Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

UFC boss says Dallas stadium show still possible, Silva-Sonnen II to headline?

Print  
Posted By Message

Budgellism

Raptors Fan

Budgellism Avatar

Career:2,716-1,550
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
After hosting a another successful show in the Lone Star State, the UFC could return to Texas with an even bigger event.

It fact, the state could host the UFC's next major stadium show.

And following his impressive victory over Brian Stann at Saturday's UFC 136 event at Houston's Toyota Center, Chael Sonnen could get his long-awaited rematch in the show's headliner.

White said he currently has no plans for a next stadium show; the first, of course, took back in April when a UFC and North American record 55,724 attendees packed Toronto's Rogers Centre. But should a second one be put together, Dallas' 110,000-seat Cowboys Stadium could be the venue.

"We've been talking to (Cowboys owner) Jerry Jones for a while about doing a fight there," White said. "It's just got to be the right fight. We're definitely going there. It's just a matter of when."

So how does he know when the timing is right? After all, White, who made a triumphant return to Brazil back in August, greatly underestimated the demand in the country and saw 14,000 seats sell out in just 74 minutes. Next year, UFC CEO Lorenzo Fertitta said the Convention Center of Manaus (one of many "sambadromes" located throughout Brazil) – an outdoor venue that can hold up to 100,000 fans – could be the next host site.

"It's a gut (thing)," White said. "We kind of go with our gut, and we've been right. We knew Toronto was going to be big, so we went for the big stadium there. We [expletive] Brazil up last time we went there. We didn't nail that one, but we won't make that mistake twice."

As for Dallas, White said it's only a matter of time.

LINK

Post #1   10/9/11 10:37:48AM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:2,339-1,246
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
I doubt for silva vs sonnen or in feb
I do think 2012. We will see a ufc fight at the stadium
Double title event

Post #2   10/9/11 12:49:33PM   

FastKnockout

THE RUTHLESS ONE

FastKnockout Avatar

Career:1,665-930
Chips:
I don't care to see the rematch at all. Not after Sonnen went all "WWE" on us last night.

Post #3   10/9/11 1:11:03PM   

Budgellism

Raptors Fan

Budgellism Avatar

Career:2,716-1,550
Chips:

Posted by FastKnockout

I don't care to see the rematch at all. Not after Sonnen went all "WWE" on us last night.

It felt very pro wrasslin but I loved it. It's a very marketable fight.

Post #4   10/9/11 1:17:54PM   

crazylondon

Learning to Sprawl

crazylondon Avatar

Career:1,082-591
Camp: Nuthin But The Best
Chips:
Personally, IMO, I think if they`re going to use that Stadium they`re going to do everything they can to sell it out. Doing the stadium in Toronto, to me, seems like more easy of a task considering Ontario had been waiting to be sanctioned for so long, and because as soon as a Canadian card it is posted it fills up right away (although I do believe the 2nd Vancouver card didn`t, but that is on the west coast and had to draw from a smaller population).

Yes the idea of watching it in that stadium in and of itself is alluring (and will help to draw fans), but to try and sell an venue of that size I think that you would need either two belts, or one of the two potential super fights, those being Silva vs. either GSP or (I believe more likely now) Jones.

Post #5   10/9/11 1:41:13PM   

zstajerski

Learning to Sprawl

zstajerski Avatar

Career:686-478
Camp: the thuggee's
Chips:
For me personal, as a EU football (soccer) "fan" I love the atmosphere of stadiums! Should be awesome In Brasil, but the ppl in USA and Canada (where there are no real "fan groups" do not make the same "contribution" as ppl in football oriented continents ;)
IMHO, UFCs held in stadiums are for South America and Europe! Thats where the "12th player" will show in the general ambient of the event!

edit:
btw- sonnen can win or lose a title in any match.. he never was or will be a true consistant champ! I still think that Hendo should take the title from silva, but sonnen seems like the right/wrong matchup for the spyder.. hendo relys on his H-bomb whilst sonnen knows he cant stand up with silva and takes the wrraaastllllling road... Hendo has shoghun at LHW anyways so no sense in talking him atm!

Last edited 10/9/11 2:12PM server time by zstajerski
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #6   10/9/11 2:06:39PM   

prophecy033

REBEL WITH A CAUSE

prophecy033 Avatar

Career:1,960-1,164
Chips:

Posted by zstajerski

For me personal, as a EU football (soccer) "fan" I love the atmosphere of stadiums! Should be awesome In Brasil, but the ppl in USA and Canada (where there are no real "fan groups" do not make the same "contribution" as ppl in football oriented continents ;)
IMHO, UFCs held in stadiums are for South America and Europe! Thats where the "12th player" will show in the general ambient of the event!

edit:
btw- sonnen can win or lose a title in any match.. he never was or will be a true consistant champ! I still think that Hendo should take the title from silva, but sonnen seems like the right/wrong matchup for the spyder.. hendo relys on his H-bomb whilst sonnen knows he cant stand up with silva and takes the wrraaastllllling road... Hendo has shoghun at LHW anyways so no sense in talking him atm!

No real fan groups in the U.S.? Check some of the college football fan groups and then revisit this comment

Post #7   10/9/11 2:15:32PM   

Manak

Belt Contender

Manak Avatar

Career:164-106
Camp: UFC-PRIDE-MMA
Chips:
put this along with the hw title or lhw title, I know it is a short turnaround for hw & lhw but man that would pack the stadium

Post #8   10/9/11 7:02:55PM   

Bubbles

Come at me bro

Bubbles Avatar

Career:1,120-670
Chips:

Posted by Manak

put this along with the hw title or lhw title, I know it is a short turnaround for hw & lhw but man that would pack the stadium

GSP vs Diaz as the co-main would work (cuz i think both will win at 137)

Men be careful, female sexual predators are using a date rape drug called a Blowjob to trap men into scams called relationships.

Post #9   10/10/11 11:55:17AM   

bigrand826

MMA Regular

bigrand826 Avatar

Career:815-493
Chips:

Posted by crazylondon

Personally, IMO, I think if they`re going to use that Stadium they`re going to do everything they can to sell it out. Doing the stadium in Toronto, to me, seems like more easy of a task considering Ontario had been waiting to be sanctioned for so long, and because as soon as a Canadian card it is posted it fills up right away (although I do believe the 2nd Vancouver card didn`t, but that is on the west coast and had to draw from a smaller population).

Yes the idea of watching it in that stadium in and of itself is alluring (and will help to draw fans), but to try and sell an venue of that size I think that you would need either two belts, or one of the two potential super fights, those being Silva vs. either GSP or (I believe more likely now) Jones.

It would take quite a card to sell it out. I was there for the Pac-Clottey fight and they pulled a little over 50k attendance, if I recall (and I think a number of those were given away). My seats were in what was the endzone and I could see alright, but people buying upper deck seats would just be getting them to say they were there (would just be watching the massive screens). The top level seats would have to be pretty damn cheap. I also don't know that the Dallas area has the concentration of MMA fans. I could be wrong. I just know that the Overeem-Werdum attendance was terrible, but I think that had a lot to do with the lack of promotion. That even was after the Zuffa takeover and after they fired all the Strikeforce staff. It didn't appear to me that Zuffa did anything to promote the event.

Post #10   10/10/11 3:17:13PM