Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Forget Silva/GSP!!!!, Edgar/Aldo is the next SuperFight!!!

Print  
Posted By Message

BustedKnuckle

MMA Sensei

BustedKnuckle Avatar

Career:659-381
Chips:
GSP/Silva is a long way off weight wise from both ends of the spectrum. But at 155 Edgar and Aldo are both about at natural weight. For this fight lovers money that is the best match up in history!!! Make it at 150 and make it for both belts. Frankie could easily make 145 to defend the Fly Weight belt and Aldo would be at natural weight to defend the Light Weight belt. This makes sense and could be hypd a the BIGGEST FIGHT IN UFC HISTORY!!!!!

Last edited 10/9/11 7:25PM server time by bustedknuckle
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #1   10/9/11 7:24:45PM   

Kpro

I STAB WATERBEDS!

Kpro Avatar

Career:2,360-1,218
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
They can't make it at 150 for both belts, or even 146 since one pound over's aren't allowed in title fights. As far as I know there's no way to have both titles on the line. As soon as they get as low as 145 it's no longer a LW bout, and once they hit 155, it's no longer a FW bout. No exceptions in title fights in any state. But one title could be on the line for sure. I don't see any way it would be Edgar moving down though so it'd have to be Aldo moving up and he'd have to vacate his belt to do it which would make Kenny Florian very happy. But not as happy as Keith Florian.

Last edited 10/9/11 7:36PM server time by Kpro

Post #2   10/9/11 7:35:05PM   

Adrenaline

MMA Sensei

Adrenaline Avatar

Career:-
Chips:

Posted by Kpro

They can't make it at 150 for both belts, or even 146 since one pound over's aren't allowed in title fights. As far as I know there's no way to have both titles on the line. As soon as they get as low as 145 it's no longer a LW bout, and once they hit 155, it's no longer a FW bout. No exceptions in title fights in any state. But one title could be on the line for sure. I don't see any way it would be Edgar moving down though so it'd have to be Aldo moving up and he'd have to vacate his belt to do it which would make Kenny Florian very happy. But not as happy as Keith Florian.

Dana was recently asked this, I can't remember if it was at one of the press conferences or during an interview whether or not Frankie could go after the 145 strap and decide which belt he wanted to keep if he won. Dana said that he would not let him (basically because of what you just described) and said that Frankie would have to vacate his 155 belt if he wanted a chance at the FW title.

BJ Penn is the only one that has been given this opportunity if I remember. I think it was because at that time 155 had no real challengers for him and the magnitude of that fight with GSP made it a huge cash cow. With the long list of challengers lining up at 155 now I can see why Dana wouldn't want to tie up both belts.

Post #3   10/9/11 7:53:36PM   

Twenty20Dollars

Heavyweight Champ

Career:1,572-1,001
Chips:
GSP/Silva is still bigger, because those two have been dominating their divisions and are bigger stars.

Edgar hasn't "dominated" like GSP/Silva.

Although I do think we might see Edgar/Aldo sooner than GSP/Silva, and it will be Aldo coming up to 155 to face Edgar. As Aldo has talked about moving up eventually.

Post #4   10/9/11 8:08:49PM   

ghandikush

MMA Sensei

ghandikush Avatar

Career:118-71
Chips:
I think it is required for Frankie to not almost lose the majority of his high profile fights before he is top 5 p4p. Even Veach even almost knocked his block off.

Post #5   10/9/11 11:08:13PM   

postman

Heavyweight Champ

postman Avatar

Career:746-420
Chips:
I think Aldo would put Frankie to bed. Hands would be too fast.

Post #6   10/10/11 9:27:37AM   

BuffaloDave

Heavyweight Champ

BuffaloDave Avatar

Career:860-491
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:

Posted by BustedKnuckle

GSP/Silva is a long way off weight wise from both ends of the spectrum. But at 155 Edgar and Aldo are both about at natural weight. For this fight lovers money that is the best match up in history!!! Make it at 150 and make it for both belts. Frankie could easily make 145 to defend the Fly Weight belt and Aldo would be at natural weight to defend the Light Weight belt. [b]This makes sense and could be hypd a the BIGGEST FIGHT IN UFC HISTORY!!!!! [/b]

As previously mentioned, there could be no catch weight for a title. That just isn't right and would defeat the purpose of have weight classes. Also, both of these guys are a long way off before you can hype this as the biggest fight in UFC history. There are still a few challengers left for Edgar at LW. Aldo still has Mendes to worry about as well.

Besides I thought the Superfight everyone was talking about now is Silva/Jones.

Post #7   10/10/11 11:43:28AM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:2,291-1,224
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
I think edgar still has a few more title contenders he needs to face and
Aldo needs to at least face mendes

Post #8   10/10/11 12:14:10PM   

kingsmasher

BANNED

Career:258-155
Chips:

Posted by postman

I think Aldo would put Frankie to bed. Hands would be too fast.

No way....Aldo just went to a deecision with Florian and it was no way dominant..

