Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

MMAPlayground Interview Series - Vol. 7 (Brian Foster)

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

gartface

Heavyweight Champ

gartface Avatar

Career:1,406-898
Camp: Hand Grenade Hillbillies
Chips:
As with any successful professional, mixed martial artists eat, sleep and breathe their craft. They put everything on the line when they wake up, hit the gym and pour their blood, sweat and tears into the sport we all love. When they enter that cage, for the fan, it's all about the entertainment, but these athletes go through the daily rigors with more in mind. For some fighters, it's a paycheck. For others, it's the glitz and glamour, but for some it's a lifestyle fueled by a deep passion and connection to the sport of mixed martial arts.

In our newest site feature, MMAPlayground would like to introduce you to some of these men and women of MMA that you may not know much about.

Our mission? To introduce. To educate. To spread the word.

Brian Foster is a mixed martial artist who is also a five time UFC veteran. He has recently recovered from some terrible setbacks in his health, and has successfully resumed his career with a victory against Jack Mason at Cage Warriors 44. Brian was granted two tune-up fights by the UFC in preparation for his return. He will be taking on Laverne Clark at CCCW 7 on Saturday October 15. He took time out of his training schedule to answer some questions.

MMAPG: Brian, thanks for taking some time to answer a few questions. First off, congratulations on your win last weekend against Jack Mason. You’re coming off some brutal setbacks. How are you feeling, and how good did it feel to get back into the cage?

FOSTER: It felt great! It's a good feeling to get a win after overcoming some injuries. I mean it sucks it wasn't for the UFC but a win’s a win not matter the organization.

MMAPG: The UFC has granted you the opportunity, given your long lay-off, to compete in a couple “tune-up” fights. That’s not something you see a whole lot in the UFC. How did the idea come about?

FOSTER: I think it had a lot to do with my coach as well as the UFC. They wanted to make sure I was totally healthy and capable of competing at a high level without being such a liability to the UFC.

MMAPG: According to reports, you’ve got another week and a half until your next fight. How’s training going for that?

FOSTER: It's going great! I'm going into this fight with some good momentum and I’m looking to utilize all my tools in this one! I feel great!

MMAPG: So let’s backpedal for a moment. I probably should have asked this sooner, but if you could, give our readers a glimpse into your background. Where did you grow up, and how did you get into MMA?

FOSTER: I grew up in a little hick town in Oklahoma. Sallisaw, Oklahoma! It's a pretty big wrestling town and we have produced some good wrestlers. I got my start in 2006 when a buddy I used to wrestle with in grade school asked if I would like to start training MMA. My brother had just passed away and I had some aggression I needed to get rid of, so I opted to give it a try. I fell in love with the sport; it totally healed me. I had my 1st and 2nd pro fight June 14, 2006. It was the start of it all.

MMAPG: Do you have anyone that has inspired or motivated you in your career?

FOSTER: My little brother that passed that year has always been my inspiration, and my sons are my motivation. I want to give them a better life than I had and in my situation I just have to beat people up to do that! I love my job!

MMAPG: If you don’t mind, could you give our readers an idea of what a day in the life of Brian Foster is like?

FOSTER: 6 hours of crazy training and a reasonable amount of rest and rehab!

MMAPG: Where are you training at these days? Who are some of the people you train with on a daily basis?

FOSTER: I train out of Marc Fiore's new gym Fiore's MMA with some of my old training partners from the Hitsquad. One of my great friends and training partners, Dustin Jacoby, just got signed by the UFC the other day so I'm surrounded by some great guys.

MMAPG: Let’s step away from fighting for a second. What are some of your hobbies? What keeps you occupied through the day when you’re not training or fighting?

FOSTER: I train hard so if I'm not in the gym while I'm in camp I'm resting up for the next practice. If I'm not in fight camp then I enjoy all the time with my sons that I can get. Wrestling tournaments, football games, etc.

MMAPG: Let’s say that you have access to a time machine. What would you do with it?

FOSTER: I wish I knew the things I know now when I first started fighting. If I could go back I would train properly for the fights that I lost early on.

MMAPG: If you weren’t a mixed martial artist, what would be your absolute dream job?

FOSTER: Wrestling coach for my son’s team! I love watching and helping him anyway possible. The kid’s super talented and he loves it when I'm there.

MMAPG: Are you a mixed martial arts fan? Do you watch a lot of events? If so, who are some of your favorite fighters to watch?

FOSTER: I’m a huge fan! I watch all the events I can. I don't have a particular fighter that's my favorite! I like styles and I think the more well-rounded fighter always has the advantage.

MMAPG: Okay, we’ll let you go after one more question. I know you’re probably crazy busy. If you could avenge one loss on your record, with whom would it be against?

FOSTER: Chris Lytle! Just because I know he likes battles and I really feel like I could have given him a better fight than I did. I'm sure he doesn't feel the same I mean after all he did get the submission of the night award!

