Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Daniel Cormier Would Consider Move to 205 to Avoid Cain Velasquez

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

FastKnockout

TRICK 'R TREAT

FastKnockout Avatar

Career:1,856-1,025
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
Two-time Olympic wrestling team member and undefeated prospect Daniel Cormier vaulted himself into the upper-echelon of the heavyweight division in September after he demolished Brazilian giant Antonio Silva at the U.S. Bank Arena in Cincinnati, Ohio. The shocking knockout victory extended Cormier's unblemished record to nine, creating talk that he may, in fact, fulfill a role as the next great heavyweight fighter. Fellow semifinalist Josh Barnett stands in his path of proving that theory for fans, but we won't find out until Cormier's hand heals, sometime in early 2012.

In the meantime, Cormier's teammate at American Kickboxing Academy, UFC heavyweight champion Cain Velasquez, prepares for his first title defense on the UFC's inaugural Fox card on November 12. As you would expect, a world-class wrestler like Cormier is one of Velasquez's primary training partners, making it inevitable that a question arise about Cormier and Velasquez ever fighting one another. Interestingly enough, Cormier told Yahoo!'s Dave Meltzer that it could happen if the money was right:

"It'll be a very difficult fight for us to do. It will have to be worth it to us financially. We share the same coaches and the same management team. We'd have to address this as a group, with [manager] Bob Cook, Javier. I don't want to be just a good fighter. I want to be the best in the world. I could be in line for a championship but if it came down to us, I'd much rather go to 205. That would eliminate a lot of things. We have a great thing going at AKA, to avoid a lot of negatives, to avoid people having to choose sides, I'd rather move to 205, maybe beat someone, and then face Jon Jones. I'd have to have that fight instead of Cain."

LINK

Post #1   10/20/11 2:58:02PM   

FastKnockout

TRICK 'R TREAT

FastKnockout Avatar

Career:1,856-1,025
Chips:
I don't know how I feel about the thought of Cormier moving down. Speed and athleticism give him the edge in most of his fights, but that could disappear against guys his natural size. Basically the same issues Frankie Edgar might have if he chooses to move down to featherweight.

Post #2   10/20/11 3:06:21PM   

KungFuMaster

Heavyweight Champ

KungFuMaster Avatar

Career:423-342
Camp: The Lone Ranger(s)
Chips:
I am sure he will get signed by the ufc but he is getting ahead of himself here...Comier will not have to deal with that issue unless he wins a few consecutive fights while in the ufc. We are talking about maybe two years from now.

Post #3   10/20/11 4:18:09PM   

postman

Heavyweight Champ

postman Avatar

Career:746-420
Chips:
Dumb move i know the goal is to be champ but winning fights is what makes money and there are so many more wins at hw for DC then there are at 205.

Post #4   10/20/11 4:25:48PM   

airkerma

KE Released in MAtter

airkerma Avatar

Career:1,067-623
Chips:
Perhaps he should win a fight in the UFC before worrying about fighting the UFC HW champ.

Post #5   10/20/11 5:21:08PM   

Dberntson

In Full Mount

Dberntson Avatar

Career:1,073-623
Camp: TKO
Chips:
He still has to beat Barnett if Im not mistaken. That's no guarantee. A loss to Barnett puts him a long ways out of the UFC title picture. A win, gets him into the UFC and in the middle of the line for a title shot. Lesnar/Allistar get the next shot - probably late spring. The next opening would be late summer early fall - which he would not be in the running for as a candidate. So best case scenario, he would need three dominate UFC wins before any title shot sometime mid/late 2013.

Post #6   10/20/11 5:51:02PM   

postman

Heavyweight Champ

postman Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Dberntson

He still has to beat Barnett if Im not mistaken. That's no guarantee. A loss to Barnett puts him a long ways out of the UFC title picture. A win, gets him into the UFC and in the middle of the line for a title shot. Lesnar/Allistar get the next shot - probably late spring. The next opening would be late summer early fall - which he would not be in the running for as a candidate. So best case scenario, he would need three dominate UFC wins before any title shot sometime mid/late 2013.

Oh i disagree he beats barney and he is getting the next shot after lesnar or overeem winner gets theirs. Who else would? Mir nog? Carwins on the shelf. Werdum would be behind daniel. He wins that fight and overeem lesnar or jds hass the belt i think he would be the last guy left and he just won a tough hw grand prix as a alternate.

Post #7   10/20/11 6:53:02PM   

KungFuMaster

Heavyweight Champ

KungFuMaster Avatar

Chips:

Posted by postman

Posted by Dberntson

Oh i disagree he beats barney and he is getting the next shot after lesnar or overeem winner gets theirs. Who else would? Mir nog? Carwins on the shelf. Werdum would be behind daniel. He wins that fight and overeem lesnar or jds hass the belt i think he would be the last guy left and he just won a tough hw grand prix as a alternate.

