Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

UFC 137: B.J. Penn Will Go Five Rounds if Paid by UFC or Cesar Gracie

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

FastKnockout

THE RUTHLESS ONE

FastKnockout Avatar

Career:1,983-1,102
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
With the injury to Georges St. Pierre forcing B.J. Penn and Nick Diaz into the main event slot at UFC 137, there was some curiosity from fans wondering if Penn vs. Diaz would now be a five round fight. UFC president Dana White was quick to say that the fight would remain a three rounder.

For me, that was a shame. In my mind one of the UFC's most accomplished champions and the current Strikeforce champion should not be fighting a three round fight.

Diaz's manager, Cesar Gracie, was quick to start goading Penn into turning it into a five rounder. This was a smart move on his part as the one place where Diaz has the edge is in his endurance.

Penn has now responded, and he's open to the late notice change. But he wants to get paid for it (via MMA Weekly):

"I want to be compensated accordingly and that's it. I'm more than willing to do a five-round fight," Penn told MMAWeekly.com on Wednesday. "If Dana wants a five-round fight, just give me a call and we can put it together right now.

"Or if Cesar wants to make it a five-round fight and he wants to compensate me personally, he can put his money where his mouth is, it's that easy. I've been training to fight. I'm ready to fight."

LINK

Post #1   10/20/11 2:59:55PM   

FastKnockout

THE RUTHLESS ONE

FastKnockout Avatar

Career:1,983-1,102
Chips:
Can't blame him. More rounds, more $$$.

Post #2   10/20/11 3:07:31PM   

ghandikush

MMA Sensei

ghandikush Avatar

Career:118-71
Chips:
It only gonna go 1-3 anyway since either fighter will probably make a hasty knockout.

Post #3   10/20/11 3:22:04PM   

KungFuMaster

Heavyweight Champ

KungFuMaster Avatar

Career:423-342
Camp: The Lone Ranger(s)
Chips:
First of all, I cannot believe Penn is willing to take the challenge - I will give him props for that even-though I think it is foolish. And secondly, asking for more money is definitely the right thing to do...

Penn has a lot of fan base as he continually proves to be a good draw for PPVs and it is my opinion he has not been paid accordingly. He is one of the higher paid fighters but I think he is still making less than Tito who is no longer relevant to the sport.

Post #4   10/20/11 3:59:14PM   

postman

Heavyweight Champ

postman Avatar

Career:746-420
Chips:

Posted by KungFuMaster

First of all, I cannot believe Penn is willing to take the challenge - I will give him props for that even-though I think it is foolish. And secondly, asking for more money is definitely the right thing to do...

Penn has a lot of fan base as he continually proves to be a good draw for PPVs and it is my opinion he has not been paid accordingly. He is one of the higher paid fighters but I think he is still making less than Tito who is no longer relevant to the sport.

Relevance has nothing to do with compensation. Draw and star power is the name of the game. That being said bj draws very well.

Post #5   10/20/11 4:31:21PM   

airkerma

KE Released in MAtter

airkerma Avatar

Career:1,126-652
Chips:

Posted by postman

Posted by KungFuMaster

Relevance has nothing to do with compensation. Draw and star power is the name of the game. That being said bj draws very well.

I call Shenanigans on this. You mean to tell me that James Toney was never relevant in the UFC!?!?

Post #6   10/20/11 5:23:16PM   

ghandikush

MMA Sensei

ghandikush Avatar

Chips:

Posted by airkerma

Posted by postman

Posted by KungFuMaster

I call Shenanigans on this. You mean to tell me that James Toney was never relevant in the UFC!?!?

James Toney was paid more to be a hit at boxing than for hi drawing power imo, even as a spectacle.

Post #7   10/20/11 5:34:04PM   

Pookie

Remember Paul Herrera

Pookie Avatar

Career:1,951-1,087
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by ghandikush

Posted by airkerma

Posted by postman

Posted by KungFuMaster

James Toney was paid more to be a hit at boxing than for hi drawing power imo, even as a spectacle.

