Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Maia: Sonnen obviously training BJJ

Print  
Posted By Message

emfleek

Your Mom Is A Whore

emfleek Avatar

Career:3,180-1,718
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
Guilherme Cruz: I’ve heard you and Sonnen were on the same locker room (at UFC 136). How was it like?

Demian Maia: Yeah, we did... I met him many times before and it wasn’t any different, he was respectful. I have no troubles with him. I know it’s all a marketing plan, he’s trying to sell his fights. Each one of us was warming-up, with our minds on our bouts.

GC: And he applied a submission. What are your thoughts about his Jiu-Jitsu skills?

DM: He’s training Jiu-Jitsu, it’s obvious. He went for his back, tried to fit a punch not only to hit him, but to grab him, and got him.

GC: There was a joke about you training together and he said he would like that...

DM: It was a joke, it ain’t serious (laughs). We fight on the same division, we could fight each other, so there’s no reason why. He’s a really tough guy, a guy to be defeated on this weight division. He likes talking a lot, but he’s tough. Anyone in this division would have a tough fight against him.

GC: The next on the line can be Anderson... How do you see this rematch?

DM: I guess Anderson would be harder to submit on the ground than Stann, because Anderson trains with experts, but Chael doesn’t depend on the submission, he can work on the ground and pound. He’ll be training his takedown defenses so he doesn’t get in trouble like it happened to him before.

LINK

Post #1   10/10/11 11:28:12AM   

Twenty20Dollars

Heavyweight Champ

Career:1,572-1,001
Chips:
I wouldn't mind seeing Sonnen/Maia 2

Post #2   10/10/11 11:37:56AM   

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Career:1,953-1,167
Camp: Canadian Power Team
Chips:

Posted by Twenty20Dollars

Agreed. That would be an awesome fight.

Since the last time they fought Sonnen has been looking better and Maia worse. Sonnen is obviously working on his jiu jitsu, like Maia says. Maia's jiu jitsu is getting worse (I've said this a couple times on here before, sadly no one has picked a fight with me about it yet.)

If Sonnen could take him down and avoid the submissions (still a pretty big if) I could see him winning the second time around. Still, considering Sonnen's historical weakness to subs and Maia's strength there, Maia would have to be the favorite. If that fight happens, the odds may be out of wack considering the hype around Sonnen. I'd probably put some real money on Maia.

Post #3   10/10/11 11:53:43AM   

Bubbles

Come at me bro

Bubbles Avatar

Career:1,153-681
Chips:

Posted by bjj1605

Since the last time they fought Sonnen has been looking better and Maia worse. Sonnen is obviously working on his jiu jitsu, like Maia says. Maia's jiu jitsu is getting worse (I've said this a couple times on here before, sadly no one has picked a fight with me about it yet.)

If Sonnen could take him down and avoid the submissions (still a pretty big if) I could see him winning the second time around. Still, considering Sonnen's historical weakness to subs and Maia's strength there, Maia would have to be the favorite. If that fight happens, the odds may be out of wack considering the hype around Sonnen. I'd probably put some real money on Maia.

and their spots on the MW ladder are far apart for this fight anytime soon. lately Maia has relied a lot more on his striking in his fights rather than taking the fight down early on and working his BJJ. i too would like to see this fight, but if Sonnen loses to Silva hes outta the UFC forever

Last edited 10/10/11 1:47PM server time by bubbles
Edit note/reason: n/a

Men be careful, female sexual predators are using a date rape drug called a Blowjob to trap men into scams called relationships.

Post #4   10/10/11 1:46:33PM   

scoozna

10 Year Service Award Winner

scoozna Avatar

Career:2,957-1,723
Chips:
Makes total sense to me. If he can avoid the sub, he's already got the skillset to beat Silva otherwise...

