Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Cesar Gracie on B.J. Penn vs. Nick Diaz - 'Let's Make it Five Rounds'

Print  
  Page 1 of 3     1     2     3  
Posted By Message

FastKnockout

TRICK 'R TREAT

FastKnockout Avatar

Career:1,856-1,025
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
It looks like Nick Diaz wants to go five rounds with B.J. Penn in the new main event of UFC 137, despite Dana White stating it would only be a three-rounder on twitter earlier today. Of course, they are now in the marquee spot because Georges St. Pierre was forced out of his headlining bout with Carlos Condit due to a knee injury. As usual, Nick's manager Cesar Gracie is leading the campaign for a five-rounder, speaking to MMA Fighting about the idea:

"If they can't fight five rounds against each other, how are they going to fight five rounds against GSP?," Gracie said to MMAFighting.com on Tuesday.

LINK

Post #1   10/18/11 9:15:11PM   

FastKnockout

TRICK 'R TREAT

FastKnockout Avatar

Career:1,856-1,025
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
Sounds like Gracie/Diaz are banking on Penn gassing, which comes as no surprise.

Post #2   10/18/11 9:16:49PM   

DeadHead988

MMA Sensei

DeadHead988 Avatar

Career:367-289
Camp: Midwest Training Center
Chips:
I really like that idea, it would at least partially make up for the loss of the main event. It's probably too short notice to change it now though.

Post #3   10/18/11 9:56:09PM   

Pookie

Remember Paul Herrera

Pookie Avatar

Career:1,910-1,061
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
In a stand-up fight with no threat of the takedown i don't see BJ gassing in a 5 rounder.

Post #4   10/18/11 9:58:39PM   

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Career:2,869-1,573
Chips:
If nothing else, Cesar knows psychology.

Post #5   10/18/11 10:02:18PM   

TheBlackChip

MMA Regular

TheBlackChip Avatar

Career:775-367
Camp: Playground Bullies
Chips:
I don't really understand why this was not a 5-rounder to begin with. As I understood, title-eliminators (which I believe this is since Diaz winning likely puts him in line for a title shot), would be 5 rounds. I understand this was scheduled along with a championship fight, so it was not intended to be the main event, but the UFC should also be smart enough to know that they have to plan for fights getting canceled. They should know that the possibility of losing another title fight due to injury was not just a possibility, but a probability. It seems that making this a 5-rounder "just in case" would have been wise, if GSP-Condit goes through no big deal, just means fans are rewarded with not one but two potential 5-round battles, its not like you can't have two of those on the same card.

Post #6   10/18/11 10:53:19PM   

Twenty20Dollars

Heavyweight Champ

Career:1,572-1,001
Chips:
Only main events are going to be 5 rounds.

Diaz/Penn wasn't signed by both guys to be a main event/5 round fight. I think both guys would have to resign for 5 rounds or something like that.

A lot of behind the scenes stuff we kinda don't know. I do find that behind the scenes stuff intriguing though. Like NFL hardknocks and the showtime show with the SF Giants.

Post #7   10/19/11 12:24:34AM   

KungFuMaster

Heavyweight Champ

KungFuMaster Avatar

Career:423-342
Camp: The Lone Ranger(s)
Chips:
Whether or not we want it to be a 5 rounder is irrelevant. In the case of Penn vs Diaz, each fighter has the right to contest if Dana and the ufc decided to change it to a 5 rounder. Both fighters have been preparing for a 3 round fight. Diaz will not mind the change because the 5 rounds will only benefit him. As for Penn, he has every right to keep it a 3 round fight and he would be foolish to bite on Ceasar Gracie's comment.

Nice try on Gracie's part but it would not surprise me if Penn's team accepts the challenge. I only say this because Penn's team do not know a whole lot about strategy. They may actually think this is a golden opportunity. >>> "Yeah, let's do this. This fight will prepare us for GSP."

Post #8   10/19/11 3:01:48AM   

bigrand826

MMA Regular

bigrand826 Avatar

Career:833-506
Chips:

Posted by Pookie

In a stand-up fight with no threat of the takedown i don't see BJ gassing in a 5 rounder.

Well, in a 3 round fight, I absolutely agree with you. He probably wouldn't gas in a 5 round stand-up fight, but he could fatigue enough to make a difference in the 4th and 5th. They can't make it a 5-rounder with less than 2 weeks notice, though. BJ has been training for a 3-rounder the entire time, and Nick has been since he got demoted from the title fight.

