Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Changing the Hot Bout

Print  
  Page 1 of 3     1     2     3  
Posted By Message

TheDiazDictionary

Learning to Sprawl

TheDiazDictionary Avatar

Career:725-495
Camp: Kongos Jungle Buddies
Chips:
I really think we need to look at how the Hot Bout is picked. I think the Hot Bout fight should always be a main card fight. It should always be permanent and not changed at the last second. If you look right now the Hot Bout for the Fox card is Matt Lucas vs Aaron Rosa. Seriously? That is a joke of a HB, how is it not Cain vs JDS? I know the mods say its whatever is closet to 50/50, but we really need to change this. some people will spend a good time researching the HB trying to figure out who to pick, but then after the weigh ins more people make their picks and it switches. I really hope people are behind this and the mods can make some changes and not just say "It's in the system sorry"

Post #1   11/7/11 12:57:17PM   

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Career:2,255-1,187
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by TheDiazDictionary

I really think we need to look at how the Hot Bout is picked. I think the Hot Bout fight should always be a main card fight. It should always be permanent and not changed at the last second. If you look right now the Hot Bout for the Fox card is Matt Lucas vs Aaron Rosa. Seriously? That is a joke of a HB, how is it not Cain vs JDS? I know the mods say its whatever is closet to 50/50, but we really need to change this. some people will spend a good time researching the HB trying to figure out who to pick, but then after the weigh ins more people make their picks and it switches. I really hope people are behind this and the mods can make some changes and not just say "It's in the system sorry"

Currently, "the system" *is* the issue. The way the game is setup right now is that the "Hot Bout" is the closest bout in terms of picks. It's automated. We do not manually select it.

Concerns have been voiced and, rest assured, we've discussed changing the way it's selected. If/when it changes, everyone will be notified.

These suggestions aren't falling on deaf ears. We promise!

Last edited 11/7/11 1:01PM server time by emfleek
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #2   11/7/11 1:00:56PM   

Poor_Franklin

Slight Reach Advantage

Poor_Franklin Avatar

Career:1,424-810
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
i agree, but if the closest main card fight is larger 55/45, then i dont want it.

UFC 151: Never Forget

Post #3   11/7/11 2:04:38PM   

Twenty20Dollars

Heavyweight Champ

Career:1,572-1,001
Chips:
Keep it how it is.

I mean, who would get to decide what the hot bout is?

The users decide it by who they pick and whichever is closest to 50/50. Seems fair to me.

Also this is coming from someone who rarely gets the hot bout correct.

Last edited 11/7/11 2:09PM server time by twenty20dollars

Post #4   11/7/11 2:09:06PM   

Roy_nelsons_belly_lint

Learning to Sprawl

Roy_nelsons_belly_lint Avatar

Career:746-498
Chips:
hot bouts should have some meaning behind them. how much does it suck that you cant even watch the hot bout most times. I think maybe the headliner of spike fights would work, but since spike is leaving, make it the closest 50/50 bout on the main card. I am glad the mods are taking note of this, and for anyone who wants to leave it the way it is, how does it really change anything if the hot bout moves from 2 journey men in rosa vs lucas to say llamas vs swanson. You still have a hot bout and now u get to watch it on tv. This would be all good and dandy if it were a ppv. But on 139 as of right meow the hot bout is wandy vs cung le and that is a sweet hot bout. as much as I like filthy tom lawlor I hope his fight with weidman doesn't get the votes to move to the hot bout spot.

and I know the big response will be "your a newb and find out who these guys are or go back to watching wwf". thats not the point, I am not amped up to watch these 2 low low low level guys ruin my points.

thanks mods for looking out

Post #5   11/7/11 3:38:33PM   

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Roy_nelsons_belly_lint

and I know the big response will be "your a newb and find out who these guys are or go back to watching wwf". thats not the point, I am not amped up to watch these 2 low low low level guys ruin my points.

I assure you that you will not get that response here. I'd hope our members are better than that.

Post #6   11/7/11 3:41:13PM   

Twenty20Dollars

Heavyweight Champ

Career:1,572-1,001
Chips:
The UFC has made it to where you can watch every fight now.

