Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Hall of fame and non titlists

Print  
Should fighters that havent won belts be considered for HOF?
Yes 30 73%
No 7 17%
not sure 4 10%
  Page 1 of 3     1     2     3  
Posted By Message

ghandikush

MMA Sensei

ghandikush Avatar

Career:118-71
Chips:
So I read another thread that Florian probably wont get hall of fame status.

I am thinking that a belt probably should be the indicator that you get on the hall of fame. Kenny, Fitch, Kos, Marquardt, Hendo etc all have dominated on a high level and as far as I can think have all faced pretty stiff competition.

Shouldnt these dominant fighters that just never happened across a belt be still considered for a hall of fame spot?

EDIT- I understand Marquardt is outed by the UFC but I thought he was a good example of a non champ who may deserve a spot.

Last edited 10/9/11 11:20PM server time by ghandikush
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #1   10/9/11 11:18:41PM   

Poor_Franklin

Slight Reach Advantage

Poor_Franklin Avatar

Career:1,715-978
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
i voted yes, but while writing this, i realized that im not sure

Post #2   10/9/11 11:55:22PM   

tcunningham

Combat Sport and Fitness

tcunningham Avatar

Career:540-380
Chips:
i went with no. even though there are some great fighters that deserve to be remembered, the HOF is a place for the very greatest and thats it. chuck, hughes, randy, etc. because they were the best of the best without any question. if there is to many fighters in the HOF it loses its luster.

Post #3   10/10/11 12:07:11AM   

Poor_Franklin

Slight Reach Advantage

Poor_Franklin Avatar

Career:1,715-978
Chips:
i would think Fitch would could make it.

the UFC should recognize Hendo's titles in Pride so guys like him & Wandy would be classified as champions in this respect, wouldn't you think?

Post #4   10/10/11 12:24:06AM   

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Career:3,020-1,645
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by Poor_Franklin

the UFC should recognize Hendo's titles in Pride so guys like him & Wandy would be classified as champions in this respect, wouldn't you think?

I'm sure that will be the case. I don't know if they'll put someone like Fedor in, but I'd assume any guys from Pride that came over and also fought in the UFC would get considered based on both their Pride and UFC bodies of work.

Last edited 10/10/11 12:28AM server time by grappler0000
Edit note/reason: n/a
2 total post edits

Post #5   10/10/11 12:26:15AM   

DrivenDavies15

MMA Sensei

DrivenDavies15 Avatar

Career:1,642-941
Chips:
I for sure think that certain people should get inducted into the hall of fame even if they can't obtain a belt. I mean guys who go on and put on a show and help bring the sport up. For example Bonnar vs Griffin was one of the most if not the most important fight for the history of the UFC. If those guys hadn't put on that one of a kind war in '05 the sport could have a different outlook today. Anyway I think both Griffin and Bonnar should be inducted into the hall of fame when their careers decline, regardless if Bonnar has not won a belt or not because both those guys are still the most entertaining fighters in the sport today and changed the UFC forever.

Post #6   10/10/11 1:44:22AM   

Kpro

I STAB WATERBEDS!

Kpro Avatar

Career:2,663-1,374
Chips:
I think every sport's Hall of Fame is a sham with no set rules and a legitimate popularity contest

Debbie Downer huh?

Although, I really liked the idea that, I believe it may have been Tim Kurkjian had when speaking about the MLB Hall of Fame. That they should not just have a Hall of Fame but have a HOF with 3-4 tiers, so then Bert Blyleven and Babe Ruth aren't equivalent, but maybe both are deserving of different tiers. I like the idea but to see it take off would be another story. The UFC/MMA HOF is new enough where they could implement something like that. But it would still be a popularity contest where if you leave the UFC on bad terms even if you were dominant, you're probably not getting in.

Post #7   10/10/11 5:06:47AM   

tmas

Belt Contender

tmas Avatar

Career:1,157-889
Chips:
only title holders getting in is stupid thats like saying in other sports nba, nfl, you must win a championship to be in the HOF....yea right.

Post #8   10/10/11 9:09:06AM   

ghandikush

MMA Sensei

ghandikush Avatar

Chips:

Posted by tmas

only title holders getting in is stupid thats like saying in other sports nba, nfl, you must win a championship to be in the HOF....yea right.

