Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Fedor Emelianenko Planning to Train With Vinny Magalhaes to Prepare for Jeff Monson

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

FastKnockout

TRICK 'R TREAT

FastKnockout Avatar

Career:1,856-1,025
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
It's been a long fall for Fedor Emelianenko. From a long reign as the best fighter on the planet and a position where he and his camp could afford to not bow to the UFC's demands in contract negotiation to now riding a three fight losing streak and a debate between retirement or bouts with the likes of Jeff Monson.

Fedor chose to go with the Monson option over the retirement option and now we're to the point where M-1 is talking the fight up.

First, Fedor talks his last three fights (via RT.com):

"In the three bouts I lost, I felt like I could've won. But the win somehow eluded me. I felt I could do it. I had chances, but God's will was different," says Fedor.

And on who they intend to bring in to prepare Fedor for Monson:

"Fedor will have a great training camp in the Netherlands with both strong wrestlers and stand-up fighters there. I'm going to invite Vinnie Magalhaesh. He's just won the world submission wrestling championships, and beat no less than Fabricio Werdum in the finals. So he can be considered the world's best wrestler at the moment," Fedor's promoter Vadim Finkelstein shared.

LINK

Post #1   10/13/11 1:32:23PM   

Kpro

I STAB WATERBEDS!

Kpro Avatar

Career:2,573-1,315
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by FastKnockout

I'm going to invite Vinnie Magalhaesh. He's just won the world submission wrestling championships, and beat no less than Fabricio Werdum in the finals. So he can be considered the world's best wrestler at the moment," Fedor's promoter Vadim Finkelstein shared.

Ummm.... I don't think winning the world `submission` wrestling championships makes you the world's best wrestler. But Finkelstein never lies, so I must be wrong on this one.

Post #2   10/13/11 4:41:29PM   

KungFuMaster

Heavyweight Champ

KungFuMaster Avatar

Career:423-342
Camp: The Lone Ranger(s)
Chips:

Posted by Kpro

Posted by FastKnockout

I'm going to invite Vinnie Magalhaesh. He's just won the world submission wrestling championships, and beat no less than Fabricio Werdum in the finals. So he can be considered the world's best wrestler at the moment," Fedor's promoter Vadim Finkelstein shared.

Ummm.... I don't think winning the world `submission` wrestling championships makes you the world's best wrestler. But Finkelstein never lies, so I must be wrong on this one.

Fedor should not be worrying about the wrestling aspect. Monson will probably take him down if they clinch. What Fedor should be concentrating on is his striking and submissions for this match.

Post #3   10/13/11 4:59:54PM   

Kpro

I STAB WATERBEDS!

Kpro Avatar

Career:2,573-1,315
Chips:

Posted by KungFuMaster

Posted by Kpro

Posted by FastKnockout

Fedor should not be worrying about the wrestling aspect. Monson will probably take him down if they clinch. What Fedor should be concentrating on is his striking and submissions for this match.

I dunno, did you see the Cormier vs. Monson match? Cormier wiped the mat with Monson for 15 minutes and avoided all takedowns. I just think if Fedor wants to work on his `wrestling` he should invite a guy like Cormier instead of Magalhaes. But I'm not Finkelstein, so I'm probably wrong.

Post #4   10/13/11 5:07:45PM   

Pookie

Remember Paul Herrera

Pookie Avatar

Career:1,910-1,061
Chips:
When was the last time Fedor was taken down from the clinch?

Post #5   10/13/11 5:23:20PM   

tallica62

MMA Sensei

tallica62 Avatar

Career:2,022-1,244
Camp: Playground Bullies
Chips:
I say smart move Fedor... ground is his biggest weakness... BJJ>Sambo

Post #6   10/13/11 5:26:09PM   

ghandikush

MMA Sensei

ghandikush Avatar

Career:118-71
Chips:

Posted by Pookie

Lindland, before he grabbed the ropes.

