Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Nelson: I've been working out in cemetery

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Career:2,310-1,223
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
Ask Roy Nelson how he's been preparing for his fight against Mirko "Cro Cop" Filipovic at UFC 137, and you'll find that "Big Country's" sense of humor is still very much intact after two straight losses.

"I've just been working out in the cemetery a lot," he told MMA Fighting recently. "I've got to get ready for the left kick. I want to see what it's like."

LINK

Post #1   10/24/11 12:34:23PM   

prophecy033

REBEL WITH A CAUSE

prophecy033 Avatar

Career:2,045-1,204
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
No....no you don't

Post #2   10/24/11 12:38:10PM   

Chael_Sonnen

Follow.The.Buzzards

Chael_Sonnen Avatar

Career:1,277-785
Chips:
Nelson may have been working out in a cemetery, but poor Mirko will be sleeping in one after this fight.

Nelson is hilarious

Post #3   10/24/11 12:54:56PM   

Manak

Belt Contender

Manak Avatar

Career:164-106
Camp: UFC-PRIDE-MMA
Chips:

Posted by prophecy033

No....no you don't

I really hope CC read this and gives nelson his wish... but that nay be wishful thinking on my part. I just want one last LHK to end such a legend

Post #4   10/24/11 4:12:31PM   

KungFuMaster

Heavyweight Champ

KungFuMaster Avatar

Career:423-342
Camp: The Lone Ranger(s)
Chips:
Crocop is just too one dimensional. He never improved since his Pride days. I know he worked a little on his ground game but I doubt he invested enough time to it whereby it actually becomes beneficial.

Post #5   10/24/11 4:39:51PM   

Pookie

Remember Paul Herrera

Pookie Avatar

Career:1,894-1,054
Chips:

Posted by KungFuMaster

Crocop is just too one dimensional. He never improved since his Pride days. I know he worked a little on his ground game but I doubt he invested enough time to it whereby it actually becomes beneficial.

1.5 dimensional.

Striking(1) + Takedown Defense(.5)

You'll like this link Kung.

But yes, i agree. He never improved beyond his initial skill set. And during his prime/heyday it was enough. It's just the sport has evolved.

Post #6   10/24/11 5:43:30PM   

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Career:1,550-903
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:

Posted by Pookie

Posted by KungFuMaster

1.5 dimensional.

But yes, i agree. He never improved beyond his initial skill set. And during his prime/heyday it was enough. It's just the sport has evolved.

I liked that article. It was very well written, but I completely disagree with it. I also disagree that the sport has 'evolved' or passed Cro Cop by.

There is greater depth of talent now, but the techniques are still basically the same.

Cro Cop in his prime would have done amazing in todays MMA, maybe been champ. Same thing with Chuck Liddell and Matt Hughes. The problem with these fighters isn't that they aren't evolving or that they're lacking in 'dimensions', its that they're getting old.

Machida is using the same basic strategy as Chuck. Fitch is using the same basic strategy as Hughes.

Anyone who couldn't stop Hughes takedowns or submit him off their back was in a lot of trouble.

Anyone who couldn't take Chuck down or out strike him was gonna get knocked out.

Substitute the name of a modern fighter into either of those sentences and the same is still true. This "evolving sport" myth is a paradigm we all like to preach, but it isn't real.

Post #7   10/24/11 6:12:27PM   

prophecy033

REBEL WITH A CAUSE

prophecy033 Avatar

Career:2,045-1,204
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
Inevitably all our favorite fighters get old. I'm gonna watch this fight like its the last time I'm ever gonna see Cro-Cop fight. I hope that's not the case but it just may be

Last edited 10/24/11 6:26PM server time by prophecy033
Edit note/reason: n/a
2 total post edits

Post #8   10/24/11 6:24:32PM   

Pookie

Remember Paul Herrera

Pookie Avatar

Career:1,894-1,054
Chips:

Posted by bjj1605

Posted by Pookie

Posted by KungFuMaster

1.5 dimensional.

I liked that article. It was very well written, but I completely disagree with it. I also disagree that the sport has 'evolved' or passed Cro Cop by.

There is greater depth of talent now, but the techniques are still basically the same.

Cro Cop in his prime would have done amazing in todays MMA, maybe been champ. Same thing with Chuck Liddell and Matt Hughes. The problem with these fighters isn't that they aren't evolving or that they're lacking in 'dimensions', its that they're getting old.

Machida is using the same basic strategy as Chuck. Fitch is using the same basic strategy as Hughes.