What if the main card fights aren't that close to 50/50, what if they are mostly 60/40, 70/30?

Then once again, who would get to make the final decision on the hot bout? It would be picked and some people wouldn't want that as the hot bout.

I think it would lose the meaning of hot bout, if we started picking the hot bout and it not be the closest bout in pick percentage to 50/50.

Plus it makes you have to learn more about the unknown fighters or not the big name stars.

It's part of the game. I don't want it to become easy where everyone is going to get the hot bout right.

Post #7   11/7/11 4:21:49PM   

Budgellism

Raptors Fan

Budgellism Avatar

Career:2,716-1,550
Chips:

Posted by emfleek

Posted by Roy_nelsons_belly_lint

I assure you that you will not get that response here. I'd hope our members are better than that.

He must be coming from Sherdog. It's okay, you're safe now.

Post #8   11/7/11 4:39:53PM   

Rabi

Heavyweight Champ

Rabi Avatar

Career:1,878-1,108
Camp: MMA Worldwide
Chips:
I personally hope, they dont change how the HB is picked, and like twentydollars said, you can watch every fight now live somewhere (either TV or Net).

Plus, we have Franklinfan who up until UFC 137 had got 5 hot bouts bang on in a row!

Post #9   11/7/11 5:45:46PM   

kopower

Heavyweight Champ

kopower Avatar

Career:2,225-1,198
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
I think its fine now. I mean is someones pick gonna change based on the hot bout? The one thing I don't like is when it changes last minute. Thinking you nailed the hot bout, only to find out it switched and your 22 points are gone can be frustrating.

What you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in the playground is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no props, and may the mods have mercy on your soul.

Post #10   11/7/11 6:18:04PM   

shaneTpain

Av Bet Record: 34-44

shaneTpain Avatar

Career:1,363-876
Chips:

Posted by Twenty20Dollars

Keep it how it is.

I mean, who would get to decide what the hot bout is?

The users decide it by who they pick and whichever is closest to 50/50. Seems fair to me.

Also this is coming from someone who rarely gets the hot bout correct.

Post #11   11/7/11 6:37:55PM   

Shawn91111

The MMAPlayground's Co-Creator

Shawn91111 Avatar

Career:2,606-1,363
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
Most of the time the main event is one of the easiest fights to predict on the card. Who gives a shit if the hot bout has meaning in how its presented (ie, #1 contender, title fight etc). If its a tough fight to predict and its 50/50 on the playground then that should be the hot bout. Keep it how it is and has been.

But I will add that it should be locked as the hot bout a few days before the event instead of switching last minute, as some camps spend weeks discussing the closest fights and what surely is going to be the hot bout only for it to change.

Last edited 11/7/11 6:45PM server time by shawn91111

Post #12   11/7/11 6:43:32PM   

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Shawn91111

But I will add that it should be locked as the hot bout a few days before the event instead of switching last minute, as some camps spend weeks discussing the closest fights and what surely is going to be the hot bout only for it to change.

I would agree with this. Maybe lock it in at the 72 hour mark or something.

Post #13   11/7/11 7:37:15PM   

Roy_nelsons_belly_lint

Learning to Sprawl

Chips:
ok what you just stated totally conflicts with itself. you want the hot bout system to stay the same, BUT have it locked at a certain point. What if 1000 people didnt vote yet. then the hot bout would have changed. and 72 hours before the card is way too early. what if a fighter misses weight or looks like he is gonna fall off the scale. I would just like to see some worthy fights have the hot bout title.

Last edited 11/7/11 8:00PM server time by Roy_nelsons_belly_lint

Post #14   11/7/11 7:57:32PM   

Roy_nelsons_belly_lint

Learning to Sprawl

Chips:
you say we have to do research on the fighters, listen dude if you didnt have sherdog fight finder you would have no idea who 90% of the undercard fighters are or who they faught previously. you know and can EASILY follow main card fighters. I never said make the hot bout the main event every time. Just make it a some what important bout. Like I said the closest 50/50 on the ppv main card

Post #15   11/7/11 7:59:34PM   

Page 1 of 3     1     2     3