Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

UFC 137: Penn vs. Diaz Scorecards

Print  
Posted By Message

Bubbles

Come at me bro

Bubbles Avatar

Career:1,120-670
Chips:
- Diaz got a 10-8 round
- Cro Cop/Nelson was even going into the 3rd round
- Mitrione/Kongo actually got a 10-10 round

scorecards

Men be careful, female sexual predators are using a date rape drug called a Blowjob to trap men into scams called relationships.

Post #1   11/2/11 12:10:05AM   

prophecy033

REBEL WITH A CAUSE

prophecy033 Avatar

Career:2,037-1,201
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
I'm surprised to see a 10-10 round

Post #2   11/2/11 1:56:46AM   

bojangalz

The Original Playground Bully

bojangalz Avatar

Career:1,553-840
Chips:

Posted by prophecy033

Surprised, yes. Relieved also. But we haven't come that far, because only one judge actually got it right.

Only one one judge got R2 of Penn/Diaz right also. I don't understand how anyone can see that round as 10-9.

Marshall should have got a 10-8 in R3 against Vera too. He floored him, nearly snapped his arm on the mat, and dominated the exchanges.

Seeing a 10-10 on one card may be progress, but we've got a long, long way to go.

Last edited 11/2/11 7:08AM server time by bojangalz
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #3   11/2/11 7:07:37AM   

pmoney

P$ Pimpin'

pmoney Avatar

Career:1,522-929
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by bojangalz

Posted by prophecy033

Surprised, yes. Relieved also. But we haven't come that far, because only one judge actually got it right.

Only one one judge got R2 of Penn/Diaz right also. I don't understand how anyone can see that round as 10-9.

Marshall should have got a 10-8 in R3 against Vera too. He floored him, nearly snapped his arm on the mat, and dominated the exchanges.

Seeing a 10-10 on one card may be progress, but we've got a long, long way to go.

Amen brother. This sport is still in it's infancy when compared to say MLB, which has records from the 1800's, so we still have a ways to develop. Hopefully this well documented 10-10 round will set a precedent. Perhaps then more judges will see it as a valid way to score a round and utilize it when it is appropriate.

I think the Penn-Diaz fight raises some interesting scoring issues in itself. How do you score a round where one fighter is taunting another by intentionally headbutting his opponent's arm strikes? I mean, he obviously won those rounds and was just doing that to either mock BJ or mess with his head, but are rounds two or three 10-8 worthy? What about round one? Potential 10-10?

Post #4   11/2/11 7:37:52AM   

airkerma

KE Released in MAtter

airkerma Avatar

Career:1,048-608
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:

Posted by prophecy033

me too, by the quality of that round it should have been 8-8 round

Post #5   11/2/11 7:51:31AM   

titlefight

Learning to Sprawl

titlefight Avatar

Career:1,459-857
Camp: War Room Warriors
Chips:

Posted by bojangalz

Posted by prophecy033

The 10-10 is great imo. But 10-8's are just to hard to come back from in a 3 round fight. If you want a 10-8 in MMA you better almost kill the guy. Like Fitch vs. BJ round 3 or Maynard vs. Frankie round 1.

10-8's are meant for boxing where you have 10 0r 11 more rounds to come back from it.

Post #6   11/2/11 2:05:56PM   

bojangalz

The Original Playground Bully

bojangalz Avatar

Career:1,553-840
Chips:

Posted by titlefight

The 10-10 is great imo. But 10-8's are just to hard to come back from in a 3 round fight. If you want a 10-8 in MMA you better almost kill the guy. Like Fitch vs. BJ round 3 or Maynard vs. Frankie round 1.

10-8's are meant for boxing where you have 10 0r 11 more rounds to come back from it.

I cannot begin to express the fit of rage that this sort of statement puts me in. I'm going to do my best not to flame too hard, but you're way off base here. This isn't a matter of personal opinion either, it's a simple matter of what the rules say. So many people get hung up on the idea that you need to nearly finish a fight to get a 10-8 or 10-7 round. That's simply not the case.

1. A round is to be scored as a 10-10 Round when both contestants appear to be fighting evenly and neither contestant shows clear dominance in a round;

2. A round is to be scored as a 10-9 Round when a contestant wins by a close margin, landing the greater number of effective legal strikes, grappling and other maneuvers;

3. A round is to be scored as a 10-8 Round when a contestant overwhelmingly dominates by striking or grappling in a round.

4. A round is to be scored as a 10-7 Round when a contestant totally dominates by striking or grappling in a round.

It doesn't say anything about needing to be near a finish to score better than a 10-9. A perfect example of a 10-8 round where there wasn't a near finish is R3 of Griffin/Ortiz II. Forrest wasn't exactly putting Tito away in that round, but he landed anything and everything he threw. And Tito on the other hand landed practically nothing at all. No one scored it accordingly, which is a shame. But that's a perfect example of a "overwhelmingly dominating striking or grappling"; regardless of how close the fight was to being stopped.

R1 of Maynard vs Edgar II was a 10-7 without question. They don't come along often, but that's a great example of what they look like.
R1 of Maynard vs Edgar III was a clear cut 10-8.
R2 of Diaz vs Penn was clearly 10-8 as well.

And to say that 10-8's should be reserved for boxing because the fighter has 10 rounds to come back from the short end of a 10-8 score???? What the hell is that?! Here's a thought, if you don't want to come back from a 10-8 round try not getting your ass beat to that point. Ridiculous. Completely ridiculous.

Post #7   11/2/11 9:52:40PM