Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Anderson Silva Reacts to Mark Munoz Challenge, Thought He Was a Friend

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

FastKnockout

THE RUTHLESS ONE

FastKnockout Avatar

Career:1,665-930
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
Mark Munoz came into UFC 138 ranked #4 in the world at middleweight in the USA TODAY / MMA Nation Consensus Rankings and did nothing to lower his ranking with a resounding drubbing of #12 Chris Leben. Following his win, Munoz made it known that he wanted a shot at UFC champ Anderson Silva.

Munoz has trained at Black House several times, increasing his own skills as well as providing men like Silva with a top shelf wrestler to train with. Silva was told by SporTV about the challenge from Munoz and didn't seem too thrilled (translation by Tom Mendes):

I hadn't even seen that (Munoz's challenge). I thought Munoz was a friend, but that's okay...

LINK

Post #1   11/8/11 12:29:54PM   

FlashyG

Heavyweight Champ

FlashyG Avatar

Career:2,177-1,222
Chips:
How disrespectful of Munoz to say such scathing things about a friend as..

"I paid my dues in this weight class and I think I deserve a title shot. Anderson Silva is by far the best pound-for-pound fighter. I give him all the respect and honor, but I think I deserve a title shot right now. I consider him a friend, but right now I'd love to get a title shot."

Maybe Anderson should actually look up his comments before ending the friendship, sounds like Munoz still considers him one, but Silva happens to be a friend that's between him and his dream.

Post #2   11/8/11 12:35:37PM   

Chael_Sonnen

Follow.The.Buzzards

Chael_Sonnen Avatar

Career:1,277-785
Chips:
I hear a baby crying in the background.

Post #3   11/8/11 12:42:10PM   

FastKnockout

THE RUTHLESS ONE

FastKnockout Avatar

Career:1,665-930
Chips:

Posted by FlashyG

"I paid my dues in this weight class and I think I deserve a title shot. Anderson Silva is by far the best pound-for-pound fighter. I give him all the respect and honor, but I think I deserve a title shot right now. I consider him a friend, but right now I'd love to get a title shot."

Maybe Anderson should actually look up his comments before ending the friendship, sounds like Munoz still considers him one, but Silva happens to be a friend that's between him and his dream.

It's getting ridiculous.

Post #4   11/8/11 1:10:52PM   

Manak

Belt Contender

Manak Avatar

Career:164-106
Camp: UFC-PRIDE-MMA
Chips:

Posted by FastKnockout

Posted by FlashyG

It's getting ridiculous.

seriously how can a professional fighter who happens to be the champ & the p4p king be so butt hurt every time some one he knows wants to fight him... are they suppose to put their goals and aspiration on hold for him??

I understand the brutal nature of fighting a good friend but its your job and its not like they got into an argument that lead to a fight; no it is an controlled environment to test your skills vs an opponent. Like bas rutten said you fight to be the champ.

Post #5   11/8/11 2:03:10PM   

KungFuMaster

Heavyweight Champ

KungFuMaster Avatar

Career:423-341
Camp: The Lone Ranger(s)
Chips:
Anderson Silva has no place to hide anymore. He buttered Machida and convinced him they should not fight because they are friends. IMO, Machida is a natural MW and should be fighting in the MW division and it would be a travesty if he does not fight Anderson Silva.

Regarding Munoz: I don't think Munoz can win against Anderson Silva but he is doing the right thing. Friendship or not, a championship is on the line and career opportunities are at stake. If they were true friends and hung out together, then I can understand reasons for Munoz not wanting to fight Anderson. They are not friends. They are co-workers and or acquaintances. The word friendship has been loosely used in our society. We call co-workers friends. We call classmates friends. Do we invite co-workers and colleagues to our house on a regular basis? The answer is no. We invite friends who could be co-workers and or colleagues.

Take for instance the camaraderie among these boards... I will call some of you my friends but are we truly friends? The answer is no. You will not help me in my time of need and I will not help you in your time of need. True friendship requires two to bond and spend time with each other away from the work, organizations, and or functions which the two may belong.

