Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Cesar Gracie Says Gilbert Melendez is UFC-Bound After December Strikeforce Fight

Print  
Posted By Message

Budgellism

Randy

Budgellism Avatar

Career:2,847-1,629
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
Strikeforce lightweight champion Gilbert Melendez has recently been the subject of much speculation regarding how much longer he would remain with that organization. UFC president Dana White recently said that he wanted to bring him over to the UFC, but he was still booked in a title defense against Jorge Masvidal at a Strikeforce event on December 17th in San Diego. Gil's coach Cesar Gracie made it clear to Tatame that he's going to the UFC after that fight though:

"Absolutely it’ll be his last fight (in Strikeforce)", assures the coach, who didn’t have any doubts about Melendez’s situation on the lightweight division of Ultimate, which title holder is Frankie Edgar. "I believe Melendez is the best of the world in this division".

LINK

Post #1   10/26/11 6:57:28PM   

DrivenDavies15

MMA Sensei

DrivenDavies15 Avatar

Career:1,474-834
Chips:
Honestly I think Melendez and his camp are looking past this fight big time! I mean Masvidal is a tough guy and is looking better and better lately and could win if Melendez isn't as focused on this fight. Gonna be interesting to see how this fight plays out.

Post #2   10/26/11 7:08:43PM   

Budgellism

Randy

Budgellism Avatar

Career:2,847-1,629
Chips:

Posted by DrivenDavies15

Honestly I think Melendez and his camp are looking past this fight big time! I mean Masvidal is a tough guy and is looking better and better lately and could win if Melendez isn't as focused on this fight. Gonna be interesting to see how this fight plays out.

I agree. Melendez doesn't seem focused on Masvidal in all honestly. And although I think Gil will still win, he's going to know he was in a fight when it's all said and done.

Post #3   10/26/11 7:12:40PM   

prophecy033

REBEL WITH A CAUSE

prophecy033 Avatar

Career:2,045-1,204
Chips:

Posted by Budgellism

Posted by DrivenDavies15

I agree. Melendez doesn't seem focused on Masvidal in all honestly. And although I think Gil will still win, he's going to know he was in a fight when it's all said and done.

I think he'll focus in and take care of business. He knows he needs to win this fight in order to keep the hype up, especially since he's coming over to the big show. He knows that if he loses this fight, his bargaining for a Edgar fight loses some steam. I'll look for Gilbert to get things done come fight time

Post #4   10/26/11 8:15:03PM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:2,478-1,317
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
I think we all know that.

Edgar has a line on contenders for him

I say henderson vs guida winner next
Than gilbert

I wouldn't be suprised if the ufc goes back to jersey in march for a edgar title match

Post #5   10/26/11 8:56:58PM