Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

After fearing for career, Josh Koscheck moving to UFC's 'moneyweight' division

Print  
Posted By Message

Budgellism

Randy

Budgellism Avatar

Career:2,900-1,652
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
After returning from a nine-month layoff on short notice to defeat Matt Hughes at this past month's UFC 135 event, perennial welterweight contender Josh Koscheck (16-5 MMA, 14-5 UFC) is currently awaiting his next assignment.

And while UFC president Dana White has made it clear a coveted spot on November's UFC 139 card isn't going to happen, Koscheck says he'd like to return near the end of the year.

But whether or not that appearance comes at 170 or 185 pounds remains to be seen. Koscheck, a 19-time UFC veteran, said he's got a new perspective on fighting.

"I'm a money fighter," Koscheck told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) during this weekend's UFC Fan Expo Houston 2011. "I want big fights.

"I'm 33 (years old). I've been fighting for a long time now. I just want big fights. I'll fight anybody at 185 or 170. I don't care. I just want big fights, big names."

LINK

Post #1   10/8/11 9:41:42AM   

SmileR

Buy the ticket, take the ride

SmileR Avatar

Career:1,284-761
Chips:
This is what fighters say when they know they can't fight for the belt anymore.

I was born to lead, not to read!!!!

Post #2   10/8/11 10:11:29AM   

airkerma

KE Released in MAtter

airkerma Avatar

Career:1,067-623
Chips:
He had his shot at GSP and it looks like he doesn't want more of that.

Post #3   10/8/11 12:08:17PM   

Twenty20Dollars

Heavyweight Champ

Career:1,572-1,001
Chips:
Idk if he gets title shot at MW.

But I think there could be some good matchups at MW.

Post #4   10/8/11 12:26:13PM   

Kugel

MMA Regular

Kugel Avatar

Career:1,538-911
Chips:

Posted by SmileR

Everyone in the 170 division needs to think this way. GSP is going to be tough to beat for a long time. Unfortunately, we may not see the belt change hands in the 170, 185, and 205 divisions for a long time (barring retirement).

Post #5   10/8/11 1:24:16PM   

Manak

Belt Contender

Manak Avatar

Career:164-106
Camp: UFC-PRIDE-MMA
Chips:

Posted by Kugel

Posted by SmileR

Everyone in the 170 division needs to think this way. GSP is going to be tough to beat for a long time. Unfortunately, we may not see the belt change hands in the 170, 185, and 205 divisions for a long time (barring retirement).

This

Post #6   10/8/11 1:52:18PM   

ruyen

Learning to Sprawl

ruyen Avatar

Career:1,165-690
Chips:

Posted by Kugel

Posted by SmileR

Yep. I think they should all get together and simultaneously move up in weight to continue their legacies. Especially if they're not going to fight each other.

Post #7   10/8/11 2:04:20PM   

DrivenDavies15

MMA Sensei

DrivenDavies15 Avatar

Career:1,519-865
Chips:
Honestly I want to see Koscheck move up to 185, there's just as many interesting fights there so hopefully that's what he decides to do

Post #8   10/8/11 2:39:29PM   

Sir_Karl

MMA Sensei

Sir_Karl Avatar

Career:2,275-1,535
Chips:

Posted by SmileR

While your statement may have some truth to it....why not give Koscheck the benefit of the doubt? Maybe he is being sincere and honest. Maybe he means what he says. Maybe your assumption is way off base. So much for "being innocent until proven guilty". Who says he "can't fight for the belt anymore"? You think GSP or Silva is going to reign forever? Doubt it. I think Silva is going to lose if he faces Sonnen again and I think GSP may lose to Condit and will lose to Diaz. When and if those things transpire....Koscheck will be able to "fight for the belt" again. How many fighters "who can't fight for the belt anymore" have said that anyhow? Can you name some? You might possibly be right...but on the other hand you may also have absolutely no clue as to what is going on in Josh Koscheck's head.

Post #9   10/8/11 3:06:29PM   

tmas

Belt Contender

tmas Avatar

Career:1,091-851
Chips:

Posted by Sir_Karl

Posted by SmileR

While your statement may have some truth to it....why not give Koscheck the benefit of the doubt? Maybe he is being sincere and honest. Maybe he means what he says. Maybe your assumption is way off base. So much for "being innocent until proven guilty". Who says he "can't fight for the belt anymore"? You think GSP or Silva is going to reign forever? Doubt it. I think Silva is going to lose if he faces Sonnen again and I think GSP may lose to Condit and will lose to Diaz. When and if those things transpire....Koscheck will be able to "fight for the belt" again. How many fighters "who can't fight for the belt anymore" have said that anyhow? Can you name some? You might possibly be right...but on the other hand you may also have absolutely no clue as to what is going on in Josh Koscheck's head.

eh what? No no...no... its actually true at this point in his career Kos is out of the title picture, and will be for a while unless he does something crazy like make dana happy by fighting Fitch and winning. He will have to put togehter a solid 4-5 wins and there be no other contenders before he gets another shot.

Post #10   10/8/11 3:55:42PM   

Bubbles

Come at me bro

Bubbles Avatar

Career:1,120-670
Chips:

Posted by Sir_Karl

Posted by SmileR

if its taking Fitch 10 fights without a loss to get a rematch, how bad do you think it would be for Koscheck?

Men be careful, female sexual predators are using a date rape drug called a Blowjob to trap men into scams called relationships.

Post #11   10/8/11 4:48:09PM   

BigBadAl

In Full Mount

BigBadAl Avatar

Career:408-321
Chips:

Posted by Sir_Karl

Posted by SmileR

Not sure if serious

Post #12   10/8/11 6:59:52PM   

SmileR

Buy the ticket, take the ride

SmileR Avatar

Career:1,284-761
Chips:

Posted by BigBadAl

Posted by Sir_Karl

Posted by SmileR

Not sure if serious

Hughes, Serra & Randy spring to mind as guys who have said they were only interested in the big name fights and that was after losing in title matches. I don't think either guy is going to reign forever but it's going to take someone special to beat either of them. Kos got outclassed everywhere by GSP so I don't see how he can change enough to beat the younger, more athletic, more technical fighter. Especially since he's given interviews saying he can't see himself fighting to Randy's age and he's only 6 or 7 years younger than him. I've got to disagree with GSP losing to Condit an Diaz but it hasn't happened yet so who knows.

Also I don't really get the Silva part of your post or the innocent until proven guilty part either so I'll just leave that part alone.

You're right though I have no idea whats going on in his head, but considering he's saying hes open to fights at WW and MW I don't see him making a run for a title unless he commits to one class. Also its something boxers have said after losing there belts and knowing they can't win them back for years. So it kind of reminds me of that too.

I was born to lead, not to read!!!!

Post #13   10/8/11 9:41:36PM   

newgrrrl

Learning to Sprawl

Career:347-201
Chips:

Posted by Kugel

Posted by SmileR

I agree. This is coming from a fighter who has had been crushed twice by GSP. He still is a great fighter and is very competitive, but if he hasn't got a chance at gold, why stay at welterweight.

It also seems like the eye injury made him realize how quickly the big paychecks can stop coming his way, so he better make big fights for himself so he can put some money away for the future.

Post #14   10/9/11 2:11:51PM   

MaxOne

Captain Doctor

MaxOne Avatar

Career:862-586
Camp: Team Syntax
Chips:

Posted by SmileR

Especially since he's given interviews saying he can't see himself fighting to Randy's age and he's only 6 or 7 years younger than him.

Kos is 33. Randy is 48. He still has a few years to go :)

Post #15   10/9/11 4:16:39PM