How significant is the Grand Prix title? Let us say Comier wins the Grand Prix - that only means he defeated two fighters. With Overeem exiting the GP tournament, the prestige in winning the tournament is somewhat diminished. An argument can be made for Mitrione getting the title shot if he beats Kongo which would bring Mitrione to an impeccable ufc record of 6 - 0. See where I am going? I feel Comier needs 2 wins against 2 solid ufc HWs before he should get the title shot.

Post #8   10/20/11 9:59:50PM   

prophecy033

REBEL WITH A CAUSE

prophecy033 Avatar

Career:2,062-1,210
Chips:
I just wish these guys would suck it up and fight eachother. They all understand this is their career. Friends in other businesses compete with eachother then go out after work and have a beer. I understand the argument that they know eachothers secrets and whatnot but wouldn't that make you take your game to another level? Wouldn't pushing yourself to that level make for a better fight? I don't see what the big deal is actually

Post #9   10/20/11 10:11:09PM   

KungFuMaster

Heavyweight Champ

KungFuMaster Avatar

Chips:

Posted by prophecy033

I just wish these guys would suck it up and fight eachother. They all understand this is their career. Friends in other businesses compete with eachother then go out after work and have a beer. I understand the argument that they know eachothers secrets and whatnot but wouldn't that make you take your game to another level? Wouldn't pushing yourself to that level make for a better fight? I don't see what the big deal is actually

I here you. I don't mind friends not wanting to fight friends but if a number one contender spot or a title is on the line, they should fight - otherwise, it creates a big mess. For any other bouts, I don't mind them avoiding each other. I wouldn't want to fight my friend if I did not have to...

Post #10   10/20/11 10:17:40PM   

quezocrema0032

Belt Contender

quezocrema0032 Avatar

Career:2,007-1,070
Chips:
The winner of the Grand prix (even this diminished Gp), would still be closing in on a title shot. With that being said D.C's comments aren't to out of place. I personally think the winner should fight the winner of Big nog vs Mir for next in line after Lesner /Reem

Post #11   10/20/11 11:59:20PM   

KungFuMaster

Heavyweight Champ

KungFuMaster Avatar

Chips:

Posted by quezocrema0032

The winner of the Grand prix (even this diminished Gp), would still be closing in on a title shot. With that being said D.C's comments aren't to out of place. I personally think the winner should fight the winner of Big nog vs Mir for next in line after Lesner /Reem

Had Comier been there since the start of the tournament and won, I can see that you may have a point. As for Josh Barnett, if he wins, he will likely have to fight 2 top contenders before he receives his shot. Overeem is the Strike Force champion and did he get an immediate title shot? What makes Comier or Barnett anymore special than Overeem? If anything, they would be less special and would require more fights to earn their shots.

Post #12   10/21/11 12:48:36AM   

postman

Heavyweight Champ

postman Avatar

Chips:

Posted by KungFuMaster

Posted by quezocrema0032

Had Comier been there since the start of the tournament and won, I can see that you may have a point. As for Josh Barnett, if he wins, he will likely have to fight 2 top contenders before he receives his shot. Overeem is the Strike Force champion and did he get an immediate title shot? What makes Comier or Barnett anymore special than Overeem? If anything, they would be less special and would require more fights to earn their shots.

All 3 of them have beat much better fighters then Meathead even if he beats Kongo. I like the winner of DC and Barney fighting the winner of Mir Nog

Post #13   10/21/11 9:50:30AM   

kingsmasher

BANNED

Career:258-155
Chips:
I already said he is the only one who could test Jon Jones....Cormier wrestling is the best one to get inside and test Jones other than him nobody will...I already saw this move happen long ago cause I knew he was training with Cain 24/7...Hes the head wrestling coach at AKA....Id say those are pretty good credentials....He would beat Barnett but I bet the fight never happens...well in Strikeforce...

Post #14   10/21/11 10:42:30AM   

gartface

Heavyweight Champ

gartface Avatar

Career:1,406-898
Camp: Hand Grenade Hillbillies
Chips:

Posted by KungFuMaster

He was originally in the tournament. He fought Jeff Monson as the alternate bout in case something happened to one of the main participants, and he filled his role. A win over Barnett would make it three wins in the tournament.

I don't think he's out of line at all making that statement about Cain. It's something that all AKA fighters discuss - avoiding fighting their teammates. Seeing Daniel Cormier at 205 would be weird though.

Post #15   10/21/11 11:03:15AM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2