Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Koscheck Signs Contract To Fight GSP At UFC 74

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

zephead

The Dancer

zephead Avatar

Career:541-400
Camp: Ground'N'Pound
Chips:
Well as of now, it looking like Kos is set to be fighting in AUG at UFC 74 and it's looking like we will be taking on Georges St. Pierre.

LINK

"To me the records were just a starting point," recalls John Paul Jones, "The most important thing was always the stage show. So many great nights. At our worst we were still better than most. At our best we could just wipe the floor with the lot of them. It was just a very good live band."

Post #1   5/12/07 5:17:42PM   

bayonetxwork

In Full Mount

bayonetxwork Avatar

Career:114-60
Camp: TUFFS Fight Club
Chips:
This could easily turn into another "upset." Quoted because IMO, I think Kos should be favored coming into this fight. Due to the lack of him taking "risks" he could easily, and i mean easily, steal the fight by laying on GSP.

Post #2   5/12/07 5:33:17PM   

zephead

The Dancer

zephead Avatar

Career:541-400
Camp: Ground'N'Pound
Chips:
Hughes couldn't take GSP down, do you think KOs could?

"To me the records were just a starting point," recalls John Paul Jones, "The most important thing was always the stage show. So many great nights. At our worst we were still better than most. At our best we could just wipe the floor with the lot of them. It was just a very good live band."

Post #3   5/12/07 5:34:49PM   

meier

Standup Guy

meier Avatar

Career:453-438
Chips:
i hope kos gets knocked out in the first 10 seconds. no wait... make that the first 5 seconds in the first round.

Post #4   5/12/07 5:35:19PM   

aznteabagger

In Full Mount

aznteabagger Avatar

Career:618-368
Chips:
gspz got this

Post #5   5/12/07 5:50:08PM   

Lord_Lenny

In Full Mount

Career:1,283-847
Camp: Broderskapet
Chips:
Joe Rogan said that Koschek's wrestling skills are better than matt hughes during his fight with Jeff Joslin, and after watching some of his take downs i would agree. He shoots with a lot of confidence and intensity. I dont know what he will do once he's on the ground, he's not an expert at submissions, as far as iv seen his GnP isn't spectacular. Overall GSP is on a whole other level.

But I am done counting out the seemingly weaker fighter this year, and dont know what quite to expect

Post #6   5/12/07 8:11:47PM   

Gladiator

In Full Mount

Gladiator Avatar

Career:896-523
Chips:

Posted by zephead

Hughes couldn't take GSP down, do you think KOs could?

yes, hughes isnt as good a wrestler as koscheck and he only tried to take GSP down from the clinch. i got gsp to win this but koscheck does have that lay'n'pray chance.

Post #7   5/12/07 8:23:56PM   

shackle

Standup Guy

shackle Avatar

Career:152-97
Chips:
I'm willing to put a little on KOS winning Just send the bets when it's listed.

GSP to me seems a bit overrated. (at least with some aspects of his game) I think his time is up. I'm sure KOS has as much power in his hands as serra. I don't think GSP can take a hard punch.( don't say the penn fight cause penn isn't known to have KO power he more known for crisp nice strikes)

I mean seriously who has GSP fought ever with some good punching power (or hit him with alot of power). Sherk, trigg, and matt all are known for having crappy standup. Kos isn't that great, but I think he has power looping punches similar to what Serra has, and if one hits right it will have the same effect. (keep in mind KOS is alot bigger then serra too) GSP will have 2 things to worry about ... just like with serra. (takedowns/power punches)

GSP is a great fighter I just feel like he is a tad bit overrated. I honestly like GSP more then KOS, but I think KOS will take it. The reason I feel this way is cause I don't think the serra fight was a fluke, and I think it will happen again.

GSP run to the greatest will end this year.

