 12:58:06PM   

MisterFreeze

Standup Guy

MisterFreeze Avatar

Career:317-283
Chips:

Posted by tcunningham

the difference is, is if GSP loses his title and doesnt immediately get it back, he'll probably lose a huge percentage of that 4-5 million. players in other sports still make a shit ton of money, even if their team is the Detroit lions

I guess you haven't been watching the Lions this year ;-)

Post #19   11/11/11 1:11:22PM   

Manak

Belt Contender

Manak Avatar

Career:164-106
Camp: UFC-PRIDE-MMA
Chips:

Posted by FlashyG

Its possible, but I doubt the bonuses have to do with the title, it has to do with him as a draw.

As long as people buy his PPV's his bonus likely remains unchanged.

Its all speculation though because the UFC refuses to operate transparently like the other sports and nobody knows how they set up their deals.

If they can cut his pay like that, then there is even more issues with how they do business and maybe its time the fighters had a union to level the playing field.

but alot more ppl will buy a ppv if there is a title on the line so he will lose some of his cut since it wont be a title fight if he loses his belt.

Posted by FlashyG

NBA - $473,604
MLB - $414,000
NFL - $285,000
NHL - $525,000
UFC - $12,000

UFC doesnt make an income in the billions yet. like those sports do. just give it more time before they can create high revenue to raise the average. GSP does make more than most athletes in all sports except for the top percentages in each sport

Post #20   11/11/11 3:21:13PM   

FlashyG

Heavyweight Champ

FlashyG Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Manak

UFC doesnt make an income in the billions yet. like those sports do. just give it more time before they can create high revenue to raise the average. GSP does make more than most athletes in all sports except for the top percentages in each sport

Dana White claims the UFC is worth 2 Billion dollars, Forbes had it at around 1 Billion in 2008. If they can afford to pay GSP more than every single NHL hockey player for only 3 nights work, they can afford to pay their bottom end talent at least on par with wrestling.

Post #21   11/11/11 3:27:51PM   

Manak

Belt Contender

Manak Avatar

Career:164-106
Camp: UFC-PRIDE-MMA
Chips:

Posted by FlashyG

Posted by Manak

Dana White claims the UFC is worth 2 Billion dollars, Forbes had it at around 1 Billion in 2008. If they can afford to pay GSP more than every single NHL hockey player for only 3 nights work, they can afford to pay their bottom end talent at least on par with wrestling.

NHL has a cap and players can earn no more than 12 million, caps effect how much you can spend one player because it will mean you have less money to pay other athletes. also they NHL makes lot more than the avg salary of 500,000

http://content.usatoday.com/sportsdata/hockey/nhl/salaries/team

also here is their break down

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_player_salaries_in_the_NHL

also I didnt know UFC was worth a billion so I was wrong on that. I still dont think UFC can afford to bring their min up yet.. also remember theses sports have been around for ages and while ufc is only been around 18 years. like i said before give it some time, no need to rush and end goin belly up

Post #22   11/11/11 4:11:20PM   

FlashyG

Heavyweight Champ

FlashyG Avatar

Chips:
If you look up the NHL before the Cap was instituted in 04-05 you'll see that even then nobody made over 12 million a year.

if they can't afford to up their minimum payments then they can't really afford to pay multiple fighters 10 + million a year.

The UFC employs 287 fighters, GSP, Anderson, and Brock are all likely making around the 12 million a year figure. If they each got 3 mil a fight instead of 4, that leaves 9 million dollars the UFC can spend to up the lower ends pay.

That would leave 32k per fighter for the rest of the roster.

The problem isn't that they aren't making enough money, its that only a handful of guys are taking all the profits while everyone else gets the crumbs.

Post #23   11/11/11 4:49:50PM   

kingsmasher

BANNED

Career:258-155
Chips:
I think its a matter of time before theres a fighters Union and the pay for all fighters is a lil more fair...In reality I am not sure how much true differential in pay perview buys are there between GSP on a card and if he gets last second injury....

Well actually he prolly has a lot of bargaining power and the highest paid siince he is canadian...Im sure he gets a ton of pple there...I would guess he gets a cut of the canadian market...

If he makes that I am curious just what Brock made in reality...

Post #24   11/11/11 6:00:04PM   

Kpro

I STAB WATERBEDS!

Kpro Avatar

Career:2,573-1,315
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
I agree that $4k to show is too low but I don't think comparing UFC pay to other major sports is a good comparison because the UFC pay is performance based. You'll get your show money and it doubles if you win and if you get involved in KOTN, FOTN, SOTN you're well above the lowest paid rostered WWF athlete in one night. And if you prove you were worth being signed you'll get a hefty pay raise on your next contract.

Your freedom with payment from sponsors is also incredibly more favorable to the UFC athlete than any of the sports listed above. There are some fighters with posts on Craigslist as I type this asking sponsors to make an offer as the $100k to the UFC rule only applies to supplement companies, online companies, or clothing companies.

Sure the OTN's and win bonuses are performance based but I think performance based pay and pay from sponsors is what makes this sport what it is and not having athletes 'mail it in' with their performance as athletes in all other sports do once they know they make the same pay regardless.

If both fighters were told "you're making $20k tonight, win or lose" versus "you're both making $5k to step into the ring. Winner gets an extra $5k, and if either of you get the KOTN, SOTN, or FOTN, I'll toss an extra $75k your way". I'm pretty sure we get a lot better fight the second way.

I'm just playing devils advocate. I do agree they can and should afford to up it from $4k to show; just pointing out that comparing it to more profitable companies that do not pay their athletes based on performance is not a good comparison.

Last edited 11/12/11 5:31PM server time by Kpro
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #25   11/12/11 5:28:20PM   

Page 2 of 2     1     2