Anyone who couldn't stop Hughes takedowns or submit him off their back was in a lot of trouble.

Anyone who couldn't take Chuck down or out strike him was gonna get knocked out.

Substitute the name of a modern fighter into either of those sentences and the same is still true. This "evolving sport" myth is a paradigm we all like to preach, but it isn't real.

I agree that Younger Chuck, and Hughes, and Cro-cop could still be champions in today's MMA, as long as the style match-up they face is favorable to them.

But i do also agree with the notion that the sport is evolving. Machida like you mentioned, fights super similarly to Chuck strategically. Stuff the takedown, and outstrike on the feet. But, Machida has more tools on the feet(kicks, feints), more tools on the ground(submissions), and more tools from the clinch(throws, trips). One of the reasons Machida did well against Rampage, and Chuck could not. So although more evolved doesnt always mean more effective, the guy is by all means more evolved. The sport is evolving.

There are more stylistic problems for the Old Greats, in todays field of competitors, than there were back then. So while i agree that Prime Cro-cop, Chuck, and Hughes could get gold in today's sport, it's less likely, because it's more likely they come across someone who has the offensive ".5" or the defensive ".5" in an area that either neutralizes a strength of theirs, or exposes a hole in their armor.

You say anyone who couldnt outstrike Chuck would lose. This is true, but it was easier to outstrike Chuck than it was Machida.
And anyone who couldnt stop Hughes from taking them down was screwed too. But it is easier to stop a Hughes takedown than a Fitch takedown.

Last edited 10/24/11 6:40PM server time by pookie
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #9   10/24/11 6:38:25PM   

tallica62

MMA Sensei

tallica62 Avatar

Career:2,009-1,234
Camp: Playground Bullies
Chips:
I pray to god we see it 1 last time...

Post #10   10/24/11 7:25:01PM   

ghandikush

MMA Sensei

ghandikush Avatar

Career:118-71
Chips:

Posted by bjj1605

Posted by Pookie

Posted by KungFuMaster

1.5 dimensional.

No, Fitch i a better wretler than Hughes, he doent get ubmitted by mediocre skillets while attempting defenseless slams. He doesnt rely on strength, he doesnt undertrain. Off his back Fitch is defensively sound.

Chuck was never dynamic enough to manage even a high kick let alone spinning kicks etc, Chuck never had offensive wrestling and Machida has realy good takedown offense and defense, Machida has good BJJ as well.

The technique are not nearly the same as evidenced by GSP's striking diversity. His takedowns are better technically than Hughes as well. Anderson's diversity in striking and clinching is fantastic and he destroyed the old era Franklyn. Jon Jones throws back elbows regularly and front kicks to the face. Cain Has a total package in high kicks, wrestling, and BJJ defense.

Post #11   10/24/11 10:59:48PM   

KungFuMaster

Heavyweight Champ

KungFuMaster Avatar

Career:423-342
Camp: The Lone Ranger(s)
Chips:
I don't know how one can say the sport has not evolved. It has. More techniques are being used and the training has become more vigorous to encompass more elements of mma.

In the beginnings of mma, it was style versus style and Jiu Jitsu and wrestling proved to be the dominating elements of mma. They are still two of the most dominating elements in mma but in order to achieve that domination, a given fighter would have to explore the realms of the stand up. It means they have to invest a good amount of time to learn the stand up game in order to achieve their main objective which is wrestling or Jiu Jitsu.

Fighters like Couture, Liddel, and Hughes were great at one aspect of their game. But as time has proved, their styles no longer are dominant because more and more fighters are learning to counter those singular aspects of the sport.

Randy Couture has never lost much of his speed or strength. He has fought that way for as long as I can remember. It is not that he is getting old and is being beaten by younger fighters. It is because the sport is still relatively new and younger fighters are training harder and their training(s) are encompassing more elements than their predecessors.

Take GSP for example. Let us compare GSP to Mark Coleman who once ruled the ufc with his wrestling. Back in Coleman's days, he did not have to learn the stand up game to achieve his objective which is wrestling. GSP is essentially employing the same technique as Coleman but he has had to train harder and on more elements of mma to achieve his ultimate goal which is wrestling.

It used to be you can go from point A to point Z rather easily. Nowadays, you have to start at point A, then establish yourself at point H, then look for point T to become available and then you can have a shot at landing on Z.

