Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Winklejohn: GSP's injury maybe a 'blessing in disguise' for Condit

Print  
Posted By Message

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Career:2,363-1,248
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
Carlos Condit was disappointed last week when Georges St. Pierre had to pull out of their UFC 137 welterweight title fight due to a knee injury, but the bout’s postponement could benefit him, according to trainer Mike Winkeljohn.

“Maybe it’s a blessing in disguise,” Winkeljohn told the Sherdog Radio Network’s “Beatdown” show. “We had a game plan. We felt real good with it, but Chris Luttrell and I were talking about some things we’d like to see Carlos do, but we figured it was too late to even try to implement those things because the fight’s coming up and you can only fill your fighter’s head with so much information. In a way, now we can come up with a couple of more things to put us in a couple of better positions for this fight.”

LINK

Post #1   10/24/11 12:35:11PM   

prophecy033

REBEL WITH A CAUSE

prophecy033 Avatar

Career:2,114-1,232
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
The more time he has the better. Now he has time to really breakdown everything GSP does. He won't find many weaknesses but what he will find is GSP's tendencies when he sets up his strikes, kicks, and takedowns. If I was him I'd be eating, sleeping, and shitting gametape of GSP. IDK if that's all gonna come together for a win but the more time he has, the better chance he has

Post #2   10/24/11 12:48:49PM   

kingsmasher

BANNED

Career:258-155
Chips:
Lost cause..>Condit needs to work his takedown defense...also GSP has one of the best jabs in MMA....Condit well not so much...Hes tough as they get but against GSP....Condit couldnt beat Fitch...Prolly Koscheck, Rumble, Or Alves....Diaz and Condit would be an even fight...

Post #3   10/24/11 1:07:05PM   

Budgellism

Randy

Budgellism Avatar

Career:2,983-1,702
Chips:

Posted by kingsmasher

Lost cause..>Condit needs to work his takedown defense...also GSP has one of the best jabs in MMA....Condit well not so much...Hes tough as they get but against GSP....Condit couldnt beat Fitch...Prolly Koscheck, Rumble, Or Alves....Diaz and Condit would be an even fight...

It's not a lost cause but it's certainly not likely. Condit is a god damn gamer. He's been in there with top competition all throughout his career. He's got some serious power, he's very slick off his back and his heart is unstoppable. It's crazy to completely count out a guy like that in mma.

Post #4   10/24/11 1:18:39PM   

cowcatcher

Steady MODdin'

cowcatcher Avatar

Career:2,637-1,512
Chips:

Posted by Budgellism

Posted by kingsmasher

It's not a lost cause but it's certainly not likely. Condit is a god damn gamer. He's been in there with top competition all throughout his career. He's got some serious power, he's very slick off his back and his heart is unstoppable. It's crazy to completely count out a guy like that in mma.

Condit is dangerous off his back and has power in his hands, that's enough to give anyone a chance in a fight no matter who they are against.

I'm still taking GSP though.

Post #5   10/24/11 1:58:21PM   

Budgellism

Randy

Budgellism Avatar

Career:2,983-1,702
Chips:
GSP by UD is certainly the popular and logical choice, that's for sure.

Post #6   10/24/11 3:18:18PM   

Bubbles

Come at me bro

Bubbles Avatar

Career:1,153-681
Chips:
can someone give me examples of fights where Condit was "dangerous" off his back? i dont think i have seen anything recently from him (Rory dominated top control) and tbh i dont think ive seen fights prior to Ellenberger (probably seen Kampmann fight but dont remember it atm)

Men be careful, female sexual predators are using a date rape drug called a Blowjob to trap men into scams called relationships.

Post #7   10/24/11 6:51:28PM   

Wolfenstein

Heavyweight Champ

Wolfenstein Avatar

Career:1,304-730
Chips:

Posted by Bubbles

can someone give me examples of fights where Condit was "dangerous" off his back? i dont think i have seen anything recently from him (Rory dominated top control) and tbh i dont think ive seen fights prior to Ellenberger (probably seen Kampmann fight but dont remember it atm)

He's very active off his back,m and gets a lot of near submission attempts, and sweeps--I think maybe it's a little innaccurate to say he's dangerous off his back...as if he has submitted a lot of high level opponents off his back. Probably his best was a quick sub over Frank Trigg off his back.

He did sweep Ellenberger with a kimura to mount...and defeated him as well, and he's being touted as the next GSP challenger after his throttling of Jake Shields...although IMO, he lost that bout. mHe got flattened twice in the first in what should have been a 10-8 rd.

Condit is good off his back...but it's not really a very diverse guard...he's not going to use the rubber guard...or use a flower sweep...nothing fancy...it will be triangles and armbars...something GSP has drilled a million times. Big fan of Condit but I'm not high on him being able to submit GSP off his back.

Last edited 10/24/11 7:27PM server time by Wolfenstein
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #8   10/24/11 7:25:49PM   

Bubbles

Come at me bro

Bubbles Avatar

Career:1,153-681
Chips:

Posted by Wolfenstein

Posted by Bubbles

He's very active off his back,m and gets a lot of near submission attempts, and sweeps--I think maybe it's a little innaccurate to say he's dangerous off his back...as if he has submitted a lot of high level opponents off his back. Probably his best was a quick sub over Frank Trigg off his back.

He did sweep Ellenberger with a kimura to mount...and defeated him as well, and he's being touted as the next GSP challenger after his throttling of Jake Shields...although IMO, he lost that bout. mHe got flattened twice in the first in what should have been a 10-8 rd.

Condit is good off his back...but it's not really a very diverse guard...he's not going to use the rubber guard...or use a flower sweep...nothing fancy...it will be triangles and armbars...something GSP has drilled a million times. Big fan of Condit but I'm not high on him being able to submit GSP off his back.

ill have to watch those fights. if what you say is accurate (ie majority agree), how is he a "more dangerous fighter" than Diaz to GSP? i still fail to see it

Men be careful, female sexual predators are using a date rape drug called a Blowjob to trap men into scams called relationships.

Post #9   10/25/11 11:15:39AM