Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

National biases in MMA.

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

FlashyG

Heavyweight Champ

FlashyG Avatar

Career:2,499-1,386
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
I started thinking about this a few minutes ago reading the thread about the members from the UK and their favorite fighters.

JJeans stated there are a few fighters he only likes cause their British. I kind of feel the same way about a few Canadian fighters,
Patrick Cote,
Jason MacDonald,
Sam Stout,
TJ Grant,
every Canadian who has ever been on TUF. (Including the guy whose only accomplishment was having his bed pissed on by Leben [Jason Thacker])

I don't see a lot of it in posts from Americans, but at live events its hard to miss the USA chant that happens from time to time.

So my question is, have you ever found yourself cheering for someone based solely on their nationality?

Post #1   11/10/11 4:38:02PM   

Poor_Franklin

Slight Reach Advantage

Poor_Franklin Avatar

Career:1,715-978
Chips:
I can honestly say there are no fighter's i've ever pulled for because they were American & the other fighter was not. also you will never hear me chant USA unless I'm watching an Olympic event or watching International soccer games.

edit: one of my favorites is Alan Belcher, who is from my home state of MS, but I became a fan of his more from watching him fight than knowing where he was from.

Last edited 11/10/11 5:03PM server time by Poor_Franklin
Edit note/reason: n/a
2 total post edits

Post #2   11/10/11 4:42:54PM   

jjeans

Emma Watson Picture Incoming

jjeans Avatar

Career:1,247-738
Chips:

Thanks for mentioning me, Being British it is easy to say yes! But I will say I found it hard to cheer for Renan Baroa when everybody around me was booing, I had to stand up and clap

When everybody was booing cause Pickett lost I stood up and started cheering, people behind me started booing even more so I turned round and gestured to make some noise! Which they did till my mate sat me down

Dirty Blue

Post #3   11/10/11 4:46:01PM   

Pookie

Remember Paul Herrera

Pookie Avatar

Career:1,959-1,091
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by FlashyG

So my question is, have you ever found yourself cheering for someone based solely on their nationality?

Nationality, no. Ethnicity, yes.

Last edited 11/10/11 4:46PM server time by pookie

Post #4   11/10/11 4:46:21PM   

FastKnockout

THE RUTHLESS ONE

FastKnockout Avatar

Career:2,006-1,108
Chips:

Posted by Poor_Franklin

I can honestly say there are no fighter's i've ever pulled for because they were American & the other fighter was not. also you will never hear me chant USA unless I'm watching an Olympic event or watching International soccer games.

I'm usually the same way, with the exception of the US vs. UK season of TUF.

Post #5   11/10/11 4:48:20PM   

Theoutlaw08

MMA Sensei

Theoutlaw08 Avatar

Career:771-549
Chips:
Yeah, I don't cheer for people because they are American.
The only guy I cheer for because of his location is Anthony Pettis, because we have the same hometown of Milwaukee. I like him for other reasons too, but the Milwaukee thing is part of it.

Post #6   11/10/11 4:57:23PM   

shaneTpain

Av Bet Record: 41-51

shaneTpain Avatar

Career:1,682-1,046
Chips:
OH CANADA
MY HOME & NATIVE LAND

of course i support my fellow countrymen

especially when one of them is the POUND FOR POUND BEST FIGHTER ON PLANET EARTH

I dont even have to say his name cause u already know its true

Post #7   11/10/11 5:03:35PM   

Chael_Sonnen

Follow.The.Buzzards

Chael_Sonnen Avatar

Career:1,277-785
Chips:
The ONLY fighter I like is Chael P. Sonnen

Post #8   11/10/11 5:18:17PM   

bojangalz

The Original Playground Bully

bojangalz Avatar

Career:1,554-840
Chips:
I've become somewhat of an atheist when it comes to sports. I don't have any favorite fighters, teams, etc. I cheer for a clean and technically pleasing fight and nothing more. Doesn't matter whose in the cage, where they were born, or what flag they've got ext to their name. I'll cheer for a great and entertaining fight before I'll cheer for a specific fighter- As long as the athletes use the fullest of their abilities and don't quit on themselves.

