Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Are we witnessing MMA at the highest peak it will ever become..

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

Taylor8766

Belt Contender

Taylor8766 Avatar

Career:740-512
Camp: East Coast Pitbulls
Chips:
I know that mma is still relativly new and everything but i just looked at the fighter rankings on the playground and started thinking we may be witnessing the greatest era that will ever be in mma guys like GSP, Silva, Edgar, Aldo, Jones, BJ and the list literally goes on and on, Sure there will always be the next guys that will take the torch from these fighters but right now i think were witnessing mma in its absolute prime. especially now that 90% of the top tier guys are in the UFC the possibities are endless. I just wanted to point this out and give props to theUFC and mma, and am very proud to be witnessing mma in the golden era.

Post #1   10/13/11 9:30:05PM   

Kpro

I STAB WATERBEDS!

Kpro Avatar

Career:2,360-1,218
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
I disagree. We might actually be at the highest number of hardcore fans right now that we'll ever be at, aside from the day before TUF 1 started. As they continuously stab new markets on major networks and have so many cards per year the peak is absolutely in the future and so are the best athletes; it's just the MMA fan-base will probably be casual fans by a huge majority and hardcore fans that catch every event will be the minority. We're just now finally seeing young fighters who have grown up as MMA fighters, rather than starting with one discipline. Many many more fans and better athletes with the hardcore fans becoming a much smaller percentage is what I envision.

Last edited 10/13/11 9:41PM server time by Kpro
Edit note/reason: n/a
2 total post edits

Post #2   10/13/11 9:38:09PM   

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Career:2,649-1,474
Chips:

Posted by Kpro

I disagree. We might actually be at the highest number of hardcore fans right now that we'll ever be at, aside from the day before TUF 1 started. As they continuously stab new markets on major networks and have so many cards per year the peak is absolutely in the future and so are the best athletes; it's just the MMA fan-base will probably be casual fans by a huge majority and hardcore fans that catch every event will be the minority. We're just now finally seeing young fighters who have grown up as MMA fighters, rather than starting with one discipline. Many many more fans and better athletes with the hardcore fans becoming a much smaller percentage is what I envision.

Post #3   10/13/11 9:49:37PM   

Kpro

I STAB WATERBEDS!

Kpro Avatar

Chips:

Posted by grappler0000

Posted by Kpro

Post #4   10/13/11 9:55:25PM   

BlueSkiesBurn

USCFootball.com

BlueSkiesBurn Avatar

Career:534-389
Chips:

Posted by Kpro

Let me try to say what I think he's saying.

If you look at MLB in its early days, there's no doubt that some of the best to ever play the game were around. Honus Wagner, Ty Cobb, Babe Ruth, etc..

I think that we're seeing that in MMA right now. You're not going to see fighters like this again. The Couture's, Fedor's, Silva's, etc...again. It's nice to say that we saw this kind of thing during our lifetimes.

I could be wrong, but I think that's what he's saying.

Post #5   10/13/11 10:03:45PM   

Kpro

I STAB WATERBEDS!

Kpro Avatar

Chips:
Lol that the paragraph is that incoherent. Now I won't edit it just for confusion's sake.

Post #6   10/13/11 10:05:27PM   

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Chips:
There was one sentence in there relative to the topic...and I still agree. There are some special athletes at the top right now. Ones that don't come along very often. Imagine when those athletes do come along again though, but they've been training MMA their whole lives.

Post #7   10/13/11 10:30:17PM   

Kpro

I STAB WATERBEDS!

Kpro Avatar

Chips:
Oh so now paragraphs have to have something to do with the topic?

Post #8   10/13/11 10:32:37PM   

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Kpro

Oh so now paragraphs have to have something to do with the topic?

If it's any consolation, I also agree with the non-relevant statements as well.

Post #9   10/13/11 10:34:38PM   

BlueSkiesBurn

USCFootball.com

BlueSkiesBurn Avatar

Career:534-389
Chips:

Posted by grappler0000

There was one sentence in there relative to the topic...and I still agree. There are some special athletes at the top right now. Ones that don't come along very often. Imagine when those athletes do come along again though, but they've been training MMA their whole lives.

