Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Wat org is Wandy gonna fight in???

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

blkssncpt

MMA Regular

Career:434-334
Chips:
Wats up guys after his loss to Hendo is Silva's contract still active with pride?? And is he still gonna fight thier?? I saw the video when he was at UFC 65 or 66 or something like that, and Dana White brought him up (he was wearing a PRIDE shirt) and Silva said he would like to come back and fight Liddel for the belt and seeing as thier all under one ownership now,anyone now got any info on him lately??? Hopfully this fight will come sooner than later??

Post #1   5/10/07 3:08:43PM   

pv3Hpv3p

Heavyweight Champ

pv3Hpv3p Avatar

Career:827-576
Chips:
There were a few articles posted a while back that said Dana and Chuck (or at least Dana) wan't interested in the fight anymore because Wand has lost back to back fights via KO... Take that for what it's worth...

I also remember hearing that Sakakibara flew out to Brazil to secure the big Chutebox and BTT contracts before the sale to the Fertita's, and I think that Wandy was one of the names mentioned... Sorry I'm too lazy to post links, but I think it should be in the news forum if you dig around

Personally I think Wand would stay with Pride... He seems very loyal to them and loves fighting in Japan... IMO, I think they should have him fight Sokodjou, to see if Soko can stand and bang with an aggresive striker.

Post #2   5/10/07 3:23:46PM   

johny_rotten

Standup Guy

johny_rotten Avatar

Career:125-71
Camp: 518 Death Squad
Chips:
They secured Shogun not Wandy. The word with Wandy is the same with Fedor. If they have any fights left on their contracts it is only 1.

Dana has said there will be no roster jumping. That Pride fighters will stay in Pride, and the same goes for the UFC. That the only time you will see Pride fighters in the UFC is for the "Super Bowl of MMA" shows. Big Nog was a free agent, and was singed by the UFC before the sale went threw on May first.

Post #3   5/10/07 3:29:26PM   

nubby

Banned

nubby Avatar

Career:212-114
Camp: Punishment Athletics
Chips:
I wouldn't bet money on what Dana said. He also said that Pride would see no changes even though now it's going to be under Nevada gaming unified rules, which incidently means no more head stomps and knees to downed opponents. How is that not changing Pride?

Post #4   5/10/07 3:35:10PM   

pv3Hpv3p

Heavyweight Champ

pv3Hpv3p Avatar

Career:827-576
Chips:

Posted by nubby

I wouldn't bet money on what Dana said. He also said that Pride would see no changes even though now it's going to be under Nevada gaming unified rules, which incidently means no more head stomps and knees to downed opponents. How is that not changing Pride?

I think his reasoning behind that was that when they had their two Pride shows in the US, they followed the NSAC unified rules... Or something like that...

I agree though, can't really believe much that comes out of Dana's mouth, like when he said that he wouldn't have anything to do with the new Pride, and all of the sudden he's signing fighters and so on :rolleyes:... The guy's done a great job in taking the sport to a next level, but (excuse the reference) he seems like he's turning into a Vince McMahon type...

Post #5   5/10/07 3:48:11PM   

Mayo

Standup Guy

Mayo Avatar

Career:261-179
Camp: Downtown Chi-Town
Chips:
I think once they run out of fighters for Chuck to go through, there will be nobody left and then they will feed Wandy to him.

Post #6   5/10/07 5:54:43PM   

johny_rotten

Standup Guy

johny_rotten Avatar

Chips:

Posted by nubby

Dana said he would unify the rules before the Pride sale was even official. I agree though I have no faith in what Dana or Zuffa ever says. They first said Dana would have nothing to do with Pride, and that has been proven wrong. Who knows what else they will contradict as well. I wish they would start doing something with Pride.

Post #7   5/10/07 6:33:07PM   

AdamG

Learning to Sprawl

AdamG Avatar

Career:601-428
Camp: SF Fight Fans
Chips:
I have come to learn that this year in MMA is the year not to believe the hype. Between all of the rumors, lies and upsets, why believe anything until it actually happens?

I heard that the brass at Pride tried to secure another contract with Wandi before it was purchased by Zuffa. Wandi wanted more money than they wanted to give, so he didn't re-sign. So, he's got only one maybe two fights left on his contract, and then he'll re-negotiate.

He's lost two in a row now, and Shogun is the new #1 contender over at Pride, so a switch over to the UFC wouldn't be bad for Wandi. At least they'll have another contender at LHW, because if Chuck beats Rampage, who will be left?

