Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

UFC Hall of Famer Dan Severn Battling Bullies, Will Call It Quits After 2012

Print  
Posted By Message

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Career:2,245-1,185
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
While Dan Severn may be known as “The Beast” inside cage, outside of it, he’s one of MMA’s biggest supporters and ambassadors who uses his fame to help further many causes as best he can.

This coming Thursday night at the Hard Rock Cafe in Times Square, New York, Severn will be among the celebrities (including current UFC lightweight champion Frankie Edgar) lending his support to the Kickin’ It anti-bullying program at one of their premier events of the year.

LINK

Post #1   10/20/11 9:27:04AM   

MaxOne

Captain Doctor

MaxOne Avatar

Career:862-586
Camp: Team Syntax
Chips:
Edgar should be the poster boy for this movement after his last win.

Post #2   10/20/11 11:54:10AM   

airkerma

KE Released in MAtter

airkerma Avatar

Career:999-575
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:

Posted by MaxOne

Edgar should be the poster boy for this movement after his last win.

He's busy with trying to keep the Jets afloat

Post #3   10/20/11 1:26:37PM   

ghandikush

MMA Sensei

ghandikush Avatar

Career:118-71
Chips:

Posted by emfleek

While Dan Severn may be known as “The Beast” inside cage, outside of it, he’s one of MMA’s biggest supporters and ambassadors who uses his fame to help further many causes as best he can.

This coming Thursday night at the Hard Rock Cafe in Times Square, New York, Severn will be among the celebrities (including current UFC lightweight champion Frankie Edgar) lending his support to the Kickin’ It anti-bullying program at one of their premier events of the year.

LINK

Ive been bullied, it i a poitive toughening experience that help you not be a pussy later in life.

Post #4   10/20/11 1:39:35PM   

isk

In Full Mount

isk Avatar

Career:-
Chips:
Always been impressed by Severn's class and civic-minded attitude. While financial contributions definitely help with causes like these, he also gives his time and I can't think of a case when he hasn't represented himself well.

Post #5   10/20/11 1:52:39PM   

DeadHead988

MMA Sensei

DeadHead988 Avatar

Career:367-289
Camp: Midwest Training Center
Chips:

Posted by ghandikush

Posted by emfleek

LINK

Ive been bullied, it i a poitive toughening experience that help you not be a pussy later in life.

Apparently it doesn't help your spelling and grammer much, though.

Post #6   10/20/11 5:25:05PM   

pmoney

P$ Pimpin'

pmoney Avatar

Career:1,426-871
Chips:

Posted by ghandikush

Bullying is not a positive experience. A toughening experience, perhaps. But not positive. I do see where you are coming from, but I don't think we need bullying to continue to keep people from becoming pussies.

I know I got in to martial arts at a young age because of bullying. I was never the target of bullies more so than any other kid, but I wanted to be able to defend myself and stand up for myself. Karate, Tae Kwon Do, and TMNT gave me the confidence to do those things

While anti-bullying campaigns are great, I don't know how effective they will ever be. It's kind of the same thing as a "Stop being an asshole" campaign. While great in theory, some people are built to be assholes. Some people are built to be bullies. There is only so much that can be done to curb either form of behavior.

We are taught more and more to not defend ourselves in this life. If you see a bear, you are supposed to play dead. If you are getting robbed, you are supposed to give the perpetrator what they want. Those are good examples of when to cooperate. However, the "sit back and cooperate" plan is why 3 out of 4 planes on 9/11 hit their final targets, so there is a very fine line on when that is a good game plan.

It all goes back to parenting and education, in my opinion. If you grow up a pussy, it's either your fault or your parents fault. I'll never forget being 4 years old and telling my dad I wanted to punch one of the other neighborhood kids. He told me never to start fights (I wasn't), and then he showed me how to make a proper fist so I wouldn't break my hand throwing a punch. Lol, my dad was the best....