EDIT- I'll admit. I do cheer for whomever I've got listed on my fight companion.

Last edited 11/10/11 5:41PM server time by bojangalz

Post #9   11/10/11 5:31:50PM   

FlashyG

Heavyweight Champ

FlashyG Avatar

Career:2,499-1,386
Chips:

Posted by Pookie

Posted by FlashyG

This is interesting, What ethnic group do you find yourself cheering for?

Post #10   11/10/11 5:33:36PM   

prophecy033

REBEL WITH A CAUSE

prophecy033 Avatar

Career:2,146-1,245
Chips:
I just cheer for who I like, I don't care where their from or what color they are TBH

Post #11   11/10/11 5:38:41PM   

UFC_Fanatic

Belt Contender

UFC_Fanatic Avatar

Career:1,587-973
Camp: Playground Bullies
Chips:
Oddly enough, a lot of the fighters that I want to see succeed and/or like are normally from countries other than America. I often find myself cheering for Japanese fighters when they transition over to the UFC, but that probably stems more from my fascination and love for the Japanese and their culture, and a lot of the asian culture in general. I love their core values of honor, and respect, and the ridiculous work ethic that has, in a general sense, been ingrained in japanese people. It's especially evident when you compare the way the Japanese people reacted after the devastating earthquake from early this year hit them, to the way people in Haiti reacted after the earthquake that hit them, or even the way the people of New Orleans reacted after Katrina. In New Orleans and Haiti people immediately started looting and everything devolved into a state of lawlessness, where as in Japan the people started looking out for each other and offered a helping hand when they could. I can't think of a single time after the earthquake that I heard on the news, or read online, that looting had become a problem or crime rates sky rocketed. ]
Of course, it's probably also worthy of noting that I'm going to college for a bachelor's with a history major, so a level of fascination with other cultures, and the world in general, is to be expected.

Post #12   11/10/11 5:42:19PM   

Pookie

Remember Paul Herrera

Pookie Avatar

Career:1,959-1,091
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by FlashyG

Posted by Pookie

Posted by FlashyG

This is interesting, What ethnic group do you find yourself cheering for?

Mexican and the rare, Native American fighter, when those appear.

Also, fighters with similar builds to myself. Great fighters with shorter reaches who have to use footwork/head movement to get in range. (Penn, Rampage, Fedor)

Post #13   11/10/11 6:07:32PM   

Budgellism

Randy

Budgellism Avatar

Career:3,050-1,735
Chips:

Posted by FlashyG

I started thinking about this a few minutes ago reading the thread about the members from the UK and their favorite fighters.

JJeans stated there are a few fighters he only likes cause their British. I kind of feel the same way about a few Canadian fighters,
Patrick Cote,
Jason MacDonald,
Sam Stout,
TJ Grant,
every Canadian who has ever been on TUF. (Including the guy whose only accomplishment was having his bed pissed on by Leben [Jason Thacker])

I don't see a lot of it in posts from Americans, but at live events its hard to miss the USA chant that happens from time to time.

As a fellow Canadian I pretty much agree with your list. I don't really like Cote all that much but I feel like it's an obligation to root for him against most fighters. I'm legitimately a fan of Hominick, gsp, Stout and Rory MacDonald though. Grant is growing on me as well. And Claude Patrick because we're both from Toronto. Sean Pierson too because I know him.

And how about my first favourite Canadian fighter, Gary Goodridge?

Last edited 11/10/11 6:16PM server time by budgellism
2 total post edits

Post #14   11/10/11 6:14:02PM   

tn_rebel

Standup Guy

tn_rebel Avatar

Career:795-515
Camp: TN Brawlers
Chips:
[

Last edited 11/10/11 7:25PM server time by tn_rebel