Post #8   5/10/07 8:44:30PM   

Ultimate_fighter

Banned

Career:270-165
Chips:
UFC!

Post #9   5/12/07 5:44:43PM   

Ultimate_fighter

Banned

Chips:
I just found out that he is always is Thiago Silva's corner, and Thiago is fightin Irvin right away, maybe Dana will say something about him fightin in UFC... that would be great

Post #10   5/13/07 7:34:28PM   

Ultimate_fighter

Banned

Chips:

Posted by Mayo

I think once they run out of fighters for Chuck to go through, there will be nobody left and then they will feed Wandy to him.

Chuck said, win or lose, he is moving to heavyweight, he wants fedor!

Post #11   5/13/07 7:38:00PM   

Manfred

MMA Sensei

Manfred Avatar

Career:596-351
Chips:

Posted by johny_rotten

They secured Shogun not Wandy. The word with Wandy is the same with Fedor. If they have any fights left on their contracts it is only 1.

Dana has said there will be no roster jumping. That Pride fighters will stay in Pride, and the same goes for the UFC. That the only time you will see Pride fighters in the UFC is for the "Super Bowl of MMA" shows. Big Nog was a free agent, and was singed by the UFC before the sale went threw on May first.

Fedor is said to signed a four fight extension before the sale of PRIDE. This LINK only says extension but I'm sure I remembered reading it was for 4 fights. Dana's problem is that it is non-exclusive and has threatened injunctions.

This "Super Bowl" is clearly BS. They seem happy to let the UFC have all the talent. The sale was in works for more than an year and it was all but finalized by the New Year. Yet they proceeeded to pick up Werdum and Big Nog.

As to Wandy, I'd like to see him back in the UFC. Almost 6 years running as PRIDE MW Champ and until Hendo, only one loss (Arona decision) is his weight class. He has nothing left to prove in that org and it'll give Shogun his shot.

Post #12   5/14/07 12:09:21AM   

Manfred

MMA Sensei

Manfred Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Ultimate_fighter

Chuck said, win or lose, he is moving to heavyweight, he wants fedor!

If Chuck beats Rampage, he should move up. But Fedor would destroy him. As would CC. I admire his balls, but I can't see him beating either.

Post #13   5/14/07 12:22:34AM   

johny_rotten

Standup Guy

johny_rotten Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Manfred

Posted by johny_rotten

Fedor is said to signed a four fight extension before the sale of PRIDE. This LINK only says extension but I'm sure I remembered reading it was for 4 fights. Dana's problem is that it is non-exclusive and has threatened injunctions.

This "Super Bowl" is clearly BS. They seem happy to let the UFC have all the talent. The sale was in works for more than an year and it was all but finalized by the New Year. Yet they proceeeded to pick up Werdum and Big Nog.

As to Wandy, I'd like to see him back in the UFC. Almost 6 years running as PRIDE MW Champ and until Hendo, only one loss (Arona decision) is his weight class. He has nothing left to prove in that org and it'll give Shogun his shot.

I am not sure about your sources. No terms of the Fedor extension were disclosed in that article. That article was posted on 1/7/07, and Fedor hasn't apeared in either of the 2 Pride events since. MMA fighter's contracts are usually time sensative as well as fights. Most don't sign any longer than a year, and we are already just about half way to the end of 2007, and still no Fedor in Pride.

Why is the "Super Bowl" BS? Even if it only happens once it will be a huge PPV event. More than likely the biggest in MMA history. You talk about how the UFC took some stars away. I don't think they are that connected to the sale of Pride. The UFC had to take measures to make the HW class entertaining. After Tim/AA 3 and then Tim/Monson it is no surprise Dana started offering big money to Pride's HW fighters. The UFC hasn't taken anyone from any other weight class. Pride still has a very deep LHW, and LW class. MW isn't as deep, but some huge rising stars in Kang and Filho, and then Henderson is just as big as anyone at 185 in the UFC. HW you still have 2 of the best in the world in Fedor(if he is still there) and Barnett.

Post #14   5/14/07 1:14:23AM   

Manfred

MMA Sensei

Manfred Avatar

Chips:
^ I'm sure I remember reading it, but things have changed I guess, here's a new interview I just found.

Link

He clearly says he has no MMA contract right now

Post #15   5/14/07 2:30:51AM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2