Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Georges St. Pierre Shooting for Early 2012 Return

Print  
Posted By Message

FastKnockout

THE RUTHLESS ONE

FastKnockout Avatar

Career:1,647-919
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
Earlier this week we were informed that UFC welterweight champion Georges St. Pierre suffered a MCL sprain that forced him to withdraw from his UFC 137 bout with Carlos Condit. Mike Fagan explained a little more about the injury yesterday and explained that, given trainer Firas Zahabi's timeline, it appeared that we should see a GSP return to the cage some time in the first few months of 2012.

In an interview with Sportsnet, GSP confirmed that exact target for his return:

"The recovery I want to do it well, I don't want to do it too fast. Because now I had an injury and I tried to train on it and maybe made it a little bit worse. I need a good four weeks to do my physio and do it right.

"I would say maybe end of January, possibly the beginning of February (for my return) ... Super Bowl, around this time."

LINK

Post #1   10/20/11 3:02:10PM   

airkerma

KE Released in MAtter

airkerma Avatar

Career:999-575
Chips:
And anderson has bursitis...sounds like they'll both be back in time for a superbowl weekend super fight. Ahhh wishful thinking. If dana wanted to blow the world away he could have them both on the same card. Once again, wishful thinking...

Post #2   10/20/11 6:00:07PM   

Manak

Belt Contender

Manak Avatar

Career:164-106
Camp: UFC-PRIDE-MMA
Chips:

Posted by airkerma

And anderson has bursitis...sounds like they'll both be back in time for a superbowl weekend super fight. Ahhh wishful thinking. If dana wanted to blow the world away he could have them both on the same card. Once again, wishful thinking...

if only..if only... Putting both those guys on the same card would be too much since they prb wont add any other fights if they were fighting other ppl instead vs each other

Post #3   10/20/11 6:24:02PM   

KungFuMaster

Heavyweight Champ

KungFuMaster Avatar

Career:423-341
Camp: The Lone Ranger(s)
Chips:
Here's to wishful thinking.

Post #4   10/20/11 8:54:34PM   

Sir_Karl

MMA Sensei

Sir_Karl Avatar

Career:2,162-1,476
Chips:
In what time frame does a UFC champ have to defend his title before it is stripped from him? I am not sure. His last fight was in April of this year. His supposed return will be close to a year without defending his title. If GSP's injury takes longer to heal than expected he might get stripped of his belt and then the UFC would have to set up a interim title bout. I would assume that would be between Condit (even though the UFC said he will wait for GSP, but if he gets stripped what is the point?) and the winner of Diaz and Penn. Maybe BJ could get that title shot he spoke about the other day, GSP's injury is quite a pisser to say the least. Bummer.

Post #5   10/20/11 11:09:23PM   

Dberntson

Standup Guy

Dberntson Avatar

Career:1,004-584
Camp: TKO
Chips:

Posted by Sir_Karl

In what time frame does a UFC champ have to defend his title before it is stripped from him? I am not sure. His last fight was in April of this year. His supposed return will be close to a year without defending his title. If GSP's injury takes longer to heal than expected he might get stripped of his belt and then the UFC would have to set up a interim title bout. I would assume that would be between Condit (even though the UFC said he will wait for GSP, but if he gets stripped what is the point?) and the winner of Diaz and Penn. Maybe BJ could get that title shot he spoke about the other day, GSP's injury is quite a pisser to say the least. Bummer.

There is no chance is Hades the UFC will add an interim champ with this injury. Especially since GSP just got hurt now while training to defend the title. GSP and/or Silva both would have to be out due to injury for over a year and a half (after the injury) before Dana would entertain an interim bought. Basically, the only way they get stripped of their titles is if either one leaves the UFC, thats about it.

Last edited 10/21/11 9:04AM server time by Dberntson
Edit note/reason: n/a
2 total post edits

Post #6   10/21/11 9:02:25AM   

airkerma

KE Released in MAtter

airkerma Avatar

Career:999-575
Chips:

Posted by Dberntson

Posted by Sir_Karl

There is no chance is Hades the UFC will add an interim champ with this injury. Especially since GSP just got hurt now while training to defend the title. GSP and/or Silva both would have to be out due to injury for over a year and a half (after the injury) before Dana would entertain an interim bought. Basically, the only way they get stripped of their titles is if either one leaves the UFC, thats about it.

completely agree. There is no way they would strip their poster boy and cash cow of his title. He even has espn commercials which does worlds to promote mma to the unknowing yet soon to be mma fan

Post #7   10/21/11 10:46:50AM