I disagree. James toney was paid entirely for the interest and drawing power a Box v. MMA fight could make. Especially considering that Toney made the real push to make the fight happen, i don't think it's fair to say the fight was made to be a hit at boxing.

Post #8   10/20/11 5:37:38PM   

State_Champ

MMA Sensei

State_Champ Avatar

Career:1,546-914
Camp: The Evil Empire
Chips:

Posted by ghandikush

It only gonna go 1-3 anyway since either fighter will probably make a hasty knockout.

Both these guys are nearly impossible to (T)KO.
I have trouble imagining this fight ending by any means other than decision.

Post #9   10/20/11 5:41:59PM   

ghandikush

MMA Sensei

ghandikush Avatar

Chips:

Posted by State_Champ

Posted by ghandikush

They havent fought eachother. BJ has never has a really rangy opponent with excellent combinations and nonstop aggression to both body and head from outside his jabbing range.

Diaz has never fought a trully talented boxer who can and will most likely put him out with superior timing and professional level hands.

BJ wont lose from lack of chin, it is an anvil, he will lose from gassing and nonstop drimming to body and head, that is what Diaz can do. Diaz i very good at avoiding being hurt on the ground but BJ will hurt him bad if he connects with the bad situations Diaz puts his chin in while standing, and neither one is any danger to the others JJ so BJ wont have the intimidation fact to chase Diaz to the ground for a tko.

That being said, Diaz COULD win a decision because of his range, but I think TKO is most likely in under 3.

Post #10   10/20/11 6:24:37PM   

Chael_Sonnen

Follow.The.Buzzards

Chael_Sonnen Avatar

Career:1,277-785
Chips:
Beej won't need 5 rounds to finish Nick.....RADIO EDIT, Beej won't need 3 rounds.

Post #11   10/20/11 6:33:35PM   

tmas

Belt Contender

tmas Avatar

Career:1,147-887
Chips:
i have inside information that BJ is in great shape thie move to 170 has really improved his work ethic and cardio. He is going all out

Post #12   10/21/11 9:58:01AM   

State_Champ

MMA Sensei

State_Champ Avatar

Chips:

Posted by ghandikush

Posted by State_Champ

Posted by ghandikush

They havent fought eachother. BJ has never has a really rangy opponent with excellent combinations and nonstop aggression to both body and head from outside his jabbing range.

Diaz has never fought a trully talented boxer who can and will most likely put him out with superior timing and professional level hands.

BJ wont lose from lack of chin, it is an anvil, he will lose from gassing and nonstop drimming to body and head, that is what Diaz can do. Diaz i very good at avoiding being hurt on the ground but BJ will hurt him bad if he connects with the bad situations Diaz puts his chin in while standing, and neither one is any danger to the others JJ so BJ wont have the intimidation fact to chase Diaz to the ground for a tko.

That being said, Diaz COULD win a decision because of his range, but I think TKO is most likely in under 3.

Diaz fought KJ Noons. I thought Noons had decent hands.
Still, I see your point.

I am confused though... you write some things which seem contradictory to me.

"Diaz has never fought a trully talented boxer who can and will most likely put him out with superior timing and professional level hands."
So you're predicting BJ will win?

"That being said, Diaz COULD win a decision because of his range, but I think TKO is most likely in under 3."
So you're predicting Diaz will win? Or is this a reiteration of your prediction that BJ will "most likely put him out with professional level hands."

WHICH IS IT!?!?!?!?!

Post #13   10/21/11 10:16:56AM   

kingsmasher

BANNED

Career:258-155
Chips:
I see BJ connecting at some point in teh second which will stun Diaz and BJ then going for the finishing submission...Diaz hasnt fought anyone compared to BJ....I think Frankie Edgar would beat Diaz...His boxing is way over rated...

Post #14   10/21/11 11:23:00AM   

State_Champ

MMA Sensei

State_Champ Avatar

Chips:
Historically, Diaz bleeds easily.
A cut could end this?

And let's not forget, Daley had Diaz hurt.

Post #15   10/21/11 11:40:43AM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2