Post #5   10/10/11 2:54:40PM   

jiujitsufreak74

,,[],, *******,,[],,

jiujitsufreak74 Avatar

Career:1,056-572
Chips:
If Sonnen beats SIlva, we can actually have Maia become MW champion in the future. Maia is a horrible style match-up for Sonnen, and if Maia lines up wins and Chael beats Silva...there is a very real possibility that Maia becomes a MW champion

Post #6   10/10/11 3:20:23PM   

Bubbles

Come at me bro

Bubbles Avatar

Chips:

Posted by jiujitsufreak74

If Sonnen beats SIlva, we can actually have Maia become MW champion in the future. Maia is a horrible style match-up for Sonnen, and if Maia lines up wins and Chael beats Silva...there is a very real possibility that Maia becomes a MW champion

but if the fight stays standing, would Maia still be favoured? he may be technically better but Sonnen i think would have more power in his punches. what if Sonnen decides to Couture that fight? on the ground in the middle of the octagon, i agree Maia should have a relatively easy time

Men be careful, female sexual predators are using a date rape drug called a Blowjob to trap men into scams called relationships.

Post #7   10/10/11 3:57:20PM   

kingsmasher

BANNED

Career:258-155
Chips:

Posted by bjj1605

Ok u gotta fight...Maia BJJ isnt getting worse people are just learning how to stay out...its not hard with a little training to stay out but to get submissions is differnet story...

Post #8   10/10/11 4:10:41PM   

jiujitsufreak74

,,[],, *******,,[],,

jiujitsufreak74 Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Bubbles
but if the fight stays standing, would Maia still be favoured? he may be technically better but Sonnen i think would have more power in his punches. what if Sonnen decides to Couture that fight? on the ground in the middle of the octagon, i agree Maia should have a relatively easy time

we have never seen Chael Sonnen strike without his opponents fearing a takedown. i am just saying it would provide an interesting match up since Maia has greatly improved his striking and would not fear the take down. idk if Maia could outstrike him, but the fact that we have to question it shows that there is a significant possibility that Maia would win. and if Chael was champion, Maia could be then be the next MW champion.

it was just a thought i had because if i were Maia, i would be rooting for SOnnen to beat Silva.

Post #9   10/10/11 4:56:08PM   

Pookie

Remember Paul Herrera

Pookie Avatar

Career:2,212-1,253
Chips:

Posted by kingsmasher

Posted by bjj1605

Ok u gotta fight...Maia BJJ isnt getting worse people are just learning how to stay out...its not hard with a lifetime of training to stay out but to get submissions is differnet story...

fixed

Post #10   10/10/11 5:07:42PM   

Bubbles

Come at me bro

Bubbles Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Bubbles

we have never seen Chael Sonnen strike without his opponents fearing a takedown. i am just saying it would provide an interesting match up since Maia has greatly improved his striking and would not fear the take down. idk if Maia could outstrike him, but the fact that we have to question it shows that there is a significant possibility that Maia would win. and if Chael was champion, Maia could be then be the next MW champion.

it was just a thought i had because if i were Maia, i would be rooting for SOnnen to beat Silva.

good point

Post #11   10/10/11 7:14:52PM   

UFC_Fanatic

MMA Sensei

UFC_Fanatic Avatar

Career:2,759-1,773
Chips:

Posted by Bubbles

If Sonnen beats Silva, not only does Maia have a realistic chance, but so does Jacare when he eventually comes over to the UFC. I actually find a Jacare vs Maia fight sometime down the line very intriguing. Lets say the aforementioned hypothetical situation does go down, and Sonnen does beat Anderson, then Maia beats Sonnen in a rematch that would be greatly intriguing given the aforementioned variables and changes both have made in their games, though Maia has changed more in the grand scheme of things than Sonnen.

Would it not be great for the next fight for Maia be against Jacare for the belt? Both have world class bjj games, though in my opinion Jacare's BJJ trumps Maia's. Plus they already have a competitive history with each other being that Maia and Jacare have competed in grappling competitions against each other where Jacare won 2 out of 3. Now they have both progressed from fighters with very limited striking ability to much better strikers, though still probably not great/elite strikers. I think the way I would sum up their striking is that Maia is the more technical striker of the two and Jacare the much more powerful striker. I must admit though, I haven't seen how Jacare's striking looked against Rockhold yet, so my analysis may be off. Jacare is probably the much better wrestler, or at least his takedowns are much more explosive. I think it would be a great match up if'n you ask me. I'd love to see it.