Edgar has beat the hell out of guys who would beat the hell out of Florian...BJ Penn and Maynard crush Florian...

Aldo would go down to about 4 guys at LW until he actually learns to wrestle...

Just cause he beat Faber and Mike Brown...both didnt wrestle him...Finally someone has the right idea and knows how to beat Aldo that is Mendes...mendes own Faber in wrestling and has already stated he wont stand with Aldo...at 145 Aldo gas takn will be in question..YOU can already see hes not as explosive in teh Florian fight...due to cardio...Mendes might not beat him but in the LW division Maynard would crush Aldo..>Edgar would out box him..

You cant base Aldos speed on what hes done to these other fighters who quite frankly stood right in front of him...Edgar is the best boxer in MMA...best movement and knows how to take direction...thats why he never got upper cut after the first rd...

Post #9   10/10/11 4:06:18PM   

timothyera

Learning to Sprawl

timothyera Avatar

Career:235-187
Chips:
I wish they would just do away with 145 and 135. Make a 140 weight class and have Aldo and Edgar fight for the belt. If Aldo can't cut the weight he should be fighting at lightweight. The UFC has too many champions especially when they add the 125 weight class. It's watering down the belts, look at boxing. You don't see a 255, 245, and 235 weight class do you? And I know it's harder for the smaller guys to cut weight and all that other shit but come on. Guys are just cutting down not because they aren't fighting at their natural weight class, its because they can't beat the champions. Its bullshit.

Post #10   10/10/11 4:27:27PM   

Kpro

I STAB WATERBEDS!

Kpro Avatar

Career:2,360-1,218
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by timothyera

The UFC has too many champions especially when they add the 125 weight class. It's watering down the belts, look at boxing. You don't see a 255, 245, and 235 weight class do you?

Boxing has 105, 108, 112, 115, 118, 122, 126, 130, 135, 140, 147, 154, 160, 168, 175, 200, and unlimited divisions. The UFC has 7 divisions/titles and would have 8 divisions/titles with a 125 addition. Boxing has 17 divisions (18 for the sanctioning bodies that have a super-cruiserweight division). 17 divisions with 4 widely recognized sanctioning bodies (WBA, IBF, WBC, WBO). So that's 68 world titles widely recognized, not counting The Ring's 17 world titles which makes 85. Then if we look into less recognized sanctioning bodies we're well into the hundreds. Any boxer that gets a few wins is already a "champ" somewhere before their promoter even steps them up to average competition.

Last edited 10/10/11 5:35PM server time by Kpro

Post #11   10/10/11 5:26:52PM   

bigrand826

MMA Regular

bigrand826 Avatar

Career:781-480
Chips:

Posted by prozacnation1978

I think edgar still has a few more title contenders he needs to face and
Aldo needs to at least face mendes

I completely agree. LW is the deepest division as far as I'm concerned. Right now I don't see a contender for Aldo outside of Mendes, but someone could emerge by the time that fight happens. If no one does, then I could see Aldo moving up to LW, but I would not have him face the LW champ right away. the LW division was already log-jammed due to the Edgar-Maynard rematch. It would not be right to have Aldo come in and leap-frog all the accomplished LWs when he hasn't proven proven himself in that division. If the LW division wasn't so deep, I might not have a problem with it.

Given the circumstances, it may make more sense for the UFC to have Edgar move down if they are serious about making this fight. However, I don't see why Edgar would vacate his LW title. And you can't have him keep his LW belt while he moves down because you can't prolong the LW log-jam. Also, it does appear that Aldo will have to move to LW at some point.

I do get the feeling that this is the most likely 'superfight' to happen, even if it doesn't happen for quite a while. I doubt GSP will ever agree to fight Silva. And Silva doesn't sound like he has any interest in fighting Jones.

Post #12   10/12/11 9:14:17AM   

bigrand826

MMA Regular

bigrand826 Avatar

Career:781-480
Chips:

Posted by Kpro

Posted by timothyera

The UFC has too many champions especially when they add the 125 weight class. It's watering down the belts, look at boxing. You don't see a 255, 245, and 235 weight class do you?

Boxing has 105, 108, 112, 115, 118, 122, 126, 130, 135, 140, 147, 154, 160, 168, 175, 200, and unlimited divisions. The UFC has 7 divisions/titles and would have 8 divisions/titles with a 125 addition. Boxing has 17 divisions (18 for the sanctioning bodies that have a super-cruiserweight division). 17 divisions with 4 widely recognized sanctioning bodies (WBA, IBF, WBC, WBO). So that's 68 world titles widely recognized, not counting The Ring's 17 world titles which makes 85. Then if we look into less recognized sanctioning bodies we're well into the hundreds. Any boxer that gets a few wins is already a "champ" somewhere before their promoter even steps them up to average competition.

Don't forget that some of those sanctioning bodies have multiple champions in a single division (most notably the WBA).

Post #13   10/12/11 9:19:02AM