Edit: More to the point of the thread... Severn should stop competing after this year, not 2012. I mean if he wants to keep going, good for him. But he's a UFC Hall of Famer, and his pro record currently sits at 100-18-7. I don't think he has anything left to prove. Also, of his 18 losses, he has three by (T)KO. One of those came in 2005, and the other two were in his last two fights....

Last edited 10/20/11 8:17PM server time by pmoney
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #7   10/20/11 8:07:23PM   

KungFuMaster

Heavyweight Champ

KungFuMaster Avatar

Career:423-341
Camp: The Lone Ranger(s)
Chips:
Well said, Pmoney.

I hate bullies and one thing which I do like is schools are focusing more on anti-bully tactics. The tolerance for bullies is being tightened up in the school districts.

I was bullied myself but never got into a physical altercation. It wasn't that I backed down; it was more of the bully not wanting to fight and I had people around me to tell the bullies to back off as well.

All in all, I was always encouraged to not fight and to avoid it. Fighting nowadays is probably not the best choice even if it hurts your pride. People are crazy and would be willing to kill over a silly argument.

There is a saying - "An ass whoppin' only hurts for a few weeks but being a coward hurts forever." - something like that...

Like you have said, the line between being brave and being a coward is not a very distinguishing one and every case is different from the next and every case needs to be examined carefully to determine the best course of action.

Post #8   10/20/11 9:30:27PM   

Sir_Karl

MMA Sensei

Sir_Karl Avatar

Career:2,162-1,476
Chips:
Our society creates the bullies and then tolerates the bullies. We need to become completely intolerant of the bullies that do exist and we need to change as a society in order to stop creating them in the first place.

Post #9   10/20/11 11:26:26PM   

scoozna

Liver shot!

scoozna Avatar

Career:2,202-1,233
Chips:
Interesting comments...someone should start a "bullying" thread.

As a parent of gradeschoolers I have a tough time with the "no tolerance" policies in schools today. It doesn't make sense to me...I can't teach my kid to defend himself or he'll be suspended or expelled?

Post #10   10/21/11 12:12:41PM   

UFC_Fanatic

In Full Mount

UFC_Fanatic Avatar

Career:1,436-881
Camp: Hand Grenade Hillbillies
Chips:

Posted by scoozna

Interesting comments...someone should start a "bullying" thread.

As a parent of gradeschoolers I have a tough time with the "no tolerance" policies in schools today. It doesn't make sense to me...I can't teach my kid to defend himself or he'll be suspended or expelled?

Yeah, kids aren't really allowed to defend themselves in school either. I know that when I was in high school, the policy was that you had to get hit three times before you could even think of playing the self-defense card. I don't know about the rest of us, but if I get swung on once, my self preservation instincts are going to kick into overdrive. We should be allowed to teach our kids that it is okay to stand up for themselves. I know that one day when I have kids I want my kids enrolled in martial arts to not only teach them to defend themselves, but to teach them discipline and teach them the value of respect and all those other great values instilled in children by martial arts.

Post #11   10/21/11 10:24:58PM   

Aether

Heavyweight Champ

Aether Avatar

Career:946-505
Chips:

Posted by ghandikush

Posted by emfleek

LINK

It can also be a pretty negative, emotionally devastating experience that can demolish the self-worth and confidence of children who don't have enough life experience to brush it aside, to the point where they can end up hanging themselves to escape from the torture of getting their asses kicked and being ridiculed mercilessly every day of their lives.

Post #12   10/22/11 4:22:13AM   

Bubbles

Come at me bro

Bubbles Avatar

Career:1,120-670
Chips:

Posted by pmoney

I know I got in to martial arts at a young age because of bullying. I was never the target of bullies more so than any other kid, but I wanted to be able to defend myself and stand up for myself. Karate, Tae Kwon Do, and TMNT gave me the confidence to do those things

i did Karate and the Power Rangers was my fighting influence

Men be careful, female sexual predators are using a date rape drug called a Blowjob to trap men into scams called relationships.

Post #13   10/23/11 5:37:36PM