MMAPG: Thanks again for taking some time to talk with us, Brian. We’re all eager and excited to see you back in the Octagon. Good luck in your next fight! Is there anything else you would like to add?

FOSTER: Thanks, it's always a pleasure! I would like to extend some gratitude to my family for putting up with me during the down time I had. I’m sure it wasn't easy having to watch me mope around because I couldn't train or fight. My Coach, Marc Fiore and my teammates for the preparation. The MMA Clinic in London for their help here recently, and last, but definitely not least, the fans that hung in there and believed in my return and urged me to keep moving forward! Thanks Everyone!

Follow @BrianFoster170 on Twitter
Brian Foster on Sherdog.com

DISCLAIMER: Views and opinions expressed in this interview are those of the interviewer and interviewee and are not necessarily those of the staff or affiliates of MMAPlayground.com.

Last edited 10/11/11 10:04AM server time by emfleek
Edit note/reason: n/a
2 total post edits

Post #1   10/11/11 9:59:02AM   

Playground_Samurai

I EAT POOP

Playground_Samurai Avatar

Career:2,359-1,249
Chips:
One of my favorite fighters. Guy goes in there and throws the f*** down every time. Always look forward to his fights. Awesome job getting an interview with him. Thanks guys

Last edited 10/11/11 11:05AM server time by gspfan
Edit note/reason: typo

Post #2   10/11/11 10:09:01AM   

gartface

Heavyweight Champ

gartface Avatar

Chips:

Posted by gspfan

One of my favorite fighters. Guy goes in there and throws the f*** every time. Always look forward to his fights. Awesome job getting an interview with him. Thanks guys

Yeah, I'm a fan of his as well for the same reason. He's got power, grappling prowess, and a willingness to throw.

Thanks for the support gspfan

Post #3   10/11/11 10:17:35AM   

ncordless

MODulation

ncordless Avatar

Career:1,868-1,068
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
When Foster is in the cage, it's always a great fight to watch!

Post #4   10/11/11 10:42:24AM   

Twenty20Dollars

Heavyweight Champ

Career:1,572-1,001
Chips:
This kid always brings it. Been in some exciting fights win or lose.

Post #5   10/11/11 10:50:04AM   

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Career:2,276-1,203
Chips:
I'd say it's impossible to *not* like him. Isn't it?

Last edited 10/11/11 10:56AM server time by emfleek
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #6   10/11/11 10:55:50AM   

gartface

Heavyweight Champ

gartface Avatar

Chips:

Posted by emfleek

I'd say it's impossible to *not* like him, isn't it?

I'm sure someone on here will find a way.

<Queue the trolls that found their way to this site last night>

Post #7   10/11/11 10:56:34AM   

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Career:2,276-1,203
Chips:

Posted by gartface

*cleans the blood off of troll trap*

They won't be comin' round these here parts anymo'.

Post #8   10/11/11 10:59:50AM   

FastKnockout

$ Impin' Ain't Easy $

FastKnockout Avatar

Career:1,709-955
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
Nice! He's a real family man, and family is one of the most important things you have in life. I'm happy for his son, must be amazing to have a dad like Foster who supports you like he does. Great guy. Hope he wins his next fight in dominating fashion.

Post #9   10/11/11 12:28:55PM   

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Career:2,732-1,514
Chips:

Post #10   10/11/11 12:42:02PM   

Poor_Franklin

Slight Reach Advantage

Poor_Franklin Avatar

Career:1,459-835
Chips:

Posted by emfleek

Posted by gartface

*cleans the blood off of troll trap*

They won't be comin' round these here parts anymo'.

UFC 151: Never Forget

Post #11   10/11/11 1:09:45PM   

kopower

Heavyweight Champ

kopower Avatar

Career:2,246-1,208
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
I've always liked the way he fought. Hope he wins his next fight and his return to the octagon is a triumphant one.

What you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in the playground is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no props, and may the mods have mercy on your soul.

Post #12   10/11/11 5:41:57PM   

DeadHead988

MMA Sensei

DeadHead988 Avatar

Career:367-289
Camp: Midwest Training Center
Chips:
I remember watching his ufc debut and I've been a fan ever since!

Post #13   10/11/11 6:57:04PM   

Budgellism

Raptors Fan

Budgellism Avatar

Career:2,754-1,581
Chips:

Posted by emfleek

I'd say it's impossible to *not* like him. Isn't it?

That's the vibe I'm getting here

Post #14   10/11/11 7:13:31PM   

Budgellism

Raptors Fan

Budgellism Avatar

Career:2,754-1,581
Chips:

Posted by DeadHead988

I remember watching his ufc debut and I've been a fan ever since!

This!

That fight with Story was awesome.

Post #15   10/11/11 7:18:50PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2