Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Daniel Cormier Would Consider Move to 205 to Avoid Cain Velasquez

Print  
  Page 2 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

cowcatcher

Steady MODdin'

cowcatcher Avatar

Career:2,542-1,461
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
If the drop in weight isn't safe(and losing all that water and then rehydrating would be hell on his kidneys) then he shouldn't make it. Personal safety should come before team allegiances in an individual sport. Could he give Bones a tough fight? Probably. Should he do it at the risk of his health? No way.

As far as where he is in the HW title picture goes, he's close-ish to a shot not only because of his wins, but because the field isn't overly crowded with contenders, especially guys that haven't had their shot at the title yet. A lot of the big names have already fought each other, so a new contender is something that makes sense when it comes to selling tickets and keeping the division fresh. They don't need trilogies to determine every title holder in every weight class.

Post #16   10/21/11 11:06:45AM   

kingsmasher

BANNED

Career:258-155
Chips:

Posted by FastKnockout

I don't know how I feel about the thought of Cormier moving down. Speed and athleticism give him the edge in most of his fights, but that could disappear against guys his natural size. Basically the same issues Frankie Edgar might have if he chooses to move down to featherweight.

Frankie will still rule if he moves down...His boxing skills would have Aldo in a stuper....Aldo is fast but hed be worried about takedowns and they dont call it the sweet science for nothing....

In all honesty I would bet Aldo hasnt faced anyone with half the boxing technique that Edgar has...With boxing is a science and Frankie is excellent at countering and head movement...Thats why its a science good boxers find the slightest nuance a fighter reacts to and makes adjustments...I just dont think Aldo has had the coaching and skill set to beat an actual good boxer...

Post #17   10/21/11 11:30:36AM   

KungFuMaster

Heavyweight Champ

KungFuMaster Avatar

Career:423-342
Camp: The Lone Ranger(s)
Chips:

Posted by postman

Posted by KungFuMaster

Posted by quezocrema0032

The winner of the Grand prix (even this diminished Gp), would still be closing in on a title shot. With that being said D.C's comments aren't to out of place. I personally think the winner should fight the winner of Big nog vs Mir for next in line after Lesner /Reem

Had Comier been there since the start of the tournament and won, I can see that you may have a point. As for Josh Barnett, if he wins, he will likely have to fight 2 top contenders before he receives his shot. Overeem is the Strike Force champion and did he get an immediate title shot? What makes Comier or Barnett anymore special than Overeem? If anything, they would be less special and would require more fights to earn their shots.

I like the winner of DC and Barney fighting the winner of Mir Nog

That is a good possibility but because the talent pool is limited in the HW division and many fighters are toe to toe ( in the sense of contendership ), I can see many different possible scenarios. You have Mitrione and Brwone closing in on a title shot. You have Mir closing in on a 3 win fight streak if he beats Nog. You have Comier coming from another org who will be undefeated if he defeats Barnett. You have Barnett who I think ( if he wins the GP ) will want an immediate title shot.

After a bit of analysis, I would place Comier, Mitrione, and Brwone in one slot. If Comier wins the GP, I would pit him against either Mitrione or Browne (Assuming both go undefeated ) and then against a top contender - which in this weak division could be anyone but preferably a fighter with a 2 fight win streak.

Damn, this HW division is a mess.

Post #18   10/21/11 11:49:28AM   

kingsmasher

BANNED

Chips:

Posted by KungFuMaster

Posted by postman

Posted by KungFuMaster

Posted by quezocrema0032

The winner of the Grand prix (even this diminished Gp), would still be closing in on a title shot. With that being said D.C's comments aren't to out of place. I personally think the winner should fight the winner of Big nog vs Mir for next in line after Lesner /Reem

Had Comier been there since the start of the tournament and won, I can see that you may have a point. As for Josh Barnett, if he wins, he will likely have to fight 2 top contenders before he receives his shot. Overeem is the Strike Force champion and did he get an immediate title shot? What makes Comier or Barnett anymore special than Overeem? If anything, they would be less special and would require more fights to earn their shots.

That is a good possibility but because the talent pool is limited in the HW division and many fighters are toe to toe ( in the sense of contendership ), I can see many different possible scenarios. You have Mitrione and Brwone closing in on a title shot. You have Mir closing in on a 3 win fight streak if he beats Nog. You have Comier coming from another org who will be undefeated if he defeats Barnett. You have Barnett who I think ( if he wins the GP ) will want an immediate title shot.

After a bit of analysis, I would place Comier, Mitrione, and Brwone in one slot. If Comier wins the GP, I would pit him against either Mitrione or Browne (Assuming both go undefeated ) and then against a top contender - which in this weak division could be anyone but preferably a fighter with a 2 fight win streak.

To me Mitrione doesnt stand a chance against Browne or Cormier...hes fun to watch and I like Matt but hes really not very good...Cormier would definitely wrestle him down...

Post #19   10/21/11 12:01:17PM   

KungFuMaster

Heavyweight Champ

KungFuMaster Avatar

Career:423-342
Camp: The Lone Ranger(s)
Chips:

Posted by kingsmasher

Posted by KungFuMaster

Posted by postman

Posted by KungFuMaster

Posted by quezocrema0032

To me Mitrione doesnt stand a chance against Browne or Cormier...hes fun to watch and I like Matt but hes really not very good...Cormier would definitely wrestle him down...

I hear you but that is not the point. Mitrione will be on an outstanding ufc win streak if he defeats Kongo which would give him rights to a contention fight. Whether he is to lose against a top contender does not mean his opportunity should be denied.

Post #20   10/21/11 12:12:35PM   

icantthinkofanything

MMA Sensei

icantthinkofanything Avatar

Career:911-636
Camp: 360 Mafia
Chips:
I used to think Cormier at 205 would be good, but didnt feel like DC was as dynamic as Cain, more like a big Koscheck, and someone who may not win a belt, especially with talent like Cain, Jones, and Silva around.

his hands looked good vs Big foot, but breaking a hand is not good for his future, and Bigfoot is far from the level of Cain.

The HW division is nothing without the top 5, meaning that being top 6-11 is pretty easy with no competition. that is why Mitrione is up at the top, when he has only beat low-middle tier HW's.
DC's speed and wrestling is great for the bigger guys, like Edgar, and Couture have demonstrated in their careers, and that is unexpected usually, because big people get an advantage fighting smaller people.

Daniel's record, if he beats Barnett would put him in line for the belt, but DW would not grant a title shot for beating Barnett, because Barnett, like Fedor, hasn't fought in the USA big show, for a long time until recently.

Lesnar -Overeem could get the next shot, but I would not mind seeing the Reem or Lesnar and all other contenders near the top, get another fight in- before getting a title shot,

setting up Mir , Nog, DC, Barnett Kongo and Mitrione as likely opponents for a number 1 contender bout. The HW'S should have to prove themselves, so the best guy gets the title shot next.

Post #21   10/21/11 12:34:09PM   

kingsmasher

BANNED

Chips:
Mitrione isnt getting a title shot soon IMO for at least three more fights...He just hasnt beaten anyone at all...3 contenders starts now...He will prolly lose to Kongo...

Post #22   10/24/11 1:12:55PM   

Page 2 of 2     1     2