Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Jeff Curran's last chance

Print  
Will Jeff Curran defeat Jorgenson and make his place in the UFC?
Yes 5 19%
No 22 81%
Posted By Message

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Career:1,481-868
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
I am 35-13-1 and I think its still a pretty good record. When you look at the losses, aside from the Uriah Faber glitch, every fight I had was competitive. A record it just that, a record. Talk about the three decision losses I had in the WEC-Benavidez, Mizugaki and Mike Brown. Those three fights were so close that basically nine people in the world decided that I was the loser in those fights. I came out with barely a mark on me, I fell I lost the Mike Brown fight fair and square, I gave up a few things I shouldn’t have, Benavidez was what it was and I definitely feel I won the Mizugaki fight. If I was getting finished off by mid level and upper level guys and these guys were just making a fool of me then I would know my place but I am very confident in what I am capable of and very confident that I belong in the upper echelon of the division. I’m not coming back to the UFC like some washed up WEC veteran that they are squeezing a last fight out of. I feel like they are giving me three months notice, and really allowing me to step up to the plate like this they (The UFC) are saying “Ok Jeff, you wanted this you got it. Now show us what you got.” I intend on doing that.

Really good interview. I agree with him that the UFC is giving him a legitimate chance to prove his worth. All of his loses were close. He could have won any of those fights that he lost by decision. Even against Faber, he dominated the first round.

http://www.rattling-the-cage.com/press.php?id=47&mode=view

Post #1   10/11/11 8:21:43PM   

DrivenDavies15

MMA Sensei

DrivenDavies15 Avatar

Career:1,293-734
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
i'd love to see him win to be honest with you and Scott Jorgenson is a perfect test to decide if he can still compete with top guys. WAR CURRAN

Post #2   10/11/11 8:56:01PM   

sbulldavid

Heavyweight Champ

sbulldavid Avatar

Career:1,336-780
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:
Jeff Curran had his run and I love to root for a tough fighter but I think his best days were three or four years ago, and maybe just because the game has evolved more.

Post #3   10/11/11 9:35:14PM   

DeadHead988

MMA Sensei

DeadHead988 Avatar

Career:367-289
Camp: Midwest Training Center
Chips:
I've been to his gym a few times and I would love to see him do well, but Jorgenson's just too damn good.

Post #4   10/11/11 9:52:39PM   

KungFuMaster

Heavyweight Champ

KungFuMaster Avatar

Career:423-341
Camp: The Lone Ranger(s)
Chips:
When Jeff said this is his last chance at the big show, I think he already accepted the fact he could lose. This is not the mentality you want to have going into a fight. I don't care if you are the underdog. If there is any chance of you beating your opponent, it starts with the mind. Your mind has to believe it before the body can do it.

Mental weakness or strength is one of the strongest deciding factors in any professional sport. If belief is on your side and you have the momentum in your favor, you or your team can beat the bests in the world.

Post #5   10/11/11 11:54:12PM   

Bubbles

Come at me bro

Bubbles Avatar

Career:1,120-670
Chips:

Posted by KungFuMaster

When Jeff said this is his last chance at the big show, I think he already accepted the fact he could lose. This is not the mentality you want to have going into a fight. I don't care if you are the underdog. If there is any chance of you beating your opponent, it starts with the mind. Your mind has to believe it before the body can do it.

Mental weakness or strength is one of the strongest deciding factors in any professional sport. If belief is on your side and you have the momentum in your favor, you or your team can beat the bests in the world.

or its a motivating factor to get the W so he will train harder and be more prepared than he has been in recent fights. coming in with a mentality of having your back against the wall generally works out (Tito, Danzig, Hunt for example)...and while yes there are the Stevensons of the world who cant put it together, i would think the former has a higher win %

Last edited 10/12/11 12:05AM server time by bubbles
Edit note/reason: n/a

Men be careful, female sexual predators are using a date rape drug called a Blowjob to trap men into scams called relationships.

Post #6   10/12/11 12:04:34AM   

KungFuMaster

Heavyweight Champ

KungFuMaster Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Bubbles

Posted by KungFuMaster

or its a motivating factor to get the W so he will train harder and be more prepared than he has been in recent fights. coming in with a mentality of having your back against the wall generally works out (Tito, Danzig, Hunt for example)...and while yes there are the Stevensons of the world who cant put it together, i would think the former has a higher win %

I have to disagree. You should mentally prepare yourself to believe you can win. For one, it helps your confidence and confidence in your game. Two, you will be less anxious and energy will flow through your body more fluidly.

I have competed in sports throughout the first half of my life and from my experience (and many athletes will tell you this as well) when you feel tense, it is because the momentum is on the other side and you feel somewhat helpless. Many of the things you were able to do before - you will not be able to do them effectively when you are under pressure and feeling tense. It will take a good play or a lucky play - or in this case, a good punch to turn things around.

