Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Can Sport Without Spectacle Sell? Ask Frankie Edgar And Chael Sonnen

Print  
Posted By Message

FastKnockout

THE RUTHLESS ONE

FastKnockout Avatar

Career:1,937-1,077
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
Good read from Nate Wilcox about why MMA fans can slight the greatness of Frankie Edgar while they go wild for the cheap stunts of Chael Sonnen.

LINK

Post #1   10/10/11 5:39:40PM   

Chael_Sonnen

Follow.The.Buzzards

Chael_Sonnen Avatar

Career:1,277-785
Chips:
Cha-Ching $$$$$$$

Post #2   10/10/11 5:41:49PM   

jiujitsufreak74

,,[],, *******,,[],,

jiujitsufreak74 Avatar

Career:1,056-572
Chips:
i think a big thing they are overlooking is the weight class. historically, in both boxing and MMA, the heavier weight classes sell the PPV. it is something about two larger men fighting that draws more casual fans. of course, Chael's self promotion helps in bounds, but an overlooked variable is that Frankie Edgar walks around at 155 while Chael walks around over 200.

Post #3   10/10/11 6:27:28PM   

BelXavier420

Standup Guy

BelXavier420 Avatar

Career:860-612
Camp: TN Brawlers
Chips:
This is not the WWF I don't want to hear the fighter talk, just fight.

Post #4   10/11/11 12:42:53AM   

ghandikush

MMA Sensei

ghandikush Avatar

Career:118-71
Chips:

Posted by BelXavier420

This is not the WWF I don't want to hear the fighter talk, just fight.

Noone here wants to hear that. Take that rational thinking somewhere else.

Post #5   10/11/11 10:17:00PM   

timothyera

Learning to Sprawl

timothyera Avatar

Career:235-187
Chips:
I really enjoy the entertainment side of MMA, and support what Chael Sonnen and others do 100%. I would rather be emotionally involved in the fights any day. Plus you know when they step into the cage its real and whatever they were doing to try and sell the fight doesn't matter when the bell rings. Its the same reason The Ultimate Fighter is the only reality show I watch. Through all the bullshit on that show, come of it could be fake, some of it could be real, at the end of the day they fucking fight. I just don't understand people who get mad at someone like Sonnen when he talks a bunch of shit. If you don't like it, fine, just ignore that stuff and watch the fights. Whats the big deal?

Post #6   10/12/11 10:17:03AM   

ghandikush

MMA Sensei

ghandikush Avatar

Career:118-71
Chips:

Posted by timothyera

I really enjoy the entertainment side of MMA, and support what Chael Sonnen and others do 100%. I would rather be emotionally involved in the fights any day. Plus you know when they step into the cage its real and whatever they were doing to try and sell the fight doesn't matter when the bell rings. Its the same reason The Ultimate Fighter is the only reality show I watch. Through all the bullshit on that show, come of it could be fake, some of it could be real, at the end of the day they fucking fight. I just don't understand people who get mad at someone like Sonnen when he talks a bunch of shit. If you don't like it, fine, just ignore that stuff and watch the fights. Whats the big deal?

I get emotionally invested in shit talk because the loudest mouth get confused for talent. A guy like Chael does nothing in the sport reminiscent of even a young guy like Cruz but he's the best in the weight class? Reminds me of
Bisping or Vera.

A long hype train for talk instead of talent. Frankie isnt marketable like others because his style isnt exciting and he doesnt talk. Not just an issue of words.

Not to mention he almost gets knocked out a lot. Watch veach vs edgar.

Post #7   10/12/11 4:14:51PM   

cowcatcher

Steady MODdin'

cowcatcher Avatar

Career:2,637-1,512
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:

Posted by ghandikush

Not to mention he almost gets knocked out a lot. Watch veach vs edgar.

If anything that makes me like the guy more because he looks like he's done then comes back. It's like Rocky Balboa man. The ability to come back from being hurt/out of the game/whatever is huge in making guys popular in any sport.

Post #8   10/12/11 4:19:00PM   

timothyera

Learning to Sprawl

timothyera Avatar

Career:235-187
Chips:
"I get emotionally invested in shit talk because the loudest mouth get confused for talent. A guy like Chael does nothing in the sport reminiscent of even a young guy like Cruz but he's the best in the weight class."

Dude when its all said and done these guys fight. Thats what we pay to see. The shit talk is just a bonus of sorts, if you like it. But like I said if you don't, then pay no attention to it. Cruz is on everyone's pound for pound list, Sonnen is not. His shit talking is just entertaining and fun to watch. Cruz is also a boring person outside of the cage. I don't think anyone is saying Sonnen is the best in his weight class. That spot of course belongs to Silva. But Chael did almost beat him, and he's defeated all the other top middleweights in the UFC.

Post #9   10/12/11 5:10:26PM