I would never want to hurt a true friend. However, if my true friend happens to be applying for a promotion within our company, should I just not apply and let him get the job? Apply this same aspect into MMA and the logical answer is to do what is beneficial for you. I know it sounds selfish but as ncordless and I have proved, selfish and selfless are not complete opposites and are actually more closely related than the two words imply.

If Silva wants to play the friendship card, why not just retire so his friends can have a shot at the championship? Why not move to another promotion to avoid fighting friends altogether? It goes both ways.

I really don't want friends to have to fight each other but whenever friends refuse to fight each other, one of them usually gets screwed and you have to wonder who is really screwing who?

Last edited 11/8/11 2:14PM server time by KungFuMaster
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #6   11/8/11 2:13:06PM   

Hendo67

MMA Sensei

Hendo67 Avatar

Career:1,066-730
Camp: East Coast Pitbulls
Chips:
Get some thicker skin, Anderson... man, this guy complains so much about such petty things.

Post #7   11/8/11 2:55:24PM   

Budgellism

Raptors Fan

Budgellism Avatar

Career:2,716-1,550
Chips:
Yeah, Anderson's comments here didn't sit right with me at all. Munoz only praised the guy, I mean come on.

Post #8   11/8/11 3:42:45PM   

gravy13

Standup Guy

gravy13 Avatar

Career:347-224
Chips:
I think you all are reading WAY too much into this comment.

I hadn't even seen that (Munoz's challenge). I thought Munoz was a friend, but that's okay...

Who cares? He'll fight him regardless if the UFC wants him to. He's saying that's okay. Maybe he's just trying to pump it up a little early IF it is a future fight.

Post #9   11/8/11 4:58:17PM   

FlashyG

Heavyweight Champ

FlashyG Avatar

Career:2,177-1,222
Chips:

Posted by gravy13

I think you all are reading WAY too much into this comment.

Who cares? He'll fight him regardless if the UFC wants him to. He's saying that's okay. Maybe he's just trying to pump it up a little early IF it is a future fight.

I don't think he's trying to pump any fight with Munoz. It seemed to me he was saying that if Munoz did challenge him, he would no longer be his friend. Although its hard to tell if thats what he meant as its translated from Portugese.

Looks like it worked though, Munoz is calling out Bisping now instead of Anderson.

Post #10   11/8/11 5:21:04PM   

Chael_Sonnen

Follow.The.Buzzards

Chael_Sonnen Avatar

Chips:
Ahhh, poor Andy needs a hug.

Radio EDIT....lets just say for arguments sake that Andy doesn't want to fight Munoz, which is a great possibility, or Chael, again, which is blatantly obvious, then who does Andy want to fight? Patrick Cote

Last edited 11/8/11 6:18PM server time by chael_sonnen
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #11   11/8/11 6:12:54PM   

tcunningham

Combat Sport and Fitness

tcunningham Avatar

Career:508-351
Chips:
im wanting to see munoz vs stann or vitor. i know vitors got rumble next but i wanna see munoz take on a serious striker before he gets a title shot.

Post #12   11/8/11 8:58:54PM   

ghandikush

MMA Sensei

ghandikush Avatar

Career:118-71
Chips:

Posted by Hendo67

Get some thicker skin, Anderson... man, this guy complains so much about such petty things.

My econd favorite fighter but he has pride to a fault.

Post #13   11/8/11 9:29:12PM   

Chael_Sonnen

Follow.The.Buzzards

Chael_Sonnen Avatar

Chips:

Posted by ghandikush

Posted by Hendo67

My econd favorite fighter but he has pride to a fault.

To quote the great Marsellus Wallace......"FU#K Pride!"

Post #14   11/8/11 10:58:22PM   

Geoffo

Standup Guy

Geoffo Avatar

Career:176-119
Chips:
Wait wait... So Anderson Silva is surprised that Munoz asked for a title fight and is offended? You can still fight a friend... This is getting ridiculous.
Anderson Silva is crying over everything, watch him get in Munoz's face at the weigh ins like he hates him then after they fight, Silva will bow and shit.

I'm not bashing Silva, just this is overreacting. Like they're in the same division. What does he expect Munoz to do?

Post #15   11/8/11 11:33:45PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2