Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Manager: Demian Maia Wants to Fight Jake Shields at 185

Print  
  Page 2 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

Bubbles

Come at me bro

Bubbles Avatar

Career:1,120-670
Chips:

Posted by gartface

I think this is a bad match up for Shields. Maia is getting pretty good standing, and he would handle Shields on the ground.

Shields on top isn't and ideal position for anybody. with a wrestling background, Maia isnt taking Shields down...it will be the opposite.

now the only real question: is Shield's top game better than Maia's bottom game to win a decision?

Men be careful, female sexual predators are using a date rape drug called a Blowjob to trap men into scams called relationships.

Post #16   10/31/11 8:26:43PM   

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Career:1,550-903
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:

Posted by Kpro

I've come to terms that Maia is becoming the ground version of Brandon Vera. At one time we thought they'd both finish all of their opponents with their tenacity and skill in their area of expertise.

Vera finished his first 4 UFC opponents and has finished only 1 in his last 9 fights.
Maia finished his first 5 UFC opponents and has finished zero of his last 7 fights.

In BJJ competitions he's elite; there's no doubt. Others can keep him up on a pedestal in MMA, but to me he loses to anyone with good wrestling and submission defense. I'm glad to see that he's working hard on his stand-up though and progressing at a fast rate as it gives him a new dynamic and he's fun to watch regardless of a lack of killer instinct.

Thats ludicrous.

The only fight Maia has had that even remotely resembles your prediction is vs Munoz. He actually did very well in the wrestling and probably won both the grappling and striking exchanges. You could make an argument for him winning that fight.

The other top wrestler he fought, Chael Sonnen, got thrown through the air and submitted upon landing. Say what you will about Sonnen's sub defense, but how many people have we seen ragdoll him?

Post #17   11/1/11 3:11:36AM   

Kpro

I STAB WATERBEDS!

Kpro Avatar

Career:2,518-1,294
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by bjj1605

Posted by Kpro

I've come to terms that Maia is becoming the ground version of Brandon Vera. At one time we thought they'd both finish all of their opponents with their tenacity and skill in their area of expertise.

Vera finished his first 4 UFC opponents and has finished only 1 in his last 9 fights.
Maia finished his first 5 UFC opponents and has finished zero of his last 7 fights.

In BJJ competitions he's elite; there's no doubt. Others can keep him up on a pedestal in MMA, but to me he loses to anyone with good wrestling and submission defense. I'm glad to see that he's working hard on his stand-up though and progressing at a fast rate as it gives him a new dynamic and he's fun to watch regardless of a lack of killer instinct.

Thats ludicrous.

The only fight Maia has had that even remotely resembles your prediction is vs Munoz. He actually did very well in the wrestling and probably won both the grappling and striking exchanges. You could make an argument for him winning that fight.

The other top wrestler he fought, Chael Sonnen, got thrown through the air and submitted upon landing. Say what you will about Sonnen's sub defense, but how many people have we seen ragdoll him?

Sonnen hasn't shown good submission defense, which has been very well documented. 8 submission losses in his career probably puts him at the top among fighters who have been considered the top contender at any weight class at any point in MMA history. Shields has never been submitted and Maia couldn't submit Grove or Miranda. I know you jump in on many BJJ-related posts, so I'm curious to see what you think is ludicrous of anything I said? I'm assuming it's because I stated the fight facts along with things I've discerned that many are thinking... considering the multiple props from the post. I'll have a discussion on facts with you, but if we're going to discuss and refute each others opinions, there's no need.

Last edited 11/1/11 4:22AM server time by Kpro
Edit note/reason: n/a
3 total post edits

Post #18   11/1/11 3:48:03AM   

Page 2 of 2     1     2