Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

After UFC 136 loss, Kenny Florian undecided on fighting future, taking 'some time' off

Print  
Posted By Message

Budgellism

Randy

Budgellism Avatar

Career:2,847-1,629
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
After a UFC 136 loss and an unsuccessful third bid at a UFC title, Kenny Florian isn't sure what's next.

In a statement released today, the 35-year-old said he's taking some time away from the sport, though he's not sure if that could lead to a retirement.

Florian, who suffered a unanimous-decision loss to featherweight champ Jose Aldo at this past weekend's pay-per-view event in Houston, said that decision will come at a later time.

"First, I'd like to thank Jose Aldo for giving me the opportunity to compete for the featherweight title last Saturday," Florian stated. "I gave the fight my all, but Jose won that night. I would also like to thank the UFC, Dana White and Lorenzo Fertitta for their continued support.

"I am passionate about mixed martial arts, and I love being involved in this sport. It is incredible to see how much MMA has grown and that, today, there are millions of people who enjoy the UFC as much as I do.

"Second, everyone is asking what is next for me. The only response I can give right now is that I'm going to take some time. I want to rest, spend some time with my family and friends, and then evaluate all of my options. I'll speak with Dana, and my manager, Glenn Robinson, and we will figure out my next move. When I make that decision, my fans will be the first to know. One way or another, you haven’t seen the last of Ken-Flo!"

LINK

Post #1   10/10/11 6:26:41PM   

KungFuMaster

Heavyweight Champ

KungFuMaster Avatar

Career:423-342
Camp: The Lone Ranger(s)
Chips:
I like to see Kenny come back to 155. I would like him to put on more muscle mass which means he would have to cut more weight for fight night - which also means he can probably pack on more after the weigh ins.

IMO, the key factor for Florian's misfortunes is his strength. He needs to develop more muscle mass without jeopardizing his speed and flexibility. I felt he could have won against Aldo. He did everything correctly in that fight but he was simply too physically weak to take down Aldo.

Come back to 155, put on muscle mass, cut more before fight and put on more after the weigh ins and maybe then he can finally wear that belt around his waist.

Post #2   10/11/11 2:36:27AM   

Pookie

Remember Paul Herrera

Pookie Avatar

Career:1,894-1,054
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
The guy is just not built to wrestle. He needs to stop trying to wrestle people who have phenomenal Takedown Defense. His strategies are horrible from an implementation point of view.

Post #3   10/11/11 10:39:26AM   

ncordless

MODulation

ncordless Avatar

Career:1,903-1,083
Chips:
He's gonna be in the booth.

Post #4   10/11/11 10:43:41AM   

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Career:2,310-1,223
Chips:

Posted by ncordless

He's gonna be in the booth.

That's my thought as well.

Ladies and gentleman, please welcome piece #1 to the UFC's secondary broadcasting team.

Post #5   10/11/11 10:47:30AM   

KungFuMaster

Heavyweight Champ

KungFuMaster Avatar

Career:423-342
Camp: The Lone Ranger(s)
Chips:
If Florian has the choice of being a commentator for the ufc, he should take it. He is not getting any younger. The LW division and below are filled with younger, stronger and faster guys.

Post #6   10/11/11 11:46:03AM