That is why there is always time outs in sports. Time outs give the coaches time to motivate his or her team and make them believe they can still win >>>>

Which brings up another point in mma competition. You need to have a good corner-man - someone you trust and believe in - someone who can give you a a few tricks to turn the fight around - someone who can motivate you and make you believe in yourself........Because once you do not believe in yourself like the Penns of the mma world, you will simply lose miserably even though you have all the tools to win.

Post #7   10/12/11 1:38:01AM   

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Career:1,481-868
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:

Posted by DeadHead988

I've been to his gym a few times and I would love to see him do well, but Jorgenson's just too damn good.

Maybe I've met you DeadHead. I've been training at his gym for about 4 years now.

Post #8   10/12/11 3:29:22AM   

cowcatcher

Steady MODdin'

cowcatcher Avatar

Career:2,457-1,410
Chips:

Posted by KungFuMaster

What you missed a few months back was Jeff saying if he didn't get another shot at the UFC he was retiring. His back has been against the wall, and time is catching up with him and he seems to be a realist not a dreamer. That approach can work just as well as the power of positive thinking. Some guys perform better under pressure. Jeff is one of the more successful fighters turned gym owners/entrepreneurs in the business that doesn't have a big name like Couture or Wand. I think he's been in the game long enough to prepare for everything, and I'm sure he knows what he responds to better than you or I. I don't disagree that a positive outlook can help, but in this case he's been talking about this for awhile and his personality isn't one that needs reinforcing.

Post #9   10/12/11 11:18:02AM   

KungFuMaster

Heavyweight Champ

KungFuMaster Avatar

Chips:

Posted by cowcatcher

Posted by KungFuMaster

What you missed a few months back was Jeff saying if he didn't get another shot at the UFC he was retiring. His back has been against the wall, and time is catching up with him and he seems to be a realist not a dreamer. That approach can work just as well as the power of positive thinking. Some guys perform better under pressure. Jeff is one of the more successful fighters turned gym owners/entrepreneurs in the business that doesn't have a big name like Couture or Wand. I think he's been in the game long enough to prepare for everything, and I'm sure he knows what he responds to better than you or I. I don't disagree that a positive outlook can help, but in this case he's been talking about this for awhile and his personality isn't one that needs reinforcing.

I am all for being a realist but IMO, when it comes to competition, one should mentally prepare one's mindset to believe one can win. I am sure Jeff knows what he is doing. I am just one of those who believe>>> if you believe in something - you can do it despite the odds.

Post #10   10/12/11 3:04:06PM   

cowcatcher

Steady MODdin'

cowcatcher Avatar

Chips:

Posted by KungFuMaster

Posted by cowcatcher

Posted by KungFuMaster

I am all for being a realist but IMO, when it comes to competition, one should mentally prepare one's mindset to believe one can win. I am sure Jeff knows what he is doing. I am just one of those who believe>>> if you believe in something - you can do it despite the odds.

I don't disagree that it can help, but if you never prepare to lose, it probably is a lot harder to shake off when you do. I feel it's best to prepare for anything, it makes it that much easier to deal with defeat, and in this game 50% of the guys lose. I see your point though, and I'm not saying it's wrong at all, there's is definitely something to be said for a good mindset. I think older folks like Curran and myself tend to look at things differently than younger people though. Time jades us.

Post #11   10/12/11 3:14:28PM   

KungFuMaster

Heavyweight Champ

KungFuMaster Avatar

Chips:

Posted by cowcatcher

Posted by KungFuMaster

Posted by cowcatcher

Posted by KungFuMaster

I don't disagree that it can help, but if you never prepare to lose, it probably is a lot harder to shake off when you do. I feel it's best to prepare for anything, it makes it that much easier to deal with defeat, and in this game 50% of the guys lose. I see your point though, and I'm not saying it's wrong at all, there's is definitely something to be said for a good mindset. I think older folks like Curran and myself tend to look at things differently than younger people though. Time jades us.

But you don't even know how old I am. I'm 37.

Post #12   10/12/11 3:41:02PM   

cowcatcher

Steady MODdin'

cowcatcher Avatar

Chips:
Then the weight of the world just hasn't crushed your spirit yet.

Post #13   10/12/11 3:41:51PM   

KungFuMaster

Heavyweight Champ

KungFuMaster Avatar

Chips:

Posted by cowcatcher

Then the weight of the world just hasn't crushed your spirit yet.

Oh it has - many times. But I always manage to bounce back on my feet.

I am a happy guy. It takes a lot to bum me out.

Post #14   10/12/11 3:50:32PM