I think he just worded the topic differently than I would have. If that's not what he's saying, then I don't know. I disagree if he believes this is MMA at its peak.

Post #10   10/13/11 10:35:18PM   

Chael_Sonnen

Follow.The.Buzzards

Chael_Sonnen Avatar

Career:1,277-785
Chips:
Highest peak you ask? Not even close buddy....sit back, grab your popcorn, and witness MMA gradually getting more solidified on a yearly basis

We haven't seen nothing yet.

Post #11   10/13/11 11:39:55PM   

Aether

Heavyweight Champ

Aether Avatar

Career:946-505
Chips:
no. Like the only coherent sentence in Kpro's post said, we are only just starting to see true MMA fighters as opposed to guys from individual disciplines learning other styles. Even our officials are not MMA officials yet. I'm waiting for the days when judges will be retired MMA fighters instead of shitty boxing judges who know nothing about Jiu Jitsu, and fighters all come from MMA gyms, and not wrestlers learning to strike, or BJJ guys learning to wrestle, then we'll really be in the golden age of MMA.

Post #12   10/14/11 3:45:44AM   

KungFuMaster

Heavyweight Champ

KungFuMaster Avatar

Career:423-341
Camp: The Lone Ranger(s)
Chips:
I happen to think mma will become saturated and we will lose some of the hard core fans to the casual group.

Regarding the talent pool: I think there will not be another GSP, Fedor, Couture, Sakuraba, Big Nog, R. Gracie, A. Silva etc. Reason being is the sport is still relatively new and barely making it out of its birth period. All the greats and legends have exploited loop holes in the sport of mma. GSP is the prime example. He has exploited the loop holes in mma to almost perfection.

In the new era of mma ( which is coming up soon), GSP wannabe fighters will not be able to exploit the wrestling in dominating fashion as GSP himself has done so thus far. As mma keeps on evolving, there will be less and less domination in the octagon >>>>>because the new breeds will keep getting better and better and the deciding factors for winning fights may come down to physical attributes like innate strength, speed, and mental toughness while strategy will have less of an impact on fights.

Post #13   10/14/11 4:23:09AM   

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Chips:

Posted by KungFuMaster

In the new era of mma ( which is coming up soon), GSP wannabe fighters will not be able to exploit the wrestling in dominating fashion as GSP himself has done so thus far. As mma keeps on evolving, there will be less and less domination in the octagon >>>>>because the new breeds will keep getting better and better and the deciding factors for winning fights may come down to physical attributes like innate strength, speed, and mental toughness while strategy will have less of an impact on fights.

That's the idea though. Competition will rise. It's like saying Chamberlain was better than Jordan because he was able to score 100 points in 1 game. It's not to say there won't be another Wilt Chamberlain. I'm sure there's been plenty of Wilts over the years, but it wasn't as noticeable. Domination doesn't mean that we've seen the best...it just means the rest of the pack needs to catch up.

Post #14   10/14/11 8:31:29AM   

prophecy033

REBEL WITH A CAUSE

prophecy033 Avatar

Career:1,916-1,148
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:

Posted by grappler0000

Posted by KungFuMaster

That's the idea though. Competition will rise. It's like saying Chamberlain was better than Jordan because he was able to score 100 points in 1 game. It's not to say there won't be another Wilt Chamberlain. I'm sure there's been plenty of Wilts over the years, but it wasn't as noticeable. Domination doesn't mean that we've seen the best...it just means the rest of the pack needs to catch up.

If Shaq and Wilt were playing against eachother today, Wilt wouldn't have been able to guard Shaq. And Shaq would have pushed Wilt off the block. But since Wilt played when the competition wasn't as good, he dominated the game and thus is considered by many to be the Greatest Center ever. Would Wilt score 100 points in a game today, no. So yeah, I agree that there will be guys as great as they are today, they just won't stand out as much as the fighters of today

#2 UFC 112 Points
#9 FFC3/AFC/NEFFN/VCS/Pancrase Combo Wagers
#12 TUF 8 FINALE Points #12 Bellator 91 / Legacy FC / CCCW Combo Points #12 M-1/FA8/CFA/GC/IGF Wagers #14 UFC 143 Diaz vs Condit Points

Post #15   10/14/11 11:33:32AM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2