Post #12   10/10/11 8:54:50PM   

jiujitsufreak74

,,[],, *******,,[],,

jiujitsufreak74 Avatar

Chips:

Posted by UFC_Fanatic

If Sonnen beats Silva, not only does Maia have a realistic chance, but so does Jacare when he eventually comes over to the UFC. I actually find a Jacare vs Maia fight sometime down the line very intriguing. Lets say the aforementioned hypothetical situation does go down, and Sonnen does beat Anderson, then Maia beats Sonnen in a rematch that would be greatly intriguing given the aforementioned variables and changes both have made in their games, though Maia has changed more in the grand scheme of things than Sonnen.

Would it not be great for the next fight for Maia be against Jacare for the belt? Both have world class bjj games, though in my opinion Jacare's BJJ trumps Maia's. Plus they already have a competitive history with each other being that Maia and Jacare have competed in grappling competitions against each other where Jacare won 2 out of 3. Now they have both progressed from fighters with very limited striking ability to much better strikers, though still probably not great/elite strikers. I think the way I would sum up their striking is that Maia is the more technical striker of the two and Jacare the much more powerful striker. I must admit though, I haven't seen how Jacare's striking looked against Rockhold yet, so my analysis may be off. Jacare is probably the much better wrestler, or at least his takedowns are much more explosive. I think it would be a great match up if'n you ask me. I'd love to see it.

completely agreed that Jacare would definitely have a great shot. i also agree that his BJJ is better. the only problem with Jacare is that he just hasn't been using it that much. he isn't mixing up his grappling and striking, just look how he has been fighting lately. he isn't mixing his takedowns and strikes and vice-versa; i just always feel he his either only grappling or only striking. i would love to see him go back to grasppling more in fights.

i would pick Jacare over Maia if they ever fought. i would hope jacare would use his BJJ if he fought Sonnen. The only problem is, is that Silva beats both Maia and Jacare imo. however, if Sonnen beats him maybe he'll retire ending his stranglehold on the MW division. it is going to be a weird day when the MW division becomes the next LHW (pre Jones) division where styles make the fights (not that they make fights in all weight classes, but i mean at LHW there was a revolving door of champions based upon the style match ups).

Post #13   10/10/11 10:04:30PM   

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Career:1,953-1,167
Camp: Canadian Power Team
Chips:

Posted by kingsmasher

Ok u gotta fight...Maia BJJ isnt getting worse people are just learning how to stay out...its not hard with a little training to stay out but to get submissions is differnet story...

Maia's jiu jitsu has absolutely gotten worse. It isn't just the fact that he isn't submitting people, you can see it in his technique. It just doesn't look as crisp or smooth. The trouble he had passing Santiago's guard or maintaining position is proof of that.

Also, if you just think about it, it makes sense. When he was just competing in jiu jitsu, that was all he trained. Now he has to train striking, wrestling, cage work, and combined MMA. The fact that he is devoting less time to training BJJ and the fact that he is no longer actively competing in BJJ both hurt his ground game.

The same thing happened to Koscheck's wrestling.

People often extol the virtues of of "cross-training." I agree that, in general, it is good to be well rounded. But in the case of fighters who made it big based on one major skill, getting away from that skill can hurt them.

In addition to a loss of skill, he has lost the urgency to get it to the ground because he knows he can hang standing.

As to your second comment...

Its so obviously false I don't want to spend much time arguing with you about it. Wrestlers who train extensively in submission defense can win fights against BJJ guys buy holding them down and not doing anything. Ken Shamrock sorta pioneered this style in his second fight with Royce Gracie.

But you have to realize two things: 1) There are limits to this approach. Chael Sonnen, a top level wrestler with EIGHT submission losses, probably realized a long time ago that he had a weakness there. Yet, still, he cotinues to get submitted. He almost got submitted by Stann and might have lost if the ref hadn't stood them up. If it was so easy to just work a little sub defense, don't you think he would've done it by now? 2) There are not that many really TOP jiu jitsu fighters who compete in MMA. Those who do (Maia, Jacare, Roger Gracie) almost always do very well. The fact that jiu jitsu is declining in MMA has more to do with unfair rules and a lack of interest from the BJJ community than it does with some 'wrestling superiority' theory.

Post #14   10/11/11 7:58:38PM