.... getting ready for tons of flames... hehe

Last edited 5/12/07 11:32PM server time by shackle
Edit note/reason: n/a
5 total post edits

Post #8   5/12/07 10:49:27PM   

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Career:3,003-1,643
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
I think Kos might take this...and it's not because I think GSP is overrated. He's a better all around fighter than Kos, but I don't think GSP can stop his take down. Now, whatever happens on the ground will most likely determine who wins. If Kos has a decent submission defense, I feel he can pull it off.

And yes, Koscheck's wrestling is better than Hughes'.

Post #9   5/12/07 11:20:07PM   

Rush

Laying down the beats

Rush Avatar

Career:759-539
Chips:

Posted by grappler0000

Even if that is the case, he's not near as strong.

I watched the Joslin-Koscheck fight again last night and Joslin impressed me more than Koscheck. Josh had nothing for stand-up in that fight. I don't think Joslin is near as strong as GSP.

I still have not seen the Kos-Diego fight yet, so I don't have a up-to-date assessment of Koscheck's performance.

Regardless of how this fight goes, I'm sticking with my guy.

Post #10   5/13/07 12:21:28AM   

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Career:3,003-1,643
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by Rush

I still have not seen the Kos-Diego fight yet, so I don't have a up-to-date assessment of Koscheck's performance.

Well, he improved enough with his standup game to beat Diego, but I don't anticipate it being an issue for GSP. Not much else was revealed about Josh's current ability.

Posted by Rush

Don't get me wrong...I would prefer to see GSP win...and he is the better all around fighter. He just has to get around Koscheck's superior wrestling to do so. Another factor is confidence. Based on both of their last matches, I give the upper hand to Kos there as well.

At the end of the day, it's a tough call, but it should be much closer than GSP/Hughes 2.

Post #11   5/13/07 7:22:06AM   

keith-hackney1

Belt Contender

keith-hackney1 Avatar

Career:274-221
Chips:
kos couldnt finish a pathetic excuse of an underfeated fighter by way of diego sanchez, he had to muscle his way way to a boring decision victory that he didnt even want, he aint ready to beat GSP.

Post #12   5/13/07 8:40:02AM   

fightdavejordan

MMA Regular

fightdavejordan Avatar

Career:208-139
Camp: Minford manglas
Chips:
GSP is going to bet the friken piss out of kos cause he is a pussy.
Hughes could not bet gsp kos is a bigger than huges

Post #13   5/13/07 11:46:41AM   

bayonetxwork

In Full Mount

bayonetxwork Avatar

Career:114-60
Camp: TUFFS Fight Club
Chips:

Posted by Rush

Posted by grappler0000

Even if that is the case, he's not near as strong.

I watched the Joslin-Koscheck fight again last night and Joslin impressed me more than Koscheck. Josh had nothing for stand-up in that fight. I don't think Joslin is near as strong as GSP.

With Kos' wrestling, you don't need to be strong. If you can shoot with as much speed and technique as he does, my 10 year old brother could take someone down. And yes, Kos' wrestling is much better than Hughes.

Post #14   5/13/07 12:50:20PM   

JBatch

In Full Mount

JBatch Avatar

Career:779-491
Camp: Triumph
Chips:
To whoever said GSP is overrated, you my frind are not thinking straight. GSP has faced possibly the stiffest competition in consecutive bouts ever. When most guys get fed a can or two GSP has never faced a easy competion unless you call the 12-3 Jay Hieron an easy fight.

fights in order

Karo Parisyan 16-4 #7 WW in the world
Jay Hieron 12-3 --NA--
Matt Hughes 41-5 #3 WW in the world
Jason Miller 19-5
Frank Trigg 15-6 #10 MW in the world
Sean Sherk 31-2-1 #10 LW in the world
BJ Penn 10-4-1 #5 WW in the world
Matt Hughes 41-5 #3 WW in the world
Matt Serra 9-4 #1 WW in the world

*Rankings from mmaweekly.com

What I think will happen is GSP is going to come into this figth with a renewed fire and is going to lay a solid beating on Kos. GSP via decision. And when this fight comes up I will bet you big $$ on it.

Post #15   5/13/07 1:39:19PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2