Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

UFC 137's B.J. Penn would like another title shot, but he's not banking on it

Print  
Posted By Message

Budgellism

Randy

Budgellism Avatar

Career:2,974-1,693
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
The title picture is a fickle beast, and B.J. Penn isn't about to get wrapped up in it.

The former lightweight and welterweight champion said that after his near-miss with a second chance at 170-pound champ Georges St-Pierre's belt, he's taking a wait-and-see attitude about his career.

"I'm trying to fight my best, and like all fighters say, the fight's against yourself," Penn said today. "So I'm just going to try to push myself to my personal best."

Penn (16-7-2 MMA, 12-6-2 UFC), who meets Nick Diaz (25-7 MMA, 6-4 UFC) in the headliner of UFC 137 on Oct. 29 at Las Vegas' Mandalay Bay Events Center, admits he fights himself a lot. Once a dominant force in the lightweight division, his stock took a considerable slide with back-to-back losses to current champ Frankie Edgar, and later, a draw at UFC 127 with Jon Fitch that was supposed to crown the next welterweight contender.

"For me, it's always been a love-hate relationship with MMA, and maybe with the UFC at times," Penn said. "I'd love to stick around as long as Randy (Couture) has stuck around, if I could do something like that. But it's one day, I want to fight 100 more fights, and the next day, I'm like I don't want to do this any more. I think a lot of fighters feel that way, but maybe I'm just more vocal about it."

LINK

Post #1   10/19/11 7:50:57PM   

airkerma

KE Released in MAtter

airkerma Avatar

Career:1,096-637
Chips:
please no. I have zero desire to see those two fight again. I really wish he would just drop back down to lw and smoke all these false contenders (not bashing, mild space marine ref). I just worry about Penn because he always seems like he's just about to quit mma and he is one of the most talented we have seen.

Post #2   10/19/11 8:29:57PM   

KoldKhaos

MMA Regular

Career:195-151
Chips:
it's interviews like these that make it that much easier for me to pick Diaz.

Post #3   10/19/11 8:36:54PM   

Budgellism

Randy

Budgellism Avatar

Chips:
I love Penn but as long as GSP and Edgar are champs in the ufc I don't want to see him in any more title fights. He has a lot of fun and exciting fights left at both weight classes if he wants to. I for one still would really love to see the Condit fight.

Post #4   10/19/11 9:03:31PM   

Chael_Sonnen

Follow.The.Buzzards

Chael_Sonnen Avatar

Career:1,277-785
Chips:
I don't trust Beej's work ethic enough.

Post #5   10/19/11 9:08:57PM   

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Career:1,591-928
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:

Posted by Budgellism

I love Penn but as long as GSP and Edgar are champs in the ufc I don't want to see him in any more title fights. He has a lot of fun and exciting fights left at both weight classes if he wants to. I for one still would really love to see the Condit fight.

I think if he got motivated he could beat Edgar easily and maybe even GSP.

The key word there is IF.

Post #6   10/19/11 10:27:39PM   

Chael_Sonnen

Follow.The.Buzzards

Chael_Sonnen Avatar

Career:1,277-785
Chips:

Posted by bjj1605

Posted by Budgellism

How is oneself NOT motivated for a title fight not once, but twice against Frankie

Beej needs a real training camp....so sick and tired hearing all this "Well, if Beej is motivated" crap

Last edited 10/19/11 10:32PM server time by chael_sonnen
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #7   10/19/11 10:30:38PM   

Budgellism

Randy

Budgellism Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Chael_Sonnen

Posted by bjj1605

Posted by Budgellism

How is oneself NOT motivated for a title fight not once, but twice against Frankie

Beej needs a real training camp....so sick and tired hearing all this "Well, if Beej is motivated" crap

This. Frankie beat him hands down the 2nd time and since then has proved to be a force. Penn loses to the best in the business as he is in that club himself.

Post #8   10/19/11 10:39:12PM   

Bubbles

Come at me bro

Bubbles Avatar

Career:1,143-679
Chips:
win or lose (most likely lose imo), i think he should fight Koscheck next

Men be careful, female sexual predators are using a date rape drug called a Blowjob to trap men into scams called relationships.

Post #9   10/20/11 1:25:24PM   

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Career:1,591-928
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:

Posted by Budgellism

Posted by Chael_Sonnen

Posted by bjj1605

Posted by Budgellism

This. Frankie beat him hands down the 2nd time and since then has proved to be a force. Penn loses to the best in the business as he is in that club himself.

Don't really care if you guys agree with me or not. Usually I'd try to convince you, but I really can't in this case.

Its sort of like a Marxist argument. You can't prove me wrong because I can always say "it just hasn't happened yet." But I can't prove you wrong until it does. So we'll have to agree to disagree.

Post #10   10/21/11 11:35:04AM