Post #9   10/19/11 8:29:41AM   

bigrand826

MMA Regular

bigrand826 Avatar

Career:833-506
Chips:

Posted by KungFuMaster

Whether or not we want it to be a 5 rounder is irrelevant. In the case of Penn vs Diaz, each fighter has the right to contest if Dana and the ufc decided to change it to a 5 rounder. Both fighters have been preparing for a 3 round fight. Diaz will not mind the change because the 5 rounds will only benefit him. As for Penn, he has every right to keep it a 3 round fight and he would be foolish to bite on Ceasar Gracie's comment.

Nice try on Gracie's part but it would not surprise me if Penn's team accepts the challenge. I only say this because Penn's team do not know a whole lot about strategy. They may actually think this is a golden opportunity. >>> "Yeah, let's do this. This fight will prepare us for GSP."

This is why I do not really support 5-round non-title main events. With all the injuries that have been occuring, it presents issues similar to this. I agree, there is no way they can make this a 5-rounder for exactly the reasons you state.
No doubt this is Gracie trying to get his guy an advantage, but I don't think BJ is that dumb. And with GSP out and Dana saying that Condit-GSP will be made when GSP is healthy, there would be plenty of time to prepare for a 5-round title fight. Of course that is assuming that the winner, regardless of who it is, gets the next title shot.

Post #10   10/19/11 8:36:14AM   

Bubbles

Come at me bro

Bubbles Avatar

Career:1,120-670
Chips:
Penn did gas is a mostly striking affair with Frankie both times. Penn and his camp knows his cardio isnt very good and will only stick to 3 rounds because he can win the first 2 and coast in the 3rd when he begins to tire.

i would love to see this as a 5 rounder...the fans deserve this. everyone wants it besides Penn, his camp, and his nuthuggers

Men be careful, female sexual predators are using a date rape drug called a Blowjob to trap men into scams called relationships.

Post #11   10/19/11 10:13:12AM   

icantthinkofanything

MMA Sensei

icantthinkofanything Avatar

Career:911-636
Camp: 360 Mafia
Chips:
Sounds good to me.

BJ better be in shape, he should take this fight by Knockout or tko doc stoppage- Diaz's facial scar tissue.

If Diaz makes it past the third round, he will have the advantage, because BJ has bad cardio in my mind, and only went champ rounds fighting well, when he wasn't being beat up (Diego, Kenflo).

Image Attachment(s):

Photo Attachment 1

Post #12   10/19/11 12:31:11PM   

ghandikush

MMA Sensei

ghandikush Avatar

Career:118-71
Chips:

Posted by Bubbles

Penn did gas is a mostly striking affair with Frankie both times. Penn and his camp knows his cardio isnt very good and will only stick to 3 rounds because he can win the first 2 and coast in the 3rd when he begins to tire.

i would love to see this as a 5 rounder...the fans deserve this. everyone wants it besides Penn, his camp, and his nuthuggers

Legally your point is bullshit. Against Diaz he would tire in a 5 round fight, against Diaz he would tire by round 3, but he i mot likely gonna knock Diaz out in a couple minutes anyway because he has no chin and his recovery isnt gonna be fast enough.

IMO Penn would have walked through Cyborg rather than getting hi legs hurt so bad he had to win by sub.

In the Frankie fight youre not giving Frankies wrestling enough respect. first fight was 3-2 decision striking, second fight was 5-0 because of the excellent timing of the wrestling.

Your gonna see Diaz THINK he can box by throwing a lot of punches with solid range and no head movement, it will give Penn fit for the whole 1-2 minute it takes Penns boxing to time Diaz.

Post #13   10/19/11 2:14:37PM   

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Career:2,327-1,229
Chips:

Posted by Bubbles

Penn and his camp knows his cardio isnt very good and will only stick to 3 rounds because he can win the first 2 and coast in the 3rd when he begins to tire.

Penn just went on record at the conference call stating that he'd love to make it a 5-round affair but has heard nothing from the UFC about doing so.

SHOCKING NEWS: Nick Diaz isn't on the call.

Post #14   10/19/11 2:22:11PM   

Pookie

Remember Paul Herrera

Pookie Avatar

Career:1,910-1,061
Chips:

Posted by Bubbles

Penn's conditioning isn't top level, but his endurance is. You may not understand what i mean by that, but it's half of what goes into cardio.

Most of the fighters gassed in Abu Dhabi, and Penn still won that fight. The second fight Penn was figured out from the get go, he didn't fade late in the fight, he was off the mark the whole time. Your Frankie Edgar example is apples and oranges.

Post #15   10/19/11 2:31:34PM   

Page 1 of 3     1     2     3