Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

UFC on Fox: Clay Guida Wants Title Shot After Ben Henderson Bout

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

Budgellism

Raptors Fan

Budgellism Avatar

Career:2,716-1,550
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
Clay Guida may be getting shafted a bit by it being made clear that his fight with Ben Henderson is not going to make the Fox TV broadcast no matter how quickly the bout between Cain Velasquez and Junior dos Santos ends, but that isn't keeping him down. Guida knows that the Henderson fight is a huge moment in his career and he seems ready to pounce.

LINK

Post #1   11/7/11 11:43:11AM   

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Career:2,255-1,187
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
If you want a title shot coming off a loss, you'll have to move over to Strikeforce, Clay.

Post #2   11/7/11 11:49:48AM   

Budgellism

Raptors Fan

Budgellism Avatar

Chips:

Posted by emfleek

If you want a title shot coming off a loss, you'll have to move over to Strikeforce, Clay.

This.

Post #3   11/7/11 11:51:17AM   

KungFuMaster

Heavyweight Champ

KungFuMaster Avatar

Career:423-341
Camp: The Lone Ranger(s)
Chips:
I love Guida and I would love to see him get his dues but Ben Henderson is such a bad match up for him. I would give the wrestling edge to Guida due to his size and strength but Henderson is just better at everything else and he should be able to stop some, if not all, of Guida's take downs.

Post #4   11/7/11 11:51:56AM   

Budgellism

Raptors Fan

Budgellism Avatar

Chips:

Posted by KungFuMaster

I love Guida and I would love to see him get his dues but Ben Henderson is such a bad match up for him. I would give the wrestling edge to Guida due to his size and strength but Henderson is just better at everything else and he should be able to stop some, if not all, of Guida's take downs.

I wouldn't even give him the wrestling advantage tbh. Look at those tree trunks Bendo calls his legs. His TDD is going to be way too much for Guida's offensive wrestling. And then you add the risk of his best submission, the guillotine choke and you've got yourself a Guida loss. Bendo has a very interesting future at 155.

Post #5   11/7/11 11:55:48AM   

Twenty20Dollars

Heavyweight Champ

Career:1,572-1,001
Chips:
Winner of this should get a title shot. But this winner of this is probably going to have to wait, b/c Melendez will come over from SF to get the shot, IF he beats Masvidal.

A lot of waiting for contenders.

Post #6   11/7/11 12:01:42PM   

KungFuMaster

Heavyweight Champ

KungFuMaster Avatar

Career:423-341
Camp: The Lone Ranger(s)
Chips:

Posted by Budgellism

Posted by KungFuMaster

I wouldn't even give him the wrestling advantage tbh. Look at those tree trunks Bendo calls his legs. His TDD is going to be way too much for Guida's offensive wrestling. And then you add the risk of his best submission, the guillotine choke and you've got yourself a Guida loss. Bendo has a very interesting future at 155.

I wouldn't say it would be an easy match for Henderson. Guida will make it difficult for anyone with his style. Guida can be outclassed and out-striked, but he will still bring the tenacity which some fighters have fallen victim to...

I think this fight will be closer than it looks on paper.

Post #7   11/7/11 12:05:19PM   

Budgellism

Raptors Fan

Budgellism Avatar

Chips:

Posted by KungFuMaster

Posted by Budgellism

Posted by KungFuMaster

I wouldn't say it would be an easy match for Henderson. Guida will make it difficult for anyone with his style. Guida can be outclassed and out-striked, but he will still bring the tenacity which some fighters have fallen victim to...

I think this fight will be closer than it looks on paper.

I wouldn't say easy either because Guida is obviously an experienced gamer with skills in all areas. However, I do think Bendo is better in every area of the game than Guida is and that's hard to ignore. This fight just seems tailor made for Bendo in my eyes. I've been wrong many times before but this is one of those fights I'd bet the house on.

Post #8   11/7/11 12:14:10PM   

FastKnockout

THE RUTHLESS ONE

FastKnockout Avatar

Career:1,665-930
Chips:
If he manages to beat Bendo, then yeah, he's next IMO.

Post #9   11/7/11 12:15:33PM   

Travesty145

MMA Regular

Travesty145 Avatar

Career:675-411
Chips:
whoever wins this fight gets the shot if u ask me

Post #10   11/7/11 2:41:32PM   

FlashyG

Heavyweight Champ

FlashyG Avatar

Career:2,177-1,222
Chips:
I know MMA math is useless, but I thought Pettis looked like a better wrestler in there against Henderson than he did against Guida.

Guida took him down at will, I don't think Henderson is as easy to take down, but I don't think he's as dangerous on his back as Pettis either.

I think this will be a close fight.

Post #11   11/7/11 2:49:10PM   

isk

In Full Mount

isk Avatar

Career:-
Chips:
I think Henderson is going to maul Guida starting in the second round and either pound him to dust or line up a dominant UD.

Guida excels against guys who lack TDD, either because they mistime their strikes or they have too much faith in their BJJ. That said, I'm reasonably confident Henderson knows what Guida's gameplan is likely to be and I think he's too smart and well-trained to not prepare for that.

Don't get me wrong, I love both fighters, and I might be riding the Bendo-wagon a bit hard after the Miller fight, but Henderson has looked monstrous at LW since the flip to the UFC. I'll never completely count Guida out due to his heart and his camp, but I think Henderson is too big, too athletic, and too superior of a wrestler to lose to the Carpenter.

Post #12   11/7/11 2:59:22PM   

Bubbles

Come at me bro

Bubbles Avatar

Career:1,120-670
Chips:
i wish this was a 5 round fight

im rooting for Guida, but ill probably pick Bendo via UD. Guida should get a title shot if he beats Bendo, then have Melendez fight someone like Cerrone (if he wins at 141).

Men be careful, female sexual predators are using a date rape drug called a Blowjob to trap men into scams called relationships.

Post #13   11/7/11 3:02:01PM   

Geoffo

Standup Guy

Geoffo Avatar

Career:176-119
Chips:
If he beats Henderson decisively, i say give him the title shot (after Melendez)

Post #14   11/7/11 3:11:47PM   

Theoutlaw08

MMA Sensei

Theoutlaw08 Avatar

Career:771-549
Chips:
I think who ever wins this fight should get the next shot, unless they are both hurt badly.

Post #15   11/7/11 3:15:43PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2