Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

With UFC 137 main event looming, Nick Diaz laments choice not to box

Print  
Posted By Message

Budgellism

Randy

Budgellism Avatar

Career:3,026-1,730
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
Nick Diaz (25-7 MMA, 6-4 UFC) now says he regrets his decision to pass up a boxing contract for a return to the UFC.

Three days before his UFC 137 headliner opposite B.J. Penn (16-7-2 MMA, 12-6-2 UFC), Diaz said a trip to the square circle would have benefitted him more in the long term than the continuation of his MMA career.

"If I had my chance to do it over again, I would have gone back to the boxing contract," the former Strikeforce champion said today.

LINK

Post #1   10/26/11 7:25:08PM   

RJPala

Learning to Sprawl

RJPala Avatar

Career:43-18
Chips:
Dana won't like hearing this from his fighter who is about to main event a major pay-per-view. I love to watch Nick Diaz fight and his attitude is what makes him the attraction he is, but sometimes you just want to say shut the fuck up because the stuff he says and does can affect us getting to see him fight (See: GSP/Diaz).

Post #2   10/26/11 8:16:36PM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:2,660-1,415
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
Diaz needs to be focused for penn. Not this boxing crap

Post #3   10/26/11 8:59:58PM   

FlashyG

Heavyweight Champ

FlashyG Avatar

Career:2,477-1,379
Chips:
Nick Diaz is a lot like Sonnen minus the funny. They both don't leave much middle ground for fans, and both seem to say all kinds of things they can't possibly believe.

Him going to boxing would be a disaster for his career. Even if he won a few fights and everything went 100% according to his plan, does he really think the UFC would be trying to market around him upon his return?

I think they'd be more likely to set him up to lose, stealing any hype he might have generated in Boxing before sending him packing again.

In fact after watching how he's acted since re-signing with Zuffa, most boxing promoters probably feel they dodged a bullet having him stick with MMA.

at the irony of a guy calling the UFC too much about the business and not about the fights, and then in the next breath saying you want to move over to boxing.

Post #4   10/26/11 9:19:20PM   

ghandikush

MMA Sensei

ghandikush Avatar

Career:118-71
Chips:

Posted by FlashyG

Nick Diaz is a lot like Sonnen minus the funny. They both don't leave much middle ground for fans, and both seem to say all kinds of things they can't possibly believe.

Him going to boxing would be a disaster for his career. Even if he won a few fights and everything went 100% according to his plan, does he really think the UFC would be trying to market around him upon his return?

I think they'd be more likely to set him up to lose, stealing any hype he might have generated in Boxing before sending him packing again.

In fact after watching how he's acted since re-signing with Zuffa, most boxing promoters probably feel they dodged a bullet having him stick with MMA.

at the irony of a guy calling the UFC too much about the business and not about the fights, and then in the next breath saying you want to move over to boxing.

He wants to compete in boxing, he wouldnt make more money that way ever since he would never be top 10. He will be satified with his deciion though once BJ tears him a third asshole with his much superior technique.

Post #5   10/26/11 9:28:25PM   

40ouncetpkid

MMA Sensei

40ouncetpkid Avatar

Career:289-174
Camp: Octagon Winners
Chips:
I love watching nick fight but even Jeff lacey now after getting schooled by jermain Taylor got his ass beat and stopped by shot Roy Jones Jr and just lost to a journeyman, he'd still whoop diaz ass. It's just two different sports.

Post #6   10/26/11 10:13:29PM   

Chael_Sonnen

Follow.The.Buzzards

Chael_Sonnen Avatar

Career:1,277-785
Chips:
Nick has some of the sloppiest "boxing" in MMA......Little Manny Paq would light Spliff-Diaz up

Post #7   10/26/11 10:53:52PM   

DeadHead988

MMA Sensei

DeadHead988 Avatar

Career:367-289
Camp: Midwest Training Center
Chips:
Every time I read a news article with Nick Diaz, I facepalm. He's an incredibly talented fighter, but his attitude is piss-poor and among the worst in all of MMA. I wouldn't care in the slightest if he retired tomorrow.

Post #8   10/26/11 11:30:12PM   

KungFuMaster

Heavyweight Champ

KungFuMaster Avatar

Career:423-342
Camp: The Lone Ranger(s)
Chips:
Some of these fighters simply do not know how to make money while being in the business. First of all, you don't bash the company who is paying you or going to pay you. And second of all, you don't threaten to leave either. What ever bonuses were in store and or available for you, you can kiss it goodbye after having bash the promoter who will be paying you or going to pay you.

Diaz is not bashing the ufc, but he sure is making it hard for Dana and the ufc to award him extra bonuses.

I noticed this in young workers ( I am guilty of this myself when I was younger )- they tend to bash their own companies. >>>Not a very smart idea if you want to get ahead. Co-workers will talk and someone will stab you and or reveal your feelings to some staff members >>>and there goes your opportunities of advancements.

Post #9   10/27/11 12:02:13AM   

Kpro

I STAB WATERBEDS!

Kpro Avatar

Career:2,663-1,374
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
What's the issue? The boxing contract as stated would've paid him more than his fight with Penn and he wouldn't have to face a former training partner, which Penn is.

Does anyone actually read Diaz articles anymore or just state their opinions on what they imagine the article says? You don't have to like the guy, but at least read the article or it makes you, and not him, look like the guy who has no clue what he's talking about.

Sorry guys, but it's true.

Post #10   10/27/11 2:29:32AM   

FlashyG

Heavyweight Champ

FlashyG Avatar

Career:2,477-1,379
Chips:

Posted by Kpro

What's the issue? The boxing contract as stated would've paid him more than his fight with Penn and he wouldn't have to face a former training partner, which Penn is.

Does anyone actually read Diaz articles anymore or just state their opinions on what they imagine the article says? You don't have to like the guy, but at least read the article or it makes you, and not him, look like the guy who has no clue what he's talking about.

I assume that was addressed to me? (Yes I did read the article)

The issue is that he's battling a perceived problem that he created himself.

Nick didn't miss out by turning down the boxing contract he missed out by not doing his job and skipping the promotional events for the GSP fight. That he regrets his decision to sign the boxing contract but doesn't regret no showing at his title fight press conference, is another issue I have with him. If he skipped a boxing press conference they'd likely go even further than Zuffa did and pull him from the event entirely.

If he had just taken a seat at the press conference and answered a couple questions he wouldn't have taken a pay cut and he'd be getting the fight he's been dreaming of instead of facing a former training partner.

Nick seems like he lives in his own world sometimes, where everything is against him and nothing he has ever done is in the slightest way wrong.

Post #11   10/27/11 11:35:31AM   

ghandikush

MMA Sensei

ghandikush Avatar

Career:118-71
Chips:

Posted by Kpro

No.... His fight with GSP would have generated a lot of income from sponorships and future sponorhips having fought the champ etc

Fighting top 3s in MMA generate more than a boxing contract, including the guarenteed shot at the title.

If he loses in boxing he doesnt get a 200,000 dollar opportunity with The Contender to it on his asss look hard and mumble (bispings current position)

Post #12   10/27/11 5:02:16PM