Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

One hopes columnist's tirade on UFC the result of lack of knowledge

Print  
Posted By Message

zephead

The Dancer

zephead Avatar

Career:541-400
Camp: Ground'N'Pound
Chips:
Columns (opinion pieces) are some of my favorite things to write and I appreciate, but don't always agree with fellow columnists across the country — no matter the level.

LINK

"To me the records were just a starting point," recalls John Paul Jones, "The most important thing was always the stage show. So many great nights. At our worst we were still better than most. At our best we could just wipe the floor with the lot of them. It was just a very good live band."

Post #1   5/10/07 3:45:49PM   

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Career:3,020-1,645
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Post #2   5/10/07 5:35:44PM   

mayweatherjr1

Learning to Sprawl

mayweatherjr1 Avatar

Career:14-11
Chips:
de lahoya ...SPORTSMANSHIP??? he should talk to rush st pierre about sportsmanship and skill...what a clown...mma is going to change the world in the next decade keeping kids off the streets and disciplined what a bozo...he should be fired

Post #3   5/10/07 8:04:39PM   

Aether

Heavyweight Champ

Aether Avatar

Career:946-505
Chips:
yeah it really disgusts me that Freeman is getting paid good money to write that crap. If you want to denigrate the sport from a standpoint that contains some semblance of logic, be my guest. I may disagree with you, but at least I will walk away with my respect intact. After reading that complete tripe and what I pray was nothing more than sensationalism in an attempt to hype up the mayweather-de la hoya match (not that that would excuse what he wrote, but somehow I would feel better believing he had intentionally prostituted himself than that such a level of ignorance could not only exist, but that someone could be paid a hefty salary to voice it to millions of people.) I really truly prayed that CBS would find someone suitable to replace him... perhaps a highschool student who did a good job writing a column on the lack of diversity in their cafeteria. That may sound like a joke, but I've honestly seen better writing from grade 10 students and those free coffee-break news fliers.

It really disgusts me that any news agency would stoop to allowing such garbage to be voiced because it attracts attention.

Post #4   5/10/07 8:06:03PM   

PeteD

"Sweet Pete"

Career:1,656-1,095
Chips:
This article disgusted me. I had some feedback (Constructive criticism) for Mr. Freeman. This is what I wrote:

"I just finished reading your column on "De La Hoya-Mayweather will separate boxing from thuggish UFC" and I find it hard to believe that a nationally recognized columnist such as yourself could be so ignorant to the sport that is Mixed-Martial-Arts (MMA).

MMA was originally called Pankration and was an olympic event in 648 A.D. It incorporates both striking and grappling arts into a form of art. One of the cornerstones in MMA is the sport of boxing; this in addition to kickboxing and wrestling/jiu-jitsu.

The current UFC Heavyweight Champion Randy Couture is a Four time World Team member, Pan American Games champion, Four time National Champion in Greco-Roman, three time All-American in college, two time runner-up at NCAA National Championships. Alternate for the Olympic team 4 times. Current welterweight competitor Karo Parisyan is a Judo Black Belt, Grappling World Black Belt Judo International Champion/ Pan American Judo Silver Medalist/ Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu National Champion. Another welterweight competitor named Josh Koscheck is a four time NCAA Div. 1 All American and 2001 National Champion.

To call these athletes "hooligans" and and say these competitors have no skill is undermining their very athleticism, the time, and training they put into this sport. It takes over ten years of training to be awarded a black belt in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu. These fighters are the modern day Roman gladiators that you so hastily compared them to.

Columnists like yourself need to open your mind and try to learn something about the sport that you decide to report on. Try going to a MMA gym, take a lesson or two, Then criticize. But chances are, you'd probably change your mind."

Post #5   5/10/07 10:21:24PM   

Ogre365

MMA Regular

Career:84-60
Chips:
"Mixed martial arts will never be as good as boxing on its worst day. Many of the ultimates are nothing but thugs and ruffians. All that league has done is take a few former nightclub bouncers, knuckle crackers and parolees, put on some fancy TV graphics and told them, "Kick the other guy in the nuts."

"No skill is required to knee someone in the groin (and it happens despite rules stating it is illegal). I'm kneeing Doyel in the groin now. See, was that difficult? "

I got three things to say about this idiot. First what he said was just ignorant. Second what decade is he living in, groin strikes have been outlawed for a long time. And finally boxers have inadvertantly on several occassions struck there opponents below the belt, it happens in these types of sports.

I guess I got one more thing to add. I see more class in the majority of MMA competitors than most other professional sports combined.

Post #6   5/11/07 2:50:45PM   

CaseyKrajenka

MMA Regular

CaseyKrajenka Avatar

Career:20-12
Chips:
That has to be one of the most sensless articles I have ever read!!!

This guy needs to take some time and actually watch an MMA event, because reading what he wrote you can tell he has never taken the time to sit down and enjoy a good MMA fight.

To say that, and I qoute, "Mixed martial arts will never be as good as boxing on its worst day. Many of the, "ULTIMATES" (as he refered to them) are nothing but thugs and ruffians...." is an outrage! This article makes me furious to even read.

I am not taking nothing away from the sport of boxing because it will always be a great sport, but to say that MMA will never be as good as it is a bunch of garbage.

Then he goes on to insult the fighters by saying, "It requires no skill to knee someone in the groin, which goes on quite frequently..."

WHERE THE HELL DID HE GET THIS FROM?!?!

Of all of the MMA events I have watched I have seen maybe 1 or 2 knees to the groin

What about punches to the groin, these happen just as frequently, if not more often, then an MMA fighter taking an accidental knee to the groin.

Mike Freeman is by far the worst coloumnists I have ever read, and I will be sure never to read another article by him because I'm sure it will be full of uneducated, and uncalled for insults against a legitimate sport.

Post #7   5/11/07 3:16:25PM   

Ogre365

MMA Regular

Career:84-60
Chips:
I also sent an email to Mr. Freeman, however I tried to be more respectful to him. People sending him racist mail filled with massive profanity just helps to prove his point. That doesn't mean that I didn't voice my opinion strongly.

"I'm not going to send hate mail. Because those that do will just reinforce your point about us being ogres and thugs. Your second article made a point to show all the mistakes in people's spelling and grammar. Well just because you can write better than the general population does not mean you are an expert on pugilist sports. Maybe you know your boxing; maybe boxing is more refined in some ways. But the fact that you stereotyped MMA competitors as thugs just shows your ignorance. I am not saying you are stupid because you obviously aren't. But you can't call someone with a college degree in psychology a dumb thug. You also can't call someone with a degree in mathematics an ogre. If you think MMA is devoid of these people then maybe you should get to know them before you pass judgment. Do your research next time because stereotyping MMA competitors as thugs is like the police stereotyping black men as car thieves. We don't like being stereotyped and neither do you."

Strong but not over the top.

Post #8   5/25/07 3:56:12PM