Post #12   10/25/11 1:16:52AM   

Manak

Belt Contender

Manak Avatar

Chips:

Posted by ghandikush

Posted by bjj1605

Posted by Pookie

Posted by KungFuMaster

1.5 dimensional.

No, Fitch i a better wretler than Hughes, he doent get ubmitted by mediocre skillets while attempting defenseless slams. He doesnt rely on strength, he doesnt undertrain. Off his back Fitch is defensively sound.

Chuck was never dynamic enough to manage even a high kick let alone spinning kicks etc, Chuck never had offensive wrestling and Machida has realy good takedown offense and defense, Machida has good BJJ as well.

The technique are not nearly the same as evidenced by GSP's striking diversity. His takedowns are better technically than Hughes as well. Anderson's diversity in striking and clinching is fantastic and he destroyed the old era Franklyn. Jon Jones throws back elbows regularly and front kicks to the face. Cain Has a total package in high kicks, wrestling, and BJJ defense.

Chuck use to throw kicks but than stopped for someone unknown reason, just ask Renato, He also used his wrestling against Wand.

Really hughes getting subbed by Mediocre guys??? GSP n BJ Penn are far from that, Dennis hallman yes but those were way before he become champ, in 54 fights he has only been subbed 4 times.. I mean anderson silva got caught in a FLYING HEEL HOOK by ryo chonan, you get caught it happens, not to mention matt hughes owned royce gracie on the ground along with subbin GSP & Ricardo Almeida both of which are awesome at bJJ

To say these guys werent evolved is a bit insane if you ask me, yes they did have holes but every fighter has holes

As BJJ 1605 said they just got old these guys in their prime would still be at near the top, that's why they are legends

Post #13   10/25/11 1:18:48AM   

Manak

Belt Contender

Manak Avatar

Chips:

Posted by KungFuMaster

I don't know how one can say the sport has not evolved. It has. More techniques are being used and the training has become more vigorous to encompass more elements of mma.

In the beginnings of mma, it was style versus style and Jiu Jitsu and wrestling proved to be the dominating elements of mma. They are still two of the most dominating elements in mma but in order to achieve that domination, a given fighter would have to explore the realms of the stand up. It means they have to invest a good amount of time to learn the stand up game in order to achieve their main objective which is wrestling or Jiu Jitsu.

Fighters like Couture, Liddel, and Hughes were great at one aspect of their game. But as time has proved, their styles no longer are dominant because more and more fighters are learning to counter those singular aspects of the sport.

Randy Couture has never lost much of his speed or strength. He has fought that way for as long as I can remember. It is not that he is getting old and is being beaten by younger fighters. It is because the sport is still relatively new and younger fighters are training harder and their training(s) are encompassing more elements than their predecessors.

Take GSP for example. Let us compare GSP to Mark Coleman who once ruled the ufc with his wrestling. Back in Coleman's days, he did not have to learn the stand up game to achieve his objective which is wrestling. GSP is essentially employing the same technique as Coleman but he has had to train harder and on more elements of mma to achieve his ultimate goal which is wrestling.

It used to be you can go from point A to point Z rather easily. Nowadays, you have to start at point A, then establish yourself at point H, then look for point T to become available and then you can have a shot at landing on Z.

Yes the sport has deff evolved but I wouldnt say it passed up a guy like CC because of skill but rather age. Randy has only lost to the very best so its hard to see him as not evolving when losing to guy like Lyoto who has only lost twice.

I do agree with just bout everything you said but The last set on champions (the ones who were for a decent time) I feel just got old

Post #14   10/25/11 1:33:12AM   

ghandikush

MMA Sensei

ghandikush Avatar

Career:118-71
Chips:
Hughes got subbed by mediocre Hallman twice in the same situation. For some reason I thought Menne subbed him a well.

Chuck never had much of a triking diversity. Aside from the obral knockout how me a high kick... how me 10 career high kicks he ever threw, let alone a back elbow, clinch, knees etc He never ued offensive wrestling, he could have developed it, but he never did and Pride gave him hell all three matches againt opposition not named Wanderlei or Shogun. As for taking down Wanderlei that i not a how of wretling kill, anyone in the sport with a wretling background has a good shot of taking down Wanderlei in a cage.

These guys werent evolved.... Matt Hughes maybe, but Chuck beat a lot of less than steller competition and Wanderlei was on Roids half of his career so it is hard to gauge either of them. Good old Fedor arguably would wipe ome floors with top 5ers today though. In the end even god had holes.

Post #15   10/25/11 3:04:42AM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2