Rich was a really weak dominant champ at mw and a oon a the boom of talent he dropped the title. He ha lot more than Florian.

Post #9   10/10/11 12:05:25PM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:2,685-1,419
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
So who is next to go into hall of fame ??

I would have to say tito ortiz then rich franklin

There are guys who don't have titles who may deserve to go
Florian is one. But how bout jon fitch?? Diego sanchez? Bisping?

Post #10   10/10/11 12:21:42PM   

bigrand826

MMA Regular

bigrand826 Avatar

Career:833-506
Chips:

Posted by tmas

It is far different in team sport, though. MMA is really an individual sport. Sure, your team helps you train, but when it is go time, it's just you and your opponent. You don't have your teammates in there helping or hurting you.

However, I don't know that you can just say only title holders get in. I can understand the argument, but someone could potentially be the 2nd best of an era (or ever) in a weight division and never win a belt. I know some people wouldn't put Fitch in due to his style, but he could fall into this category.

Post #11   10/10/11 2:25:13PM   

ghandikush

MMA Sensei

ghandikush Avatar

Chips:

Posted by prozacnation1978

So who is next to go into hall of fame ??

I would have to say tito ortiz then rich franklin

There are guys who don't have titles who may deserve to go
Florian is one. But how bout jon fitch?? Diego sanchez? Bisping?

Bisping and Diego probably arent close to retiring, but if Diego was he should be in the HOF for smashing top ranked fighters since 2006, just as long as Frankie Cain and Jones.

Post #12   10/10/11 2:40:57PM   

bigrand826

MMA Regular

bigrand826 Avatar

Career:833-506
Chips:

Posted by ghandikush

Posted by tmas

Rich was a really weak dominant champ at mw and a oon a the boom of talent he dropped the title. He ha lot more than Florian.

This is something different though. I don't think he was saying that everyone who held a title deserves to be in the HOF. Does Matt Serra deserve to be in the HOF? I don't think so.

I do see your point on Rich, though. For me, it is hard to judge his merits. Who is the best guy at MW that he beat? Okami? Evan Tanner? Losing badly to Anderson twice isn't really all that bad, but the MW division was very weak. I think you can use his fights outside of MW to help determine if he should be in or out ahead of someone who fought in a much tougher division or divisions but never won a title.

Post #13   10/10/11 2:48:30PM   

Pookie

Remember Paul Herrera

Pookie Avatar

Career:1,959-1,091
Chips:
Florian would be one of those maybe cases. He challenged for a title in 2 different weight classes, and competed in 4. But what really hinders him is that he never really beat any of the best guys. Guida is probably his best win.

But i did vote yes, Non Titlists should be included in the Hall of fame discussion, and their resume/talent should do most of the arguement for their case.

And also, i don't think getting a belt automatically gurantees you a spot in the HOF

Henderson - Absolutely
Jon Fitch - Yes
Diego - No

Serra - Absolutely not
Mike Brown - Nope
Lesnar - Not even

Post #14   10/10/11 5:03:30PM   

ghandikush

MMA Sensei

ghandikush Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Pookie

Florian would be one of those maybe cases. He challenged for a title in 2 different weight classes, and competed in 4. But what really hinders him is that he never really beat any of the best guys. Guida is probably his best win.

But i did vote yes, Non Titlists should be included in the Hall of fame discussion, and their resume/talent should do most of the arguement for their case.

And also, i don't think getting a belt automatically gurantees you a spot in the HOF

Henderson - Absolutely
Jon Fitch - Yes
Diego - No

Serra - Absolutely not
Mike Brown - Nope
Lesnar - Not even

Florian beat Joe daddy back when he wa a top contender, he beat Huerta when Huerta was one of the biggest rising stars in the sport, he beat Din Thomas when Din was making a comebac and one or two fights from a title, he beat Lauzon when Lauzon was riding a hype train undefeated in the UFC.

He ha been competing in the UFC since he was 2-2 in 05 and has since taken all those heads.

Post #15   10/11/11 10:33:08PM   

Page 1 of 3     1     2     3