Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

UFC boss complimentary of 'Cro Cop,' uncertain if Penn's retirement will stick

Print  
Posted By Message

Budgellism

Randy

Budgellism Avatar

Career:2,900-1,652
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
Saturday night's UFC 137 event may very well have marked the final fights in the careers of two MMA legends.

That said, UFC president Dana White isn't 100 percent certain both Mirko "Cro Cop" Filipovic (27-10-2 MMA, 4-6 UFC) and B.J. Penn (16-8-2 MMA, 12-7-2 UFC) have entered the cage for the final time.

"B.J. is a warrior," White said. "What happened to him tonight has never happened to him in his entire career. What he's thinking tonight he might not think eight weeks from now."

A battered Penn told UFC broadcaster Joe Rogan he was done fighting after being demolished in the final two rounds of his main-event contest with Nick Diaz at Las Vegas' Mandalay Bay Events Center. A CompuStrike report pegged the final striking tally at 239-76 in Diaz's favor, and while his right eye bore the marks of a war, it paled in comparison to the damage on Penn's face.

White admitted he didn't speak to Penn following the fight, but he's not completely convinced that at just 32 years old, "The Prodigy" is done competing.

"They took B.J. right to the hospital," White told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com). "Who knows. It might be or it might not be (Penn's last fight). That's up to him. I don't know."

LINK

Post #1   10/30/11 12:12:34PM   

tallica62

MMA Sensei

tallica62 Avatar

Career:2,022-1,244
Camp: Playground Bullies
Chips:
pshhhh hes not done

Post #2   10/30/11 5:55:10PM   

Kpro

I STAB WATERBEDS!

Kpro Avatar

Career:2,573-1,315
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
He's stuck in a spot where he's 0-2 against the champs of both weight classes he fights in. He'd need at least two wins to get back into title contention if he stayed active but if you retire and the fans clamor for a return, he could find himself in a #1 contender fight next year if Edgar or GSP lose their belts.

Penn's got a lot of fight left in him and I'd pay to see him fight again. He's a threat to anyone at LW or WW. One thing that sticks out to me though is combining Penn's last 12 rounds in the Octagon he's been outlanded 3 to 1, not just the 3 rounder against Diaz.

Post #3   10/30/11 6:09:58PM   

prophecy033

REBEL WITH A CAUSE

prophecy033 Avatar

Career:2,062-1,210
Chips:
I don't think Penn is done for life but I do think he will take some time off, re-assess his situation and come back with some fire in his eyes. I wouldn't rule out Dana making him another offer he couldn't refuse to fight Condit like originally planned. I still wanna see that fight for selfish reasons

Post #4   10/30/11 6:17:31PM   

Shawn91111

The MMAPlayground's Co-Creator

Shawn91111 Avatar

Career:2,781-1,448
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
Penn is the Rich Franklin of the lighter weight classes right now.

Post #5   10/30/11 7:08:24PM   

quezocrema0032

Belt Contender

quezocrema0032 Avatar

Career:2,007-1,070
Chips:

Posted by Shawn91111

Penn is the Rich Franklin of the lighter weight classes right now.

Except much more of a legend.

Post #6   10/30/11 9:23:39PM   

tcunningham

Combat Sport and Fitness

tcunningham Avatar

Career:519-361
Chips:
there are alot of intersting fights left for BJ in the LW division, however, there are a few guys in the LW division that would beat BJ and i dont think he can live with just being a gatekeeper. if you aint 1st your last right? if penn chooses to retire i can respect that

Post #7   10/30/11 11:53:57PM   

ianinspain

MMA Regular

ianinspain Avatar

Career:754-517
Chips:
I think we saw Penns heart and desire go against Diaz and he just looked like he did not want it anymore which is hardly a fighting spirit. Penn has always been a warrior but when he feels like he has been beaten his personna changes. The same happened against GSP when you could almost hear him go 'oh no not another take down - I can not be arsed with this'. The way he was runnign away against Diaz showed the same. Do not get the wrong he was being peppered with body and head but where were the takedown attempts that surely he could have atleast tried?

If your heart has gone BJ then hang them up

Post #8   10/31/11 8:19:29AM   

airkerma

KE Released in MAtter

airkerma Avatar

Career:1,067-623
Chips:

Posted by ianinspain

I think we saw Penns heart and desire go against Diaz and he just looked like he did not want it anymore which is hardly a fighting spirit. Penn has always been a warrior but when he feels like he has been beaten his personna changes. The same happened against GSP when you could almost hear him go 'oh no not another take down - I can not be arsed with this'. The way he was runnign away against Diaz showed the same. Do not get the wrong he was being peppered with body and head but where were the takedown attempts that surely he could have atleast tried?

He attempted 4 take downs and Diaz stuffed 3 of them.

Post #9   10/31/11 10:38:02AM   

quezocrema0032

Belt Contender

quezocrema0032 Avatar

Career:2,007-1,070
Chips:

Posted by ianinspain

While I agree the fight served as notice for BJ to realize he can no longer be a champ again in the sport, I don't think his heart should be questioned. I honestly like Dana believed he wasn't coming out for the 3rd round after that brutal 2nd. He did come out and stood in the pocket connected a few times but never raised the white flag. Yes Diaz clearly won the round, but Bj's heart really showed Imo and I'm sure some agree with me. As A die hard Penn fan I thought it wasn't a bad end to a career because he displayed the heart that wasn't present in other bouts (Gsp 2 mostly). He made it to bell and never quit, or get finished and never even got dropped. Hats off to Diaz but Penn showed that a champions heart can never be doubted.

Post #10   10/31/11 12:38:10PM   

mrsmiley

Heavyweight Champ

mrsmiley Avatar

Career:1,518-886
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:
I think BJ will be back but I don't think Crocop will nor should he get back in the cage. He had a few brief moments against Big Country and he even threw a kick. That's enough for me.
I by no means know what's best for CC,just my personal opinion. The only fight as a fan that interest me with Crocop would be a legends type match up.

Post #11   10/31/11 2:52:26PM   

Bubbles

Come at me bro

Bubbles Avatar

Career:1,120-670
Chips:
honestly, even as a Penn hater, he shouldnt retire yet. take some time off and go back to LW. he is better suited there and is able to win the title again as long as Edgar isnt at the top. Penn can beat Maynard, Guida, and Guillard. Bendo and Guillard might be tough tests, as is Melendez.

Men be careful, female sexual predators are using a date rape drug called a Blowjob to trap men into scams called relationships.

Post #12   10/31/11 6:07:34PM