Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Gilbert Melendez Thinking About Eventual Jump to Welterweight

Print  
Posted By Message

FastKnockout

THE RUTHLESS ONE

FastKnockout Avatar

Career:1,647-919
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
It would appear that Gilbert Melendez will be making the move to the UFC once he defends his Strikeforce lightweight championship against Jorge Masvidal. While there are plenty of intriguing fights for Melendez at 155, Gilbert is thinking about a big move down the road. That being an eventual long term goal of going up to Welterweight.

LINK

Post #1   10/15/11 9:34:36PM   

Budgellism

Raptors Fan

Budgellism Avatar

Career:2,694-1,543
Chips:
Seems to me Melendez has been getting ahead of himself a lot lately.

Post #2   10/15/11 10:59:37PM   

hashyandy4

Super MW King S.O.G.

hashyandy4 Avatar

Career:604-324
Chips:

Posted by Budgellism

Seems to me Melendez has been getting ahead of himself a lot lately.

I have 2 agree with u Budge. Gil needs 2 calm down a little bit. Lets dominate Masvidal and go from there

Post #3   10/15/11 11:23:15PM   

Chael_Sonnen

Follow.The.Buzzards

Chael_Sonnen Avatar

Career:1,277-785
Chips:
Too damn small.

Post #4   10/16/11 1:02:29AM   

Khaos

TUF 2 Alternate

Khaos Avatar

Career:2,384-1,742
Camp: Men of the hour
Chips:

Posted by Chael_Sonnen

Too damn small.

This.

Post #5   10/16/11 1:27:08AM   

KungFuMaster

Heavyweight Champ

KungFuMaster Avatar

Career:423-341
Camp: The Lone Ranger(s)
Chips:
Melendez has been talking about wanting to fight the best, wanting this and that...

Just focus on the fights at hand because once you come to the ufc, there will be a lot of hungry wolves eagerly waiting to be fed.

Post #6   10/16/11 2:39:08AM   

Wolfenstein

Heavyweight Champ

Wolfenstein Avatar

Career:1,304-730
Chips:
Hasn't even beat a UFC level LW, and he's talking about WW...he couldn't even knockout Shinya Aoki in 25 minutrs...I would seriously reconsider the thought of moving up in weight.

Post #7   10/16/11 3:07:03AM   

Kpro

I STAB WATERBEDS!

Kpro Avatar

Career:2,387-1,222
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by Wolfenstein

Hasn't even beat a UFC level LW, ...he couldn't even knockout Shinya Aoki in 25 minutrs

I count a minimum of 7 "UFC level" LW's on his resume. I can understand that comment coming from someone who watches UFC only, but come on. Everyone has their own opinion, but to me that's just plain ignorant.

Instead of him joining Sakurai and Hellboy as the only 3 to beat Aoki in his last 30 fights, or the only guy to go 25 minutes with Aoki and win without getting subbed, it's `he couldn't even knock him out`? I don't understand your hate for Melendez.

And regarding the article he says it's "a long term goal" and "it's a dream. I'm allowed to dream a little bit." when talking about WW.

Last edited 10/16/11 4:06AM server time by Kpro
Edit note/reason: n/a
3 total post edits

Post #8   10/16/11 3:58:47AM   

Wolfenstein

Heavyweight Champ

Wolfenstein Avatar

Career:1,304-730
Chips:

Posted by Kpro

Posted by Wolfenstein

Hasn't even beat a UFC level LW, ...he couldn't even knockout Shinya Aoki in 25 minutrs

I count a minimum of 7 "UFC level" LW's on his resume. I can understand that comment coming from someone who watches UFC only, but come on. Everyone has their own opinion, but to me that's just plain ignorant.

Instead of him joining Sakurai and Hellboy as the only 3 to beat Aoki in his last 30 fights, or the only guy to go 25 minutes with Aoki and win without getting subbed, it's `he couldn't even knock him out`? I don't understand your hate for Melendez.

And regarding the article he says it's "a long term goal" and "it's a dream. I'm allowed to dream a little bit." when talking about WW.

To me Aoki just isn't as big a win as people make it out to be. If he were fighting in the UFC, I'd imagine he'd go something like 1-3, maybe 2-4 and then cut. Too one-dimensional to consistently win in the big leagues.

Kawajiri, Thompson, Damn, Ishida..yes I just don't see those guys as being anything more than eventual cuts in the UFC, outside of maybe Kawajiri holding a low level gatekeeper status. He had a big win over Guida five years ago...Masvidel would also be a pretty solid win.

I'm not trying to hate on the guy, I just think when you look at the competition he's faced...and there are people ranking him as the #2 LW, and a top p4p fighter in the world, I just don't see it.

Regarding the Aoki statement, what I'm saying is, the fight took place almost entirely on the feet, against someone with a notoriously bad chin, and awful striking...and in five rounds he couldn't put him away. I suppose you could say as you have...he wasn't submitted in 25 minutes...regardless I personally wasn't "impressed by his performance".

Last edited 10/16/11 1:17PM server time by Wolfenstein
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #9   10/16/11 1:05:03PM