Post #7   10/13/11 6:00:56PM   

tcunningham

Combat Sport and Fitness

tcunningham Avatar

Career:519-361
Chips:
i think fedor has a ton of holes in his game, but the ground is the biggest for sure. he needs to work on his submission defense, takedown defense and getting back to his feet when hes on his back. monson would love to grind out fedor from the top just like bigfoot did. fedor can win this if he stays outside and doesnt get to wild with his striking like hes been known to do.

Post #8   10/13/11 6:41:38PM   

KungFuMaster

Heavyweight Champ

KungFuMaster Avatar

Chips:

Posted by ghandikush

Posted by Pookie

Lindland, before he grabbed the ropes.

I think Randleman took Fedor down by way of suplex from a clinch as well.

Post #9   10/13/11 7:38:08PM   

KungFuMaster

Heavyweight Champ

KungFuMaster Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Kpro

Posted by KungFuMaster

Posted by Kpro

Posted by FastKnockout

I dunno, did you see the Cormier vs. Monson match? Cormier wiped the mat with Monson for 15 minutes and avoided all takedowns. I just think if Fedor wants to work on his `wrestling` he should invite a guy like Cormier instead of Magalhaes. But I'm not Finkelstein, so I'm probably wrong.

I don't know if I made myself clear. I just think Fedor will get taken down anyway even if he brings in a caliber wrestler like Comier which is why I propose for him to just stick to striking and submissions for this fight.

Fedor does not center his weight like most wrestlers. He fights very light on his feet and if he was to fight like a wrestler, it would change his whole fighting style. I say just focus on what he is already good at...

Post #10   10/13/11 7:46:13PM   

Manak

Belt Contender

Manak Avatar

Career:164-106
Camp: UFC-PRIDE-MMA
Chips:

Posted by tallica62

I say smart move Fedor... ground is his biggest weakness... BJJ>Sambo

Posted by tcunningham

i think fedor has a ton of holes in his game, but the ground is the biggest for sure. he needs to work on his submission defense, takedown defense and getting back to his feet when hes on his back. monson would love to grind out fedor from the top just like bigfoot did. fedor can win this if he stays outside and doesnt get to wild with his striking like hes been known to do.

Huh? he was on the ground with big nog for a dec win and didnt get subbed, not to mention he has 16 sub wins.. I wouldnt say his ground is the biggest weakness. he has only been subbed once and its wasnt like he got outclassed on the ground, he was trying to finish n got caught. Not to mention fedor has been very hard to take down, very few have been able to do it.

I think age just caught up too him and not much he can do now

Post #11   10/14/11 12:42:19AM   

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Career:1,566-910
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
I'm thinking the "wrestling" part got lost in translation. I read it as "grappler."

There really is no doubt that Vinny is the best grappler in the world right now.

Post #12   10/14/11 12:49:34AM   

jiujitsufreak74

,,[],, *******,,[],,

jiujitsufreak74 Avatar

Career:1,056-572
Chips:

Posted by bjj1605

I'm thinking the "wrestling" part got lost in translation. I read it as "grappler."

There really is no doubt that Vinny is the best grappler in the world right now.

I was just about to post this myself. i think he meant grappling. since he lost to Werdum, i believe he wants to work his submission offense and defense. that and after the way bigfoot manhandled him on the ground i think he just want to focus on his grappling, not just wrestling in particular.

Post #13   10/14/11 1:59:58AM   

FlashyG

Heavyweight Champ

FlashyG Avatar

Career:2,343-1,317
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
I'm surprised Monson is fighting again so soon, I thought there'd be some kind of punishment for his getting caught greasing at the same mentioned tournament.

Post #14   10/14/11 2:04:06AM   

ncordless

MODulation

ncordless Avatar

Career:1,916-1,093
Chips:

Posted by bjj1605

I'd love to see Vinny and Roger Gracie go at it either gi or no gi.

Post #15